Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson printers in fall...  (Read 55479 times)

cariarer

New Epson printers in fall...
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:21:02 am »

Has anyone any further information about the new Epson printers comming out this fall? Namingly they are supposed to be the Stylus Pro 4880, 7880 and 9880.

I just got this info of a news letter, which I get from my local dealer. I'm currently trying to get some more info on it. Maybe someone else knows something? Seems to be pretty new info, as I couldn't find anything about it on Google yet  

Regards, Marco...

mbridgers

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:15:57 am »

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 08:37:41 am »

Photographyblog has the press release:
http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/w...format_printers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No hint in the UK press release about supporting 'on-line' matte/gloss K ink switching or not.

Also, new 'vivid magenta' inkset seems not to be compatible with recent 3800 (otherwise they probably would have stated so, I think).

Additionally, no word about the rumored 64" printer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:48:59 am by NikosR »
Nikos

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:19:40 am »

and.... despite the internet rumors, no mention of a built-in spectro
Regards,
Ron

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 12:44:10 pm »

A friend pointed out this link at the bottom of the photographyblog announcement:

http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/w...format_printer/

1) The key features summary at the bottom for the 11880 mentions

Automatic change from photo black to matte black

but this line does not show in the key features summary for the other models.

If I'm reading this correctly, the 11880 has separate ink line support for both PK and MK, while the three smaller models do not. If so, I assume they've engineered the 11880 from scratch, while the three smaller models are based on the existing engineering.

2) The key features summary at the bottom for the 11880 also lists:

Easy to use and maintain with Auto Ink Droplet Detection System

which I don't see listed for the other models. No idea what this refers to.

NikosR

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:46:21 pm »

BTW, There is another UK press release on photographyblog announcing the 64" 11880.

http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/w...format_printer/

EDIT: Sorry just saw someone was faster...
BTW, the new 360dpi heads are announced with the 11880 also.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:56:58 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

jmboss

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:58:12 pm »

If I'm reading this correctly, the 11880 has separate ink line support for both PK and MK, while the three smaller models do not. If so, I assume they've engineered the 11880 from scratch, while the three smaller models are based on the existing engineering.

I agree with Dale.

After carefully reading the "blog" articles on the new Epson printers, the 11880 gives us a real printer model in the professional line that holds and employs all 9 ink cartridges of the UltraChrome K3 ink system.

This hopefully now points to the day of future 17, 24, 44 inch printer redesigns that will finally provide auto switching between the matte and gloss black inks.

Sadly, however, based on the information in the articles, it looks like we will have endure at least one more round of the ink wasting older 8 cartridge design in the smaller printer size models before that wonderful day arrives.

Darn it!

Joe Bossuyt
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:01:16 pm by jmboss »

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 02:14:31 am »

The press release states

Consistent output with Epson Micro Piezo printhead technology

so it looks like all the models have the newer printhead.

This looks like quite a good upgrade, with the Ethernet and ink set improvement.

I've begun to be a bit dissatisfied with print resolution so if this new printhead improves it, that would be good.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

NikosR

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:11:40 am »

The press release states

Consistent output with Epson Micro Piezo printhead technology

so it looks like all the models have the newer printhead.

This looks like quite a good upgrade, with the Ethernet and ink set improvement.

I've begun to be a bit dissatisfied with print resolution so if this new printhead improves it, that would be good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. Micro Piezo TFP is the new one (360 nozzle per line) as used on the 11880.
Nikos

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 03:25:55 am »

Ah well... I'll wait for the next upgrade then...
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

NikosR

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 03:57:55 am »

Ah well... I'll wait for the next upgrade then...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think what is reasonable to expect from the new x880 with regards to improvements are:

1. Improved gamut (reds and blues) due to new magenta inks.
2. Improvements already included in the 3800:
    a.Improved dithering and grain, with High Speed printing quality improvements.
    b. Less clogging, at least judging from 3800 user reports.
4. Not much else....?

I really can't see the new series selling too well  if you take the competition into consideration, basically because it seems the ink swapping issue has not been resolved.

Also, I think that it is reasonable to predict that the life of this series won't be too long. Another reason for someone not to upgrade or buy into the Epson line.

And it's a pity really as I am expecting that the printing quality will be state-of-the-art and usability problems and issues (other than ink switching) will be minimum (compared to what is being reported for their competitors).

The 64" 11880 seems to be another beast altogether. We'll have to see how it will compare to its 60" competition.

IMHO, the 3800 will remain a good buy for its target market.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:24:02 am by NikosR »
Nikos

Charles Gast

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 06:58:27 am »

The use of a Halftone rip is the only thing I see of real interest.  Hopefully that is what colorbyte is doing with the IP7 release for the z series hp printers.
Other than that:
Sounds like the same heads are in use. The "new" piezo heads?  They've been piezo heads on every Epson printer I have owned in the past.  The 3800 version of heads clog a bit less but there are still plenty of users dogged by clogs. Still using somewhere in the 50% range of their ink to maintain the nozzles especially when you consider about 10% of the ink is never used since the cart stops the prints when it is still 10% full.
Certainly not what I had expected as a response to hp's challenge to epsons past dominance.

