Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappointed in Gitzo tripod  (Read 9641 times)

cp1

• http://www.distantlight.info
Disappointed in Gitzo tripod
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:33:15 am »

I recently received my first Gitzo tripod, a carbon fibre GT1530 which replaces my old Manfrotto 190Pro.  This was ordered from BH and, as I live in Australia, I didn't actually have the chance to examine the tripod before ordering.  However, given Gitzo's sterling reputation I figured this was pretty safe although now I actually have the tripod, I'm not quite so convinced.

Firstly the positives: the tripod is approximately 800 g lighter than the old Manfrotto while also being significantly taller.  This makes quite a big difference as one of the intended applications is overnight or multi-day hiking.  It does fold away to be slightly longer but not enough that I expect will ever matter.  While about three times the price of what I paid for the Manfrotto, given the improved specification (especially being carbon fibre) and Gitzo's reputation for quality, I consider it to be good value.

However, in terms of stability I'm not quite convinced that the Gitzo is as good as the Manfrotto.  My biggest complaint is that the upper disk where the tripod head attaches is both smaller in diameter and smoother than on the Manfrotto.  As a result, my Acratech head does not attach anywhere near as securely.  In fact, with the camera in a portrait orientation and the tripod on an angle, the head is disturbingly prone to unscrewing itself.  This seems at odds with Gitzo's claims regarding their "Safe Lock" material used on head mounts.  Also, the small diameter of the upper disk (obviously intended for use with Gitzo heads) means that the Acratech head sits with slightly less stability than on the Manfrotto and is more prone to slight side to side movements etc. Finally, the Gitzo legs seem to have noticeably more flex in them compare it with the aluminium legs on the Manfrotto.  Is this simply a case of aluminium versus carbon fibre or more to do with the lightweight nature of the tripod?

Anyway the purpose of this message is not really to have a whinge but rather to get some feedback and see if anyone else has had similar experiences or has suggestions on how stability might be improved.  In particular, I feel like there must be some way of improving the security of the mount between the head and tripod, either by increasing the amount of friction or somehow treating the bottom of the head to bond better with the "Safe Lock" material on the Gitzo.  Again, any thoughts are appreciated!

NYRich

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 08:52:21 am »

cp1

I've never had a problem with the tripod/head connection becoming unscrewed unintentionally.

However, one thing that I do with all of my tripods/heads is to put a small amount of BLUE Loc-Tite on the screw threads. It's cheap insurance against ever having things accidently come apart.

There are a few types of Loc-Tite. I capitalized BLUE for a reason. It's semi-permanent, meaning that the parts can be unscrewed with a bit of force. There is also a RED version which is permanent and NOT recommended for the purpose intended.

I can't imagine Loc-Tite (or something very similar) not being available in Austrailia from any well-stocked automobile supply shop.

The Really Right Stuff website used to mention Loc-Tite and still may. In fact, I believe that they used to sell small tubes of it.
Rich

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:59:28 pm »

Hi - I´ve got a Gitzo 410 which is not carbon fibre; however, apart from getting unbelievably heavy (I´ve had a heart event) as the years roll past, it is very rigid indeed.

I would not imagine it is much good for country walks, but for the purpose of holding a camera steady, I know of nothing better.

And that´s the problem. It comes down to compromise: you want a portable rock, or, you are willing to settle for something less stable but lighter,  because you have to manhandle the damn thing into inconvenient places.

I don´t believe it is possible to achieve both ends in one product. Yes, of course, makers tell you something else, but they are in the busines of moving units and you always have to apply your own mind to the problem and put trust firmly on hold. It is my opinion that rigidity and lightness create problems of their own; they do not equate with rigidity and greater mass.

Not a lot of help, I know, but I think that what I have written is correct. I do not think that you will have much joy if you complain to Gitzo and then have to say you are using a head other than their own - I´d guess that compatible tollerances are designed into one maker´s range. I have their G1371 head and it´s pretty good...

Ciao - Rob C

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:45:19 pm »

I have used the carbon fiber 1349  (center post removed) for many years.
It does a great job up to 4x5.  light enough to still carry but heavy enough to do a good job.  There are certainly smaller tripods as I tried the Carbon One but it just could not hold the weight steady enough.

You are right everything is a compromise but if using a tripod is important then ??

tived

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 03:02:49 am »

Hi,

Also in Australia (on the the far westcoast)

I have two Gitzo legs, 1548 CF, they are very heavy duty and the only thing I don;t like or just haven't gotten used to is the twist when extending the legs. Though I at least don;t snap my fingers as I do on my old 055 Manfrotto legs.

I also have a newer, to me, 2200 legs which I think are alu or some metal. they have a newer twist when extending or reducing the legs which is much more comfortable to use.

I have never experienced any problems with my heads turning loose. Using a mix of Arca Swiss B1, Graf StudioBall and a Manfrotto 410 head. but I also use an RRS L-bracket on my camera.

Overall, I am very pleased with my legs, I  would like the replacement for the 1325 or 134x which I think will fit well inbetween the legs I got.

I would highly recommend Gitzo

Henrik

Sheldon N

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 11:34:06 am »

Unfortunately, I think you bought the wrong model of Gitzo. The GT1530 is equivalent to the prior 1100 series carbon fiber Gitzos, and is smaller/lighter than the 1227/1228/GT2530 or 1325/1348/GT3530.

I would consider the GT1530 as the bare minimum for small 35mm gear, and only for travel purposes. Add anything heavier or with long lenses and it becomes less than ideal.

I'd look to replace it with a GT2530 for 35mm gear and lenses up to 200mm. If you shoot anything longer or larger I'd look to the GT35xx series of tripods.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

julian_love

• www.julianlove.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 01:47:14 pm »

I use an older model of what is now the Gitzo 1540 (i.e. the 4 section version of your tripod, the legs alone weigh under 1kg). I use it with Markins Q3 head, a Kirk L bracket on a Canon 1DsM2 and lenses up to a 70-200 f/4.

I am a travel photographer and am usually on my feet all day, carrying the tripod as well as the camera gear, so small and light are important to me. With the centre column down I find the 1540 to be perfectly stable enough for my gear, although I rarely photograph in high winds etc.
I don't have the problem of the head becoming unscrewed.

I would say it is perfectly good for 35mm shooting as long as you are not using big telephotos - for lenses up to 200mm I would say it is fine. I would be surprised if the 3-section version is different.

Are your shots blurred?

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 07:49:37 pm »

my eyes glaze over when I start looking at the Gitzo catalog; too many selections and difficult to choose the 'right' one.

has anyone heard of a monopod that changes length as the camera moves up/down (as if pressurised within), serving to take the camera's weight off the photographer? when photographing birds, I would never have enough time to lock/unlock sections of a monopod.
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

daveman

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 01:27:48 am »

Tripods are like camera bags. After buying one, you work with it for a while and then buy another. Eventually you have a collection of tools for different jobs. Ideally, if you buy quality, you don't replace one because it broke or wore out, you do it because it wasn't ideal for some task. What I am hearing from you is that it's not a great fit for your equipment.  But if you had received the model that you think you wanted, you may later find that you need something lighter. Then it starts again, as tripods represent a compromise on many levels. I think my Gitzo tripods are great, but the heavy one stays near the car, and the lighter one is inferior but way lighter.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up