Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: P45 and Centerfold  (Read 13715 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:04 am »

..Adobe does not use the black calibration files that your Phase One back has built into it..that's why its so much faster to process. That's also part of the reason why it might not give you everything your digital back is capable of or sometimes even give you corrupted files.

Joe

Since,as you state,Adobe does not use (cannot access?)  the black calibration files that
Phase One backs have built in does this not suggest that there are,possibly, issues such as
dead pixels and centerfold present just as there are in other products and that Phase is doing
an excellent job at correcting them?

Mark

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:49 am »

Ron is correct. If you dump the cache it will force the camera to recalibrate the next time it is
connected to that computer.  Your first shot after your dump the cache may have a odd color cast, but it isn't a big deal after you white balance.

It's always a good idea to have a good working relationship with your dealer.  They can usually help you with issues that may pop up.  If there are any Phase One users that run into issues at off hours or during the weekend, please give us a call or e-mail.

Tim Palmer - tim@captureintegration.com    (770)597-1098

Chris Lawery - chris@captureintegration.com  (404)234-5195

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

Joe Behar

P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38:12 am »

The line in question is more than likely a corrupted camera calibration. Either on the hard drive or in the digital back itself. As my colleague Ron Steinberg noted, the first thing to try is clearing the camera calibration cache. Failing that contact your dealer. If your P45 is covered with an uptime warranty you will get a loaner back to use for the duration of the repair or recalibration. If you did not buy your P45 from a dealer but are still covered under warranty, get to know your nearest dealer and I'm sure they'll give you a hand in getting this resolved.

Joe Behar

P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 11:46:16 am »

Joe

Since,as you state,Adobe does not use (cannot access?)  the black calibration files that
Phase One backs have built in does this not suggest that there are,possibly, issues such as
dead pixels and centerfold present just as there are in other products and that Phase is doing
an excellent job at correcting them?

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,

Dead pixels are a fact of life in every sensor ever made. The calibration files are designed to take the dead pixels into account and give you a good image. Anyone that thinks the sensor in their back has no dead pixels whatsoever is sadly mistaken. As far as the centrtefold thing....you can't have a centrefold issue if you have no centrefold...period. If you're seeing anything that resembles it I can assure you its not the same thing. Sorry.

Mark_Tucker

P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 12:20:14 pm »

I feel like there are about three different discussions going on at once here, with each person attacking the problem based on what he thinks is the issue.

All I can add, from one user's perspective, is that I saw a centerfold effect, whether or not it's the classic centerfold that plagued Leaf or not, in my P21 (non-plus), using Lightroom 1.0, at ASA 400 setting. It scared me enough to not use Lightroom again, since the problem did not occur using CaptureOne on the exact same file.

I feel like the original question was not stated clearly enough to solve it -- whether his issue showed up in CaptureOne or in Lightroom.

Again, my advice during this shakeout period, where it's unclear how much solid information that Adobe has from Phase about the makeup of the RAW file, is to use CaptureOne for now. If Lightroom works for you, you are a lucky man; you are living right. But my own personal view is that Phase is not talking to Adobe at all, due to competing software, and whatever Adobe gets out of the Phase file is pure accident, and is due to Adobe's skills. Personally, I will rely on CaptureOne for now, feeling as though I'm getting 100% of the file's information.

This is one photographer's subjective opinion only.

brumbaer

P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

The problem Mark describes sounds like the classical Centrefold.

This does not have to be created by the sensor, but could be created in a different processing stage most likely if the sensor has more than one readout (the Kodaks have two, but I do not know whether phase uses them). But it could be the sensor as well.

That the problem shows in LR but not in C1, hints strongly to the fact that Phase is aware of the problem and has a software solution for it.

This is nothing unusual, in many products are "problems" that are corrected invisibly to the user, leaving him with the beleif to have a flawless product.
One of the better known is defect blocks in hard-disk. Or music CDs, which use error correction to ensure that the music sound like coming from a flawless CD even if it isn't.

