Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: teleconverters on a canon p&s  (Read 3122 times)

traveller32

teleconverters on a canon p&s
« on: July 01, 2007, 12:16:55 am »

Hello all,

I've just found this forum and hope someone can enlighten me.

As I couldn't afford the Canon 30d I picked up an A640 instead, to hold me over until I could afford the SLR.  I am very pleased with the IQ and features. It has renewed my passion for taking creative photos, since I hung up my film SLR. It simply blows away my old 3.2 mp sony which self destructed.

I miss being able to use the macro adapters and polarizer, and I found that I can get an adapter to attach 52 mm filters or a tele or wide converter to.  As I already have an array of 52 mm filters I'm defintly gonna buy the adapter.

My question is this,  Can I attach a 52 mm  2x teleconverter on top of my 52mm circular polarizer or other filter?  

The particular teleconverter I'm looking at (Kenko knt20) is threaded to accept 70 something mm filters, but again, cost is an issue.  I realize vignetting could be an issue at shorter focal lengths, but I have no problems in cropping out dark corners.

Also,
    Will the polarizer still function as it would when located on the outside of the lens? The UV filter?

All input welcome.

rck

• http://www.kiesler.at/
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:56:53 am »

If it is threaded to accept 70mm filters, why not use them?

There are all kind of filters available, from the very cheap to the very expensive.

traveller32

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:45:27 am »

I could search and find some inexpensive 67 mm filters for the teleconverter, but I already have High quality 52 mm filters.  I just wanted to know if they'd work properly on the other side of the lens.

rck

• http://www.kiesler.at/
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 11:26:32 am »

Usually, filters are at the very end of the lens. That's what filter creators also think, I guess. So maybe, I'm just guessing, the teleconverter is too heavy in the long run and can damage your filter?

Also, I'm not sure how the plane end of the filter and the teleconverter match. If you have both already, why not simply try it? If you are happy with the results, it should be ok.

traveller32

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 11:39:13 am »

I don't have the adapter or converter yet.   I was hoping to get a definety yes or no if it will work or not.  If it wouldn't work I could order a 67mm polarized filter from the same outfit and save on shipping charges.

When I get them I'll try it out and let you know.  2 weeks or so

[

traveller32

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 11:02:55 pm »

Update.
I received the adapter and teleconverter today, and the polarizer filter does work properly inbetween the adapter and converter.  On any setting but full manual, the LCD adjusts for brightness as I spin the filter and lens, and makes it a bit more difficult to adjust the sky to super blue.  There is no problem with focusing.  The filter does allow the converter lens to wobble slightly, but does not seem to overstress the filter.  Not an Ideal setup, but it was nice to be able to re use my 52 mm slr filters

It's nice to have 280 mm zoom again,  I have to relearn how to hold it steady at that zoom.  My old film slr was much easier to hold
Pages: [1]   Go Up