Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EOS 5D  (Read 10218 times)

rejcd

EOS 5D
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:52:38 pm »

Hi, i'm new to this...i have recently acquired an EOS 5D, and i have a too large number of out of focus pics on autofocus mode. Lens 24-104 L
Has anybody any advice?
I also shoot with an M8 and the 5D pics lack the punch and the sharpness of the Leica, any ideas why??
mathematically the Leica sensor 18x27mm has 10,3 megapixels
the Canon sensor 23.9x35.8mm has 12.8 megapixels, to have the same density of pixels as the Leica the amount should be 18.1 megapixels. Are we beeing shortchanged ??
with thanks

marcmccalmont

EOS 5D
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:19:50 pm »

Hi, i'm new to this...i have recently acquired an EOS 5D, and i have a too large number of out of focus pics on autofocus mode. Lens 24-104 L
Has anybody any advice?
I also shoot with an M8 and the 5D pics lack the punch and the sharpness of the Leica, any ideas why??
mathematically the Leica sensor 18x27mm has 10,3 megapixels
the Canon sensor 23.9x35.8mm has 12.8 megapixels, to have the same density of pixels as the Leica the amount should be 18.1 megapixels. Are we beeing shortchanged ??
with thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As a test, shoot in speed priority mode and keep your speed up to 1/250 and see what happens. Also make sure IS is selected on. The 5D is a bit soft without sharpening. I would highly recommend DxO as your RAW converter and set the sharpening to .5 . Once the file is a Tiff use smart sharpen and you will be amazed, a little unsharp mask at 18,45,0 will help with the local contrast. I think the 5D has a fairly strong AA filter that might account for the unprocessed softness I believe the leica does not ( I had the AA filter removed on my 5D now it takes less software sharpening). DxO fixes this and the vignetting in the 24-105 IS very well.

My 5d work flow
Dxo;
raw conversion sharpening .25 (AA filter removed)
PS;
Unsharp mask 18,45,0
Focus fixer .9,0
resize 6"x9" 600 dpi, bicubic smoother
Focus fixer .9,0

The 5D is so good as far as noise start using ISO to decrease your shutter speed. I shoot a lot (daytime) at ISO 250

I'm assuming there is not an autofocus problem with your lens.

Great camera and lens!!!!
Marc
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 10:32:43 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

rejcd

EOS 5D
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:08:05 am »

As a test, shoot in speed priority mode and keep your speed up to 1/250 and see what happens. Also make sure IS is selected on. The 5D is a bit soft without sharpening. I would highly recommend DxO as your RAW converter and set the sharpening to .5 . Once the file is a Tiff use smart sharpen and you will be amazed, a little unsharp mask at 18,45,0 will help with the local contrast. I think the 5D has a fairly strong AA filter that might account for the unprocessed softness I believe the leica does not ( I had the AA filter removed on my 5D now it takes less software sharpening). DxO fixes this and the vignetting in the 24-105 IS very well.

My 5d work flow
Dxo;
raw conversion sharpening .25 (AA filter removed)
PS;
Unsharp mask 18,45,0
Focus fixer .9,0
resize 6"x9" 600 dpi, bicubic smoother
Focus fixer .9,0

The 5D is so good as far as noise start using ISO to decrease your shutter speed. I shoot a lot (daytime) at ISO 250

I'm assuming there is not an autofocus problem with your lens.

Great camera and lens!!!!
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had a look at the 5D anatomy, there is a sandwhich of filters in front of the sensor, what's involved in removing the "2" AA filters, primary and secondary ?? a trip to Canon ?? does not look like a top of the kitchen table job ?? this is a weird assembly in any case, you can blow as much air as you want you will never clean the sensor, just the glass in front of it. What do you think Marc ??

marcmccalmont

EOS 5D
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:26:23 am »

I had a look at the 5D anatomy, there is a sandwhich of filters in front of the sensor, what's involved in removing the "2" AA filters, primary and secondary ?? a trip to Canon ?? does not look like a top of the kitchen table job ?? this is a weird assembly in any case, you can blow as much air as you want you will never clean the sensor, just the glass in front of it. What do you think Marc ??
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had MAXMAX replace the aa/low pass filter with a plain visible light filter, It was expensive but you get the three dimensional pop that MF backs give you. For some reason the AA filter makes the images flat. It is rare that I run into moiré issues.
Marc
[a href=\"http://maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm]http://maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm[/url]
Marc McCalmont

rejcd

EOS 5D
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:01:16 am »

I had MAXMAX replace the aa/low pass filter with a plain visible light filter, It was expensive but you get the three dimensional pop that MF backs give you. For some reason the AA filter makes the images flat. It is rare that I run into moiré issues.
Marc
http://maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks Marc, unfortunately i live in australia, so i will contact canon tomorrow and see their version of things. On the other hand i have downloaded a trial version of DXO and will see that too. i will have to act on this one way or the other, nevertheless your help and advice are much appreciated. many thanks.

marcmccalmont

EOS 5D
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 02:55:01 pm »

Any RAW converter is a pain to learn so here are some presets to get you started with DxO

DxO has presets and once you configure one for your typical use it will save a lot of time see Add Images and Settings

Under Enhance
DxO Optics  set distance
Sharpness  lens softness .5
Noise fine detail 90
Dxo color as shot
Dxo lighting medium

These with the defaults will get you close
Marc

A couple of 5D shots from Brisbane

[attachment=2988:attachment]
[attachment=2989:attachment]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:56:20 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
EOS 5D
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 04:37:08 pm »

Nice shots, Marc.

I, too, recommend the combination of 5D (and 24-105 IS L) with DxO. I haven't done anything as drastic as removing the AA filter, but I routinely expect to do some capture sharpening and contrast enhancement, even after running DxO. I generally do my sharpening in PS, because my previous raw converters haven't done a great job of it.

But I think I'll try doing some in DxO.

Rejcd: Try Marc's suggestions. If your AA filter is still in place, I'd try several different conversions, using a variety of degrees of sharpening to see what works best. Only if you can't get a good image that way, start worrying about your lens or camera.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

marcmccalmont

EOS 5D
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 04:57:07 pm »

I do very little sharpening in DxO, I use focus Fixer plugin in photoshop for most of the sharpening
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Eric Myrvaagnes

EOS 5D
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 08:05:42 pm »

I do very little sharpening in DxO, I use focus Fixer plugin in photoshop for most of the sharpening
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
. . . and I use Focus Magic for most of the sharpening. Probably similar.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rejcd

EOS 5D
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 05:39:50 am »

Nice shots, Marc.

I, too, recommend the combination of 5D (and 24-105 IS L) with DxO. I haven't done anything as drastic as removing the AA filter, but I routinely expect to do some capture sharpening and contrast enhancement, even after running DxO. I generally do my sharpening in PS, because my previous raw converters haven't done a great job of it.

But I think I'll try doing some in DxO.

Rejcd: Try Marc's suggestions. If your AA filter is still in place, I'd try several different conversions, using a variety of degrees of sharpening to see what works best. Only if you can't get a good image that way, start worrying about your lens or camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have contacted the local Melbourne Canon service dpt, they point blank refused to remove the filter; of course with DXO my pics get better, but that misses the point, i am more interested in taking pictures than in post processing; and the M8 gives me technically better pics (much better) out of the box. I have therefore ordered a second M8 and will use as a trade in all the Canon gear, i will probably drift to light weight Olympus for my DSLRs. Bye bye Canon. In the end the Mamiya ZD option to have a removable filter is the best of both worlds, unfortunately i do not need a MF. Thanks Eric and Marc for your time and opinions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up