Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture sharpening in Camera2Print?  (Read 6130 times)

dkosiur

Capture sharpening in Camera2Print?
« on: August 12, 2007, 05:54:54 pm »

Michael & Jeff -

First of all, many thanks for creating the Camera to Print videos. They're great! They do a good job of providing useful information while staying on the informal side. (Others have commented on the banter between Michael and Jeff; that's great stuff.)

Here's my question: now that ACR 4.1 includes fairly comprehensive sharpening capabilities for RAW capture files, does it make much sense to continue using the PhotoKit Sharpener for capture sharpening? Are there some occasions when one method should be preferred over the other? If so, please elaborate...

Thanks,
Dave

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:46:56 pm »

Here's my question: now that ACR 4.1 includes fairly comprehensive sharpening capabilities for RAW capture files, does it make much sense to continue using the PhotoKit Sharpener for capture sharpening? Are there some occasions when one method should be preferred over the other? If so, please elaborate...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using Camera Raw 4.1 for Capture Sharpening...the _ONLY_ situation where that might not be the case is where you have _VERY_ noisy images that you want to run through NoiseWare prior to doing capture sharpening in which case I would turn CR 4.1's sharpening way down or off (to not sharpen noise), process the image in NoiseWare and then run Capture Sharpening in PKS.

But to be honest, even though you are asking about what's in the video, you really should be asking image processing questions in the Digital Imaging Processing forum.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:48:18 pm by Schewe »

dkosiur

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:35:24 am »

Thanks, Jeff.

And next time, I will post such questions in the proper forum...

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 06:38:35 am »

I'm using Camera Raw 4.1 for Capture Sharpening...the _ONLY_ situation where that might not be the case is where you have _VERY_ noisy images that you want to run through NoiseWare prior to doing capture sharpening in which case I would turn CR 4.1's sharpening way down or off (to not sharpen noise), process the image in NoiseWare and then run Capture Sharpening in PKS.

But to be honest, even though you are asking about what's in the video, you really should be asking image processing questions in the Digital Imaging Processing forum.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff,

I'm surprised at your post. Are you not using PK Sharpener in your workflow these days? You do make mention of it in C2P.

Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

picnic

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 08:03:59 am »

Jeff,

I'm surprised at your post. Are you not using PK Sharpener in your workflow these days? You do make mention of it in C2P.

Bud James
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133989\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bud, I think he is only using ACR 4.1 (and LR) for capture sharpening.  He talks about this several places---I believe on Photoshopnews, in the LR tute and in depth in #10 of Camera to Print.  He explains why and mentions that he is working with Adobe since Bruce passed away.  I have to go back and check, but I think he is still using PKS for output sharpening.  

I feel sure he will give you more info when he reads your post  *SMILE*.  As I type this, I have the #10 C2P running and listening to him now--and if you rewatch that you will probably know all you need to know about the why and how.

Diane

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:11:57 am »

Bud, I think he is only using ACR 4.1 (and LR) for capture sharpening.  He talks about this several places---I believe on Photoshopnews, in the LR tute and in depth in #10 of Camera to Print.  He explains why and mentions that he is working with Adobe since Bruce passed away.  I have to go back and check, but I think he is still using PKS for output sharpening. 

I feel sure he will give you more info when he reads your post  *SMILE*.  As I type this, I have the #10 C2P running and listening to him now--and if you rewatch that you will probably know all you need to know about the why and how.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are correct. I viewed C2P a few times. It's great!

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up