Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscape Image Feedback?  (Read 9020 times)

Landscape Image Feedback?
« on: August 22, 2003, 12:13:19 pm »

There are many site on the Net that offer this. I'd therefoire rather that we saved the bandwidth and disk space available here for other purposes.

Michael

d2frette

• http://
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 01:01:33 pm »

But, if all we post are URLs, then there's not much bandwidth/hard disk space occupied. :cool:
David M. Frette.  
Programming, Photo

Joe Hardesty

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 03:16:44 pm »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to weigh in as being oposed to posting images for critique. As stated, there are literaly hundreds of sites where this can be done.

More importantly, on sites, where this is allowed, threads are often littered with photos with people asking "what do you think?". Given the fact that it largely boils down to personal opinion, it seems that there is limited value. But worse, is the fact that the board gets cluttered with this stuff, and finding new or important information becomes much more difficult.

One or two images won't matter, but hundreds of such posting multiplied by hundreds of page views will certainly effect bandwidth.
Thanks for the memories!

d2frette

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 04:14:13 pm »

Michael - First off, I'd like to say that you run a very effective website (fairly concise, fairly organized, very informative, clean/easy to use, ...).  So, your decision to keep photo critiques out is totally cool with me.

Second, I appreciate your later comment:
"Simply put, I'd rather leave free-form image submissions and discussions to boards that specialize in this."  That's your decision on how you want to run your site.  Your choice is understandable, as it must already take a great deal of time to run this site (being editor and webmaster and discussion board administrator, oh yeah, and photographer too!).

Third, I must say I don't understand how adding a critique section would clutter this site.  Nor do I agree that bandwidth would be consumed.  Your webserver will load the page to the browser, supply it everything it needs, and move on.  Your server doesn't care where other images are or how fast they load.  It's bandwidth is uneffected.  And if someone is using dial-up, they need not check the critique section.

Fourth, I haven't been too active on other discussions about critiques.  Many just post images and others say yeah or nay, crop, sharpen, ... la la la.  I have seen very few true critique posts, and perhaps I'd need to look around a bit more if I'd want that.  Here's my point:

I would venture to say that if this site were to contain such a section, I have a feeling that the quality of responses on this board would be much greater than other boards that I have seen.  People here are busy, honest, and most aren't shy when asked their thoughts.  People would greatly value the honesty of the audience of this website.  As a non-pro who would like to be a pro (at least in quality, but in profession, too), their comments would be highly respected.  I don't have a huge portfolio to tell people "hey go look at my site."  I do, however, like to learn and build a portfolio as I go.  

Learning is a tremendous opportunity we have.  I'd like to take the opportunity to learn as much as I can, and those active on this board are awesome because they share their wealth - their knowledge!!  

So, Michael, you have a great site for which I am very fortunate.  Thanks!!   ::  Maybe someday you'll reconsider?
David M. Frette.  
Programming, Photo

d2frette

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 07:00:11 pm »

Michael -

Sweeeet!  I'm looking forward to it.  I do hope we can all post to it, albeit in moderation perhaps.  Thanks,

Dave
David M. Frette.  
Programming, Photo

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 02:13:45 pm »

but Derek, you can get all that on photo.net - and look what a mess that's turned into.  The "rate this photo" assembly line... the totally randomness of it all...  it's so diversified that it is become practically useless, although it seems that little sub-groups have formed, in a darwinistic sort of way.

What was interesting about photo.net was philip greenspun's personality (and awesomely, um, average photos). Once that was gone it was just a bunch of guys thumbing through catalogues, with the odd "nice photo 7/7" mumble.

And what was nice about Michael's critique is that you get (got) a photo rated by somebody who knows what he's talking about and who was taking a genuine interest in passing on what he's learnt. And for free!

But to be honest, whilst there are quite a few people frequenting this list who's opinions of my photography I'd be very happy to hear, I don't think wht the LL needs is a free for all forum...
--
David Mantripp

Joe Hardesty

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 03:36:37 pm »

Just remember, "If you build it, THEY will come."
Thanks for the memories!

derekcooper

• www.derekcooper.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 11:03:24 am »

Morning,

I'm new to the forum and have started kicking the tires to see what people discuss here. Does the posting of images for feedback something people are interested in?

Derek Cooper Photography
www.derekcoo

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 12:25:54 pm »

nice photo though  :) (min. bdwth. resp.)
--
David Mantripp

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 02:57:17 pm »

If the URL's are linked here then they slow down the page loading for people who have dial-up connections.

Simply put, I'd rather leave free-form image submissions and discussions to boards that specialize in this. But, having said that, if someone has an image that they really want people's input on and folks want to discuss it, then I'm not going to object.

Michael

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 04:02:21 pm »

If the URL's are linked here then they slow down the page loading for people who have dial-up connections.

Thank you.  My connection speed is 20 kbps. That's one-third of regular dial-up. Inline images that give me no choice but to view them basically confiscate my already scarce resource.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 05:15:50 pm »

Dave,

I have been giving the subject quite a bit of thought. In fact prior to this thread I had already decided to re-institute a critique section — though one that is somewhat different than what was found here for a couple of years, and also different than what one finds elsewhere.

I'll have an announcement on it within the next 24 hours.

Regards,

Michael

derekcooper

• www.derekcooper.com
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 07:43:22 pm »

Fourth, I haven't been too active on other discussions about critiques.  Many just post images and others say yeah or nay, crop, sharpen, ... la la la.  I have seen very few true critique posts, and perhaps I'd need to look around a bit more if I'd want that.  Here's my point:

I would venture to say that if this site were to contain such a section, I have a feeling that the quality of responses on this board would be much greater than other boards that I have seen.  People here are busy, honest, and most aren't shy when asked their thoughts.  People would greatly value the honesty of the audience of this website.
I would like to echo those thoughts. Sure, there are tons of sites that allow people to post images and seek feedback, but few are worthwhile. I'm not sure it's strictly a yay or nay thing. We could discuss composition, use of colour, negative space, etc. etc.

It all depends on the people participating and the quality of input sought and received. I tend to be an honest person and value the input from those whose work I truly respect.

The challenge is to keep the content / feedback of high quality, focused on the issues, whether it be composition, colours, whatever, and not permit it to degrade into an ego thing. I've seen it happen. If people really don't want to get feedback, good and bad, then they shouldn't post.

I hear you on the bandwidth side Michael. You don't permit people to upload images to your site, so that's a savings. I run a forum and permit people to upload images, and so far it hasn't been an issue. Although my forum is only months old and with 1,400 posts, I don't have the traffic issues you deal with.

I look forward to the announcement on the topic. Some ideas on what might help make it work, just off the top of my head:

- nominate a mod or two to keep an eye on the posts and shut down any that get out of control / turn into an ego-fest

- provide guidelines that ask people to post an image and request specific feedback, instead of the blanket "What do you think?" which is what I did just for kicks!  :)

- many sites won't allow the "sharing" of images; once the server determines that it isn't its site that is displaying the image, it intercepts the URL call and doesn't display an image, so people should be aware of that

- perhaps setting a minimum member level for participating in the discussions; only those who have posted at least 20 messages in the forum to weed out some of the chaff

- any negative criticism must include a photo demonstrating how to improve upon one's skill by the person posting the criticism; helps reduce the arm-chair-quarterback from jumping all over people

That's it for now. I look foward to seeing what surfaces.

Cheers
Derek Cooper Photography
www.derekcoo

derekcooper

• www.derekcooper.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2003, 03:27:02 pm »

What was interesting about photo.net was philip greenspun's personality (and awesomely, um, average photos). Once that was gone it was just a bunch of guys thumbing through catalogues, with the odd "nice photo 7/7" mumble.
I hear ya - but that's not the kind of thing I was proposing. I'm suggesting people post an image and request specific feedback, not the general "What do you think?" I couldn't agree more the photo.net site is pretty hopeless. If LL's audience is more sophisticated, it might actually be worthwhile.

Just some food for thought, if there's interest. If not, no problem.
Derek Cooper Photography
www.derekcoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up