Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Burn 4.2gb VJ 16 onto a DVD?  (Read 9403 times)

stemc

How to Burn 4.2gb VJ 16 onto a DVD?
« on: June 29, 2007, 07:44:34 pm »

Hi there,

I've just downloaded the 4.2gb LL VJ 16 files. I've placed all the files into the Video_TS folder as instructed and am now ready to burn it to DVD or watch it on my Macbook.

After much faffing about, I eventually figured out that I could drag the Video_TS folder onto the DVD Player App and the movie started playing.

However, I'd like to burn this to a DVD and watch it on my TV using my normal DVD player, as opposed to viewing it on the computer.

Can anyone give me a few step by instructions for doing this on a Mac please?

My first attempt on the Mac was to create a new burn folder named LLVJ16. I then dragged the Video_TS and Audio_TS (even though he audio folder is empty) onto this Burn Folder and then burned the DVD. For some reason, the burned DVD doesn't play on my Macbook or on my normal DVD player so I guess I'm doing something wrong? Perhaps I've not got the folder structure right? Perhaps I should have burned the parent LLVJ_16 folder and the other two Video and Audio folders go inside that?

It took a long time to burn the DVD so I'm just posting this for some quick advice before trying anything else. As far as software goes, I've just got the standard Mac software - DVD Player, iDVD, iMovies, and QuickTime Player (the Pro version).

Thanks,

Stephen

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:48:50 pm »

The simplest way I know is to use Roxio's Toast - an application that allows you to burn a DVD-Video from the VIDEO_TS folder.

Remember, there is no authoring or menu creation needed - that's all been done. The DVD-Video Download files are _exactly_ the same as the physical DVD at completion of mastering.

BTW Apple's DVD Player will allow you to play the VIDEO_TS folder. Just go to File/Open DVD Media... and select the VIDEO_TS folder

CS
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:50:52 pm by Chrissand »

francois

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:40:46 am »

If you don't yet own Toast, you can try DVD Imager (free). I didn't test it. I used mkisofs (free also, in this case you'll need to download the GUI tool and the mkisofs binary).

DVD Imager (& mkisofs) will take your VIDEO_TS folder and make a burnable DVD image file. You can then burn this image file with Disk Utility (in your utilites folder).

Edit: DVD Imager uses mkisofs, so it seems to be the way to go.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 06:31:26 am by francois »
Francois

stemc

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 08:40:09 am »

The simplest way I know is to use Roxio's Toast - an application that allows you to burn a DVD-Video from the VIDEO_TS folder.

Remember, there is no authoring or menu creation needed - that's all been done. The DVD-Video Download files are _exactly_ the same as the physical DVD at completion of mastering.

BTW Apple's DVