Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DIII Firmware upgrade silent fix for focus issue?  (Read 4774 times)

med007

• http://www.openphotographyforums.com
1DIII Firmware upgrade silent fix for focus issue?
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:14:31 pm »

There's apparently a new firmware update for 1DIII cameras that addresses a bunch of things including focus issues! Quiet fix it seems without making an real announcement!

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forum...read.php?t=3611

Asher Kelman
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:14:59 pm by med007 »
[span style='color:blue'][url=http://www

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:33:17 pm »

Perhaps you should read what Rob Galbraith has to say about this Firmware update.
Jan

yrsued

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:51:18 pm »

And what he said today!!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...cid=7-8740-9006

There's nothing silent about this issue!!

There was even an official  Canon USA Press Release about this firmware.

Y

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:04:23 am »

And what he said today!!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...cid=7-8740-9006

There's nothing silent about this issue!!

There was even an official  Canon USA Press Release about this firmware.

Y
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The silence is about the fix, not the issue.  The fear is that Canon won't go public with any kind of hardware fix, but would "silently" apply to any units returned for that specific AF problem - particularly since 1.0.9 doesn't appear to fix "THE" AF problem.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:04:55 am by Tim Gray »

yrsued

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:37:30 am »

The silence is about the fix, not the issue.  The fear is that Canon won't go public with any kind of hardware fix, but would "silently" apply to any units returned for that specific AF problem - particularly since 1.0.9 doesn't appear to fix "THE" AF problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129690\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes and no!!

Canon is trying though!!

They have requested to have RG Cameras back to Japan to trace the root of the problem, if they were to "Silently" as you say fix the problem, they would never publicly do this!!

If they can fix this via Firmware, they will, if they need to have a recall, they will too, it's in their best interest!!  Nikon did a gigantic and costly recall on the D1X, and it was for Firmware!!  I have a feeling that if canon japan finds a hardware problem with a series of bodies, they will recall them, this is the first solution in Crisis management, to do what is "expected" of them and "then some"

According to RG's test, the newest Firmware doesn't do the job, it's back to square 1 for Canon japan, but now with RG's cameras on hand to be tested and fixed!!

I have a gut feeling that Firmware alone might not fix RG's problem, but if that is the case, a complete Recall will take place.  Just like Nikon did in 2001 every owner of a 1DMKIII will get a prepaid label and a fix will take place.

Y

Y

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:04:12 pm »

I have a gut feeling that Firmware alone might not fix RG's problem, but if that is the case, a complete Recall will take place.  Just like Nikon did in 2001 every owner of a 1DMKIII will get a prepaid label and a fix will take place.

I'll bet you a beer, that even if it's not a firmware fix, there won't be a complete recall.  (But you'll have to come to Toronto to collect if I'm wrong).   Canon will say "If you're having a problem - then send it in."

FWIW, just picked up my 1d3 in Toronto half an hour ago - Firmware 1.0.9
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:05:15 pm by Tim Gray »

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 12:07:01 pm »

They have requested to have RG Cameras back to Japan to trace the root of the problem, if they were to "Silently" as you say fix the problem, they would never publicly do this!!
Given the publicity on RG's site and DPReview's fairly noisy forums, there is nothing silent about the situation at all.

There is no way Canon could request the cameras back and that RG would keep it secret.

But the dialogue he has with Westfall seems productive, at least.
Jan

X-Re

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:20 pm »

Given the publicity on RG's site and DPReview's fairly noisy forums, there is nothing silent about the situation at all.

In as much as there appears to be public silence from Canon's end of things, I'd say it still counts as being "silent". However, this wouldn't be unusual for any company facing an unknown issue, so I really wouldn't hold it against them.

There is no way Canon could request the cameras back and that RG would keep it secret.

But the dialogue he has with Westfall seems productive, at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Totally agree on this...

I'll wait to see what shakes out a bit on this, and decide if I need to do my own testing to justify sending it in for hardware fixes (if that's what it turns out to be). We just might see a 1.0.10 or whatever, as well... I have enough other things to do, at this point, and the camera is turning out great files for me w/ firmware 1.0.8 (including shots similar to Rob's tests - though I've not done extensive testing in that regard).
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

med007

• http://www.openphotographyforums.com
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:54:12 pm »

In as much as there appears to be public silence from Canon's end of things, I'd say it still counts as being "silent". However, this wouldn't be unusual for any company facing an unknown issue, so I really wouldn't hold it against them.
     Totally agree on this...

I'll wait to see what shakes out a bit on this, and decide if I need to do my own testing to justify sending it in for hardware fixes (if that's what it turns out to be). We just might see a 1.0.10 or whatever, as well... I have enough other things to do, at this point, and the camera is turning out great files for me w/ firmware 1.0.8 (including shots similar to Rob's tests - though I've not done extensive testing in that regard).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have 3 uses for the 1DIII

1. Safari and then one needs fast focus and the fast and repeated shot capability for animal action, like a kill or a lioness protecting her cubs.

2. A model when one is trying to freeze fluid movement

3. Low and available light portrait and street photography

I would rather wait several months to see what comes out of the current scrutiny. Why replace a perfectly good 1DII with something in question. All my needs are relative.

I still have nagging questions on what Canon knows and how they are responding!

Asher Kelman
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:55:01 pm by med007 »
[span style='color:blue'][url=http://www

yrsued

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 05:16:03 pm »

I'll bet you a beer, that even if it's not a firmware fix, there won't be a complete recall.  (But you'll have to come to Toronto to collect if I'm wrong).   Canon will say "If you're having a problem - then send it in."

FWIW, just picked up my 1d3 in Toronto half an hour ago - Firmware 1.0.9
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129724\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Deal!!  If you win, you will have to come to AZ to collect your Corona!!

canon has been sending folsk free shipping for stupid little things, so a complete recall is not out of the question.  They get special rates from UPS and Fedex!!  back in the mid 90s' I used to work for a major Semiconductor manufacturer, htey offered their corporate Fedex Rates to their Employees.  The employee had to pay cash for the shipment, but with the Corporate rate, I could send a next day Air fedex letter for under $4!!!  Not an impossibility and a major PR win for Canon.

Y

Raoul

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 03:42:06 pm »

I felt like a beta-tester after having paid about 1000 Euros for a Nikon D70 which did not focus correctly. According to the salesman it was an issue with my lenses or my technique  or whatever. A costly adjustment by Nikon solved the problem nevertheless.

Now this is 1000 Euros (not bad for an amateur). If I pay 3000-4000 Euros I am likely to either earn money with the camera or earn enough money doing something else well. In either case you do *not* want to beta-tester for a camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up