The line in Rick's images doesn't look like a Centrefold (read two halfs of different brightness).

On the first look it does look more like a row of blemishes.

On the second look it does not look like blemishes:
I only tested the second image. On this I can make the line vanish by using curves. Blemishes are usually not to be corrected by using curves on all three channels. So it could be the result of correcting a centrefold that went wrong.

Or something completely differnt

But it's hard to tell on a tiff, the raw files would be much more revealing.

No matter what it is, it looks like it has to be solved by the manufacturer/dealer.

Regards
SH

RicAgu

P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 01:12:18 pm »

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

To clarify.

On my P25 files when LR first came out I tried it.  It gave me a red line half down the file whether it was Hori or Verti.  so I stopped.  I had no issue with C1 and it sill works very well.  LR is still cropping my Canon file and I don't have the time or inclination to deal with it.  If my labbed screwed up my film, I would fire them and never use them again.  RD has ben great with my Canon files and when I got the same line that LR was giving me I emailed their support and they asked me to upload a file.  Sadly, I have not had time to do this.  But will do in the next week.

On the P45 file shoot.  I only shoot to card as 90% of my work is on location and I don't have the resources on certain shoots to drag around a tower and I am not a fan of shooting tethered to a laptop.  I shoot to card, put on laptop, then transfer to two pocket drives.  Once transferred to pocket drives I open the desktop files to view them quickly on a larger screen in between set ups.

That is the last time they are viewed on the lap top.  Get back to the hotel and transfer each raw card to a DVD as I only shoot 4Gig cards.   Once that is done then the cards are formatted if we have a shoot the next day.  If it is only a one day shoot then the cards stay with files till they are back in the studio.

So I now get back to the studio that has a G5 that has never been used to tether, strictly a process, retouch and printing machine.  So I guess my next call will be to Chris and get some quick support there.  Hopefully dumping the profile and resetting it as someone described here will work.

On the centerfold issue.  Sorry for the miscommunication.  I had never seen the centerfold on a Phase and this looked just like the ones I had seen on Leaf.  A line straight down the middle of the file.  So instead of centerfold.  I'll call Phase's problem Centerline issue.

I'll let you all know I come up with from Phase and who ever I can get to help.

Thank you again all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:15:04 pm by RicAgu »

Joe Behar

P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 01:12:19 pm »

That the problem shows in LR but not in C1, hints strongly to the fact that Phase is aware of the problem and has a software solution for it.

ummmm...can you not also conclude form this that Adobe is not processing the file correctly? It would not be the first time a software manufacturer has made a mistake.

Ladies & Gentlemen.....if you're going to speculate, conjecture and then make statements, don't you think you should at least concede both possible scenarios?

I'm sorry I got involved in this discussion...I'm going back to lurking, taking care of my clients and I'm leaving the conspiracy theories to all of you.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...not quite sure who said it but I think it applies very well here.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 01:41:40 pm »

well...i have a p30 and it definitely shows what brumbaer calls centerfold....in LR only...does not happen at 100asa, but the higher up i go the worse it gets...at 800 the image is clearly 2 seperate halves....straight down the middle....this happens in LR only (and CS3/Cr4.1 of course) C1 does not show this at all....i have contacted my dealer, phase, adobe and the pope....phase says everything is fine because C1 shows no problems, adobe is "working on it" but to them it is a single case and yes i have sent them files and yes they see the same thing, but i don't hitnk phase support is on the top of their list.....
i have posted about this here, on the LR and CR adobe forums and on the phase forum.....

i am just a stupid consumer of course (with no real technical knowledge) and this is more an annoyance then a real problem....BUT: to me it seems that no matter how OPEN phase is with their files, they always seem to hold something back....one adobe tech i spoke with (who seemed to have some clue) mentioned that they don't have the back-calibration files (or can't access them?) or something like that.....
it is very obvious that adobe has ZERO interest in NOT providing support for phase files, whereas phase has quite a bit of interest in not having adobe support their files....LR handles the P30 files beautifully (at 100) and the combination of the similar conversion quality and the additional features make it an easy winner in my book....LR has cut the time i spend AFTER the shoot down by 50-75%...for me it works.....and i am positive that future improvements will make the margin between C1 and LR even bigger....i just can't see phase catching up with LR....sorry...