NikosR

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 07:09:34 am »

The use of a Halftone rip is the only thing I see of real interest.  Hopefully that is what colorbyte is doing with the IP7 release for the z series hp printers.
Other than that:
Sounds like the same heads are in use. The "new" piezo heads?  They've been piezo heads on every Epson printer I have owned in the past.  The 3800 version of heads clog a bit less but there are still plenty of users dogged by clogs. Still using somewhere in the 50% range of their ink to maintain the nozzles especially when you consider about 10% of the ink is never used since the cart stops the prints when it is still 10% full.
Certainly not what I had expected as a response to hp's challenge to epsons past dominance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been a 3800 user since November without any clogs.  I also wonder where you're getting your numbers from. My usage statistics don't look anything like what you're saying. Plus, I believe (although I might be mistaken) that what's left in the cartridge is not counted towards the nominal capacity of the cartridges, and this has been the case with Epson for some time now.

Let's not embark on this discussion here otherwise things like failing thermal heads, fw bugs, IQ inconsistencies, support issues etc. should be brought up.

Finally, it's certain that the 11880 carries the all new TFP heads.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:26:21 am by NikosR »
Nikos

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 09:01:50 am »

As a current 4800 user, the two key things I have been looking for in the newer models are no black switching and some type of direct engagement by Epson in addressing clogging issues.   A new printer would really need BOTH of these things for me to even consider an upgrade.
Mark
http:

tgphoto

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 10:38:34 am »

Not sure how this can really be considered an "upgrade", unless you're talking about the 11880.

Adding just 2 new magenta inks (why didn't Epson update the entire line?) and slapping a new model number on the unit doesn't seem, to me, like a good enough reason to plunk down the bucks.

Also, whatever happened to the rumored K3 "backwards compatibility" with the current x800 lineup of printers?  Any word on whether these new magenta inks will work in a 48/78/9800?

Charles Gast

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 05:42:56 pm »

I have been a 3800 user since November without any clogs.  I also wonder where you're getting your numbers from. My usage statistics don't look anything like what you're saying. Plus, I believe (although I might be mistaken) that what's left in the cartridge is not counted towards the nominal capacity of the cartridges, and this has been the case with Epson for some time now.

Let's not embark on this discussion here otherwise things like failing thermal heads, fw bugs, IQ inconsistencies, support issues etc. should be brought up.

Finally, it's certain that the 11880 carries the all new TFP heads.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The "numbers" are from  posts. My own experience included. Problem with the epsons is some users have no clogs. Many users have lots and lots. I went through way too much ink with the 4800 without printing. The 3800's seem to have better results but then there are the occaisonal posters with 3800's clogging all the time. Piezo just has to move ink to keep clear. The thermals do the same but using a very very small amount of ink. I remember doing power cleans with the 4800 and the ink levels were considerably lower on the display afterward. Opening the "empty" epson carts was depressing. Seeing so much ink unusable. I suppose this is why Epson lost a lawsuit over the ink wastage. I recieved a letter from them stating that I could get a discount on ink since they lost the suit. But I guess its just my imagination that they throw away ink at excessive rates.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 08:33:38 pm »

FWIW, I've been in touch with many 3800 users (due in part to the notes page on the 3800 that I maintain) and only one of them has experienced a clog -- a minor one. The only times I have heard of extensive 3800 clogs as discussed on the message boards (and I look through quite a few) were cases where the user ended up discussing the case with Epson Pro support, which diagnosed the printers as faulty and had them replaced.

On the other hand, I think it's fair to remind everyone that the 3800 is a relatively new printer (less than a year old) and sometimes clogging behavior becomes more nasty as the print head ages. So time will tell.
Eric Chan

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 02:22:31 pm »

I've had a 3800 on test for several weeks - after being loaned one by Epson UK for a review. The only times I've had any ink problems has been a couple of times where I switched from Pk to Mk and had not used the Mk for a week or so - each time the MK line needed an additional clean cycle to get it performing correctly.

Not a big issue, but if I was using one regularly I think I'd always do that extra nozzle check if I'd not swapped blacks for a couple of weeks.

Keith Cooper
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

alfin

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 03:21:17 pm »

The only times I've had any ink problems has been a couple of times where I switched from Pk to Mk and had not used the Mk for a week or so - each time the MK line needed an additional clean cycle to get it performing correctly.
It’s the same line for MK and PK inks; you just flush the right ink through the line when you swap inks. I have waited over a month before swapping inks without any problems.
Lars Mollerstrom

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 04:08:13 pm »

Since the "cat" is out of the bag, and several journalists have already seen these printers, it seems Epson or someone should be willing to respond to the Mk/Pk question.

I for one am surprised this is that big of an issue to so many ... it would seem that  most photographers have their preference and rarely if ever switch.  I for one can't remember the last time I used matte black ... I just prefer the saturation and detail I can get with photo glossy papers.

Anyone?

Personally I'm more curious as to how good the magenta inks are, but after reading What's New it seems Michael may have moved on to other manufacturers and doesn't really want to take the time to give this printer a once over.  Guess I can't blame him ... too much to review, but some careful review of the new inkset would help some of us in a decision to upgrade or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up