Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering w/ Canon 1Ds Mark II  (Read 11585 times)

RicAgu

Tethering w/ Canon 1Ds Mark II
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:32:28 pm »

Hello All,

sorry I placed this in MFDB section but this is the section where Pro's discuss tethering.

Does anyone have any other solution to shooting tethered with Canon's other than C1Pro?  I believe you cannot shoot tethered with LR and I have never even installed the Canon utilities disc, so not sure about that.

I have a new catalog client and it will all be shot tethered and there is no need to shoot it with Phase as it will be all web based, even for print catalog the Canon would be more than enough.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Ric

jeremydillon

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:35:01 pm »

1. You can shoot tethered with lightroom, just do a google search on how to do it.  I found step by step instructions when I first set it up.

2. Why don't you want to use Capture One? If you don't own it even an expired demo version still allows you to capture and preview ... it just won't let you render output files.

I find Capture One to be much better for tethered shooting

RicAgu

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:56:04 am »

Thanks guys.

I have C1, I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there.  I actually like it a lot and don't understand the backlash about it with regards to the release of LR.  

It has worked great and is the only software that has worked trouble free for the past three years.  I don't really like LR that much and it does give me issues with Phase files and clips my Canon files.

People sure are a fickle bunch.

Happy Phase customer here! Great product, spectacular support, stable software.  I would have liked to see more integration with the Hassy V and Mamiya RZ in the early days without the use of cables and the use of rotating backs and now an integration witht he Hy6.  But what are we going to do?  We can bitch and moan or go out and shoot and use the gear with the least problems.  

The hassy V wasn't perfect, the RZ wasn't perfect, the pentax 67 wasn't perfect, the contax 645 wasn't perfect, the rollie 6008 wasn't perfect.  I have owned and used them all and there was no perfect camera out there that gave us everything we wanted.

There was my rant for the month.

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:34:17 am »

Happy 1ds2/phase user here too, all that selecting folders business is a bit clunky , both dpp and ACR seem to clip highlight detail( I ahd a shot that included sunlight reflecting off water the other day - both ACR and DPP rendered it as white while C1pro rendered the colour of the water in the same highlights) and the colour editor profile thing is a marvel when you learn to use it - great for adjusting those 1ds2 skintones we hear about( but don't see that often). Don't like the sharpening and I seem to have issues with jpeg conversion but tiffs are fine. The colour is fabulous , tonal range smooth and shots look almost if not finished as they come off the camera.
I DO however miss the simplicity of the Kodak tethered software sometimes.

Thanks guys.

I have C1, I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there.  I actually like it a lot and don't understand the backlash about it with regards to the release of LR. 

It has worked great and is the only software that has worked trouble free for the past three years.  I don't really like LR that much and it does give me issues with Phase files and clips my Canon files.

People sure are a fickle bunch.

Happy Phase customer here! Great product, spectacular support, stable software.  I would have liked to see more integration with the Hassy V and Mamiya RZ in the early days without the use of cables and the use of rotating backs and now an integration witht he Hy6.  But what are we going to do?  We can bitch and moan or go out and shoot and use the gear with the least problems. 

The hassy V wasn't perfect, the RZ wasn't perfect, the pentax 67 wasn't perfect, the contax 645 wasn't perfect, the rollie 6008 wasn't perfect.  I have owned and used them all and there was no perfect camera out there that gave us everything we wanted.

There was my rant for the month.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:14:46 am »

Does anyone have any other solution to shooting tethered with Canon's other than C1Pro?  I believe you cannot shoot tethered with LR and I have never even installed the Canon utilities disc, so not sure about that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134580\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ric,

As with so many things, the answer to this is, "It all depends....".

I have used the Canon tethering software, and if you're not shooting fast, in volume, and you're not in a hurry, and you're willing to invest some time in learning the quirky Canon tethering software, it can be done.

Problem is: after only a few images, if you're shooting people, or shooting fast at all, the software will bottleneck on you very quickly, and you'll be looking at about ten or fifteen seconds, after you shoot the frame before you see the image on the monitor. But maybe for catalogue, (depending on the type of catalogue), it might work for you.

One nice thing: If you click the right series of buttons, and throw salt over your shoulder, there is a way with the Canon software for each new frame to come up, full screen, nice and clean, without a bunch of toolbars and the like. But I abandoned it years ago, (for CaptureOne), and I can't remember how to tell you.

I think there's a way too, to set up Hot Folders with Lightroom, and let CaptureOne and Lightroom work in tandem. But it seemed way too complicated, and I've never had the courage to do it on a real job. (There's enough craziness going on with the job itself).

Honestly, in short, the only real pro solution is CaptureOne.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:38:47 am »

There is Bibble too. I haven't tried it.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up