i wish phase would just give in and really open their files up....no holding back....and concentrate on making a C1 module for LR supporting tethered shooting (maybe even conversions for those who want to continue working with profiles?) i would gladly pay for such a module....i am looking forward to C1v4, but i doubt it will make me switch back.....

there is no doubt in my mind that the problems i and obviously others are experiencing are phase's fault, their attempt to keep us "tethered" to C1....it won't work....instead of sending me an email every 3 weeks trying to sell me (what used to be) iview, they should open their eyes and face the reality that LR will be the application, just like photoshop is...i am not one for "brand loyality" or whatever (otherwise i would use aperture, if they supported phase, but that is a different story...)...i just want what works....

great..... i managed to turn this into a rant.... as usual....i just think that this is really stupid and unnecessary....wastes everybody's time....so here i am waiting for LR 1.2...adobe will work this out without phase anyway....

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 01:46:05 pm »

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...not quite sure who said it but I think it applies very well here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sigmund freud

Mort54

• http://
P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 04:02:53 pm »

well...i have a p30 and it definitely shows what brumbaer calls centerfold....in LR only...does not happen at 100asa, but the higher up i go the worse it gets...
I stated earlier in this thread that I wasn't seeing any such issue with my P45 files processed thru LR. After reading some of the more recent posts, such as Paul's, I should qualify my statement by noting that I have not used my P45 over ISO 100 so far, so it's entirely possible that I would see something at higher ISOs. But ignorance is bliss, and so far at least, I am blissfully ignorant of the "centerline" issue and very happy with LR.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 04:03:50 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Jae_Moon

• http://
P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 04:34:09 pm »

I stated earlier in this thread that I wasn't seeing any such issue with my P45 files processed thru LR. After reading some of the more recent posts, such as Paul's, I should qualify my statement by noting that I have not used my P45 over ISO 100 so far, so it's entirely possible that I would see something at higher ISOs. But ignorance is bliss, and so far at least, I am blissfully ignorant of the "centerline" issue and very happy with LR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Restating my experience, I had few occasion to have centerfold issues with P45/H2/55-110mm @ISO 50 with CF card, only when processed with LR. As I posted earlier, I accept the position of Phase One that their products are sold as a 'total solution', DB and C1 Pro since I cannot reproduce what I saw in C1.

A poor analogy is that I cannot blame the defective performance of my car using regular gas when the manual specify to use Premium only. Again, a poor analogy but you get my drift.

Jae Moon

ps

I posted my finding soon after LR1.0 was released in this forum.

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
P45 and Centerfold
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 08:27:07 pm »

A quick update on the 'line' issue with my loaner P30 -- it has to go back to Denmark for re-calibration, or 'mapping' or something like that. Anyone seeing these types of artifacts in their images should be reassured that it is is a clear defect, and should contact their dealer.

I'm pressing Phase to send me my P30+ as soon as possible so I don't have any down time. Other than the line, the P30 has been a joy to use, and is a much larger jump in quality from the 1DsII than I had expected.

cheers,

Gregory Allen
www.plasticimage.com

Hello all,

I just did my second shoot with my P30 loaner (waiting for my Plus to arrive), and I see a similar line artifact in every shot from the shoot. The line goes all the way across the image, about 1/8 of the way down from the top of each vertical image. I shot some at ISO 100, then bumped it up to 400 as the light went down...all have the same line. It is a bit more pronounced in the ones shot at 400.

I'm going to do some tests tomorrow. In my first shoot with the P30, and the tests I did before it, the files were perfect. I'm hoping it just had a bad day.

Please see attached screen grabs.

cheers,

Gregory Allen

P.S. These were processed in C1.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130546\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up