Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Tetons a & Yellowstone in September  (Read 11472 times)

TerryM

• http://
Grand Tetons a & Yellowstone in September
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:16:46 am »

I am planning to shoot Grand Tetons and in the Yellowstone, as well as in the Black Hills of South Dakota in September, probably from Sept 4 through the 15th or 16th.

I am thinking that time of year it will be safe not to make hotel reservations so I can be free to go and come as I please. Also, wondering about the weather that time of year.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

RonBoyd

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 02:31:05 pm »

I am planning to shoot Grand Tetons and in the Yellowstone, as well as in the Black Hills of South Dakota in September, probably from Sept 4 through the 15th or 16th.

I am thinking that time of year it will be safe not to make hotel reservations so I can be free to go and come as I please. Also, wondering about the weather that time of year.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am less familiar with Western Wyoming than I am with the Black Hills. It has been about five years since I visited the Tetons while I visit the Black Hills about twice a year. September is a good choice. However, not all years are equal. There are some years when the changing Aspen trees are simply breathtaking and other years merely beautiful. The Black Hills area is quite large, by the way, and the scenery is different throughout -- the southern hills are much different, for instance, than the northern area and different still from the Wyoming bits.

In any event, I wouldn't worry about hotel space; in my experience there is an overabundance of hotel space there... particularly at that time of year. Rapid City would certainly have vacancies. As well as Deadwood... or Newcastle... or Hulett, as far as that goes.

The Badlands south of Rapid City are also photographically interesting in the morning/evening hours. (As if you are looking for more ground to cover. I actually doubt you will get to everything you have planned in that time span.)

Have fun.

Ron

vandevanterSH

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 07:52:30 pm »

That is probably the best time.  I lived in Jackson WY for four years  and after Labor day the crowds are much less and the weather is still quite pleasant.  I would still check on rooms in advance, finding a place to stay still might be iffy.

Steve

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:17:44 pm »

The weather can be absolutely anything you can imagine, and probably will be.  Take everything you have.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

vandevanterSH

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:59:18 am »

The weather can be absolutely anything you can imagine, and probably will be.  Take everything you have.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True.  On morning in mid-June, I woke up and saw 6" of snow in the yard.

Steve

nma

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 09:14:00 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This period should be beautiful. But sunrise will be cold, could easily be in the low 30's F.
Keep in mind that some places close after labor day (e.g. B&B's) so check.  When visiting
Yellowstone, I found that West Yellowstone was the most convenient base. It is one mile outside the park and gives a much wider range of options than you find available in the park after Labor Day.  I particularly try to avoid the concessions in the park as they are way overpriced and indifferently managed. There are some low cost and perfectly fine local-owned motels in West Yellowstone.

TerryM

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 07:48:35 pm »

This period should be beautiful. But sunrise will be cold, could easily be in the low 30's F.
Keep in mind that some places close after labor day (e.g. B&B's) so check.  When visiting
Yellowstone, I found that West Yellowstone was the most convenient base. It is one mile outside the park and gives a much wider range of options than you find available in the park after Labor Day.  I particularly try to avoid the concessions in the park as they are way overpriced and indifferently managed. There are some low cost and perfectly fine local-owned motels in West Yellowstone.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127563\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the tip. I think I will stay in West Yellowstone. Looks to be much closer. Thanks.

DonWeston

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:57:15 pm »

I was in the Tetons late August- early September last year. The weather was very nice but temps ranged through out the days. There was minimal snow even on the mountain tops, but mornings before sunrise were raw and cold, like a dry 25-30 F. With a breeze it got nippy to say the least, days could be as high as 80. When we were there we were told to expect even more extreme conditions possibly. Would have given anything for some snow, but wasn't that lucky. It was beautiful none the less. I would pack for both winter and summer stuff, we just shed layers as the day progressed only to layer on again in the evening...fwiw.
Pages: [1]   Go Up