Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Download Video on TV  (Read 48955 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download Video on TV
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:22:55 am »

One of the most frequently asked questions L-L Customer Service receives  is:
How do I watch your download video on my TV?
I am interested in collecting the various methods and observations that customers have when they watch our download video on a television so that I can create a more extensive webpage of answers and methods.

My stock answer to the question is that the files will look best if played through a hardware conversion device such as an Apple TV, a Sony Playstation or an XBox.
[I export the download files through QuickTime Pro to Apple TV format (when necessary for AAC sound conversion) and then play the component signal on a HD set - the most recent stuff looks great.]

But not everyone has or wants such a device... although my betting is that such devices represent the main thrust of future web/video development.

So, what success have others had with conversion to DVD? My results are disappointing and I reluctantly tell customers that it is possible to put them on a DVD but the resulting video will look sub-standard. Essentially that process is like opening and saving a JPEG photograph: compression on top of compression looks like crap.

Has anyone had reasonable success with a scan converter? If so, which model?

Are there any other viable methods?

All suggestions welcomed.

Chris Sanderson
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:24:01 am by Chrissand »

jwhee0615

Download Video on TV
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:46:51 am »

Have you experimented with this?

http://www.sharewareguide.net/Audio-Multim...dvd-burner.html

Well never mind...i tried it and even though it says it does .mov files it says file format not supported.

Everyone should get some type of media streamer. It really is the way to go for watching various types of files on the TV.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:55:50 am by jwhee0615 »

francois

Download Video on TV
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:58:51 am »

Chris,
First I must say that I'm far from an expert in TV/Video/DVD stuff but I  tried to encode the standard LL-VJ 16 and LR tutorial and put them on DVD. I was never satisfied with the final quality. I now use my MacBook Pro and connect it directly to my TV set using an Apple DVI to Video adapter. Quality is OK and much better than my miserable attempts.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:55:25 pm by francois »
Francois

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:28:53 pm »

I watch the video on my computer.    It's interesting that you ask this question because just last week I bought my first HDTV.  On the back of the set is a input for a computer display.  Just for yucks I attached my old PC and was blown away at how nice the image looks.

I'm tempted to run my new monitor calibration SW on this puppy.   I have to assume that it's only a matter of time before monitors and TVs are the same device.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

david75

• http://ennegativo.blogspot.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:34:40 pm »

I export the files to dvd video with VisualHub (http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/).

I think a divx version of LLVJ and tutorials would be perfect. High quality and high compatibility with many devices, I'm a mac user but quicktime files are very problematic.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Download Video on TV
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 06:13:40 pm »

I use AoA DVD Creator to make a DVD for viewing on standard resolution TV.  It seems to work OK and the quality is OK, I suppose.  I use the AoA software very simply (have only done this twice) so perhaps I've missed some setting or other.  

I did have a problem in that the audio and video got out of sync towards the end of the show.  Very irritating.  Oddly enough, I rewound a little bit to review something and on replaying synchronization was restored.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Download Video on TV
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 03:04:02 am »

I use a mediaplayer (like MB200/Tivx4200 etc.) and as viewing device a high-end CRT projector with a Crystalio II 3800 videoscaler.

A pretty nice setup, the videos didn't cut it quality wise due to judder, but that has been solved
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:04:42 am by Frank Doorhof »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:01:34 am »

I use a mediaplayer (like MB200/Tivx4200 etc.)[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133974\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Frank, I read somewhere that PixelMagic's MB200 does not support H.264 encoded video - which ours now all is. Have you had any problems that might indicate this?

CS

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 04:33:19 pm »

AoA is the only app I have found to do the current files.  Everything else lags on the audio.

DVD Flick was my fav before the format changed.

Dave Pickens

• http://www.picksphoto.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 05:00:51 pm »

Hi Chris:
I am using NERO and it did a fine job. I can't attest to highest quality as my TV is not HD but it is large screen (48") and the quality is as good as what I see coming from most of the cable channels.
I did notice that by compressing more of segments onto one disk I lost some quality but at highest quality (2 segments to one DVD) setting it seemed fine for me.

tived

Download Video on TV
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:55:01 pm »

Hi Chris:
I am using NERO and it did a fine job. I can't attest to highest quality as my TV is not HD but it is large screen (48") and the quality is as good as what I see coming from most of the cable channels.
I did notice that by compressing more of segments onto one disk I lost some quality but at highest quality (2 segments to one DVD) setting it seemed fine for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for that Dave,

I was looking for this info.

Now, I can sit back and enjoy this

Henrik

mjflath

Download Video on TV
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 09:43:39 pm »

I don't mind watching some shorter segments on the computer, but my preferred platform is still the TV.  I'm running Windows and tried a number of different programs (more than I would have liked) - including AoA and Nero - which had audio and skipping problems.  Finally found TMPGEnc Dvd Author which provided a clean, good quality conversion and decent menu templates.

tived

Download Video on TV
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 04:14:53 am »

Thanks for that Dave,

I was looking for this info.

Now, I can sit back and enjoy this

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that didn't work that well for me, I have to try something else

thanks

Henrik

Frank Doorhof

Download Video on TV
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 07:13:14 am »

Sorry for the late reply.
H264 HD is not supported by the Mediabox indeed.
However it does play it sometimes.
For the LL I use the TIVX4100 at the moment, that plays all.

Before that I converted the LL videos back to MPEG2 a 5 minute job most of the time.

I don't care much for the container as long as the quality is good, would love to see HD
you can always convert to something that can be played.

HOWEVER that said.
With all the mediaplayers out there at the moment like the PS3, Xbox360, MB, Tivx I think it would be wise to choose something that is universal playable.
Like H264.

Bob Nicholson

• http://www.airpixuk.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 03:23:02 am »

Hi Chris

Sorry to come in on this so late.

I have tried Nero, AoA and various others but found sound synch problems, video stalling etc. etc.

I then saw a comment on one of these fora recommending
"TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX® Authoring"

I am trying this at the moment and it seems to work fine, decent quality picture and sound in synch, I'm quite impressed    

Not as good as the full DVD version of the VJ but quite acceptable.

I also tried it on C2P and find that the 24 fps makes a big difference.

Cheers

Bob

One of the most frequently asked questions L-L Customer Service receives  is:
I am interested in collecting the various methods and observations that customers have when they watch our download video on a television so that I can create a more extensive webpage of answers and methods.

My stock answer to the question is that the files will look best if played through a hardware conversion device such as an Apple TV, a Sony Playstation or an XBox.
[I export the download files through QuickTime Pro to Apple TV format (when necessary for AAC sound conversion) and then play the component signal on a HD set - the most recent stuff looks great.]

But not everyone has or wants such a device... although my betting is that such devices represent the main thrust of future web/video development.

So, what success have others had with conversion to DVD? My results are disappointing and I reluctantly tell customers that it is possible to put them on a DVD but the resulting video will look sub-standard. Essentially that process is like opening and saving a JPEG photograph: compression on top of compression looks like crap.

Has anyone had reasonable success with a scan converter? If so, which model?

Are there any other viable methods?

All suggestions welcomed.

Chris Sanderson
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dfilion

Download Video on TV
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 01:54:59 pm »

Hi Chris:
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried Nero 8 Ultra over the weekend to convert the Lightroom tutorial.  The video converted pretty well but there is no sound. I'm going to try again and see if there was an option mis configured or if it was just a bad burn.

Chris, I currently have the video feeding to my TV (Sony 20") from my computer via s-cable and running at 800x600.  The sound is through the computer systems speakers.  I hate this type of setup, but it's the only way I can watch the video segments on TV until I can get them to properly burn.

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 10:33:18 pm »

I use Nero 6 and usually burn one zip file's worth of videos onto a 4Gb disc. I don't compress, if it won't fit on one disk I'll put it on the next. The video quality is as good as viewing in QT Pro and I get to sit back in front of the Sony 32" HD CRT monitor instead of hunching over a 19" LCD.  

As I recall, a couple of the Develop videos in the LR tutorial burned with no sound no matter what I tried. A later download fixed the problem.

C2P #17 also won't play well with Nero, it refuses to load at all. All the others burned just fine. VJ 15 & 16 burned fine, all chapters. Cris, maybe you can fix the C2P 17 file?

I run a mid-level Intel C2D/Windoze system, XP Pro 32-bit. Nothing special, about a year behind bleeding-edge, plenty of RAM, a couple of Raptors for OS/programs and a couple of Seagates for data. Two calibrated 19" Viewsonics driven off an ATI X1950 Pro card. Pretty vanilla by today's standards. But it works for me and didn't break the bank to build.

Nero 6 seems to handle the files just fine with the exceptions I noted. I don't have any experience with AppleTV, the PS2 is stacked in a corner somewhere and I never bought an X-Box.  I play the DVD's on a regular Sony player using component output.

Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

rugydp

• http://rdp-photo.net
Download Video on TV
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 03:19:16 am »

How do I watch your download video on my TV?

I watch it on my livingroom mac-mini connected to a 32'' flat tv by vga using front row. The quality on full screen is good. Chrissand: I think you have chosen the right compression method.

Robert.D

• Inspiration_in_print.co.uk
Download Video on TV
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:16 pm »

The best way to covert is to rip to AVI then encode to MPEG

Please remember that that the video's are copyright of Luminous Landscape and this would require permission

Robert
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:51:45 pm by Robert.D »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 11:35:18 am »

Hmmm - the topic was Download video being outputted to a TV; perhaps you are referring to ripping the physical DVDs to a computer viewable file format? - for backup purposes only of course  

actually for Mac users, HandBrake encodes to H264 mp4 files are the way to go...IMO
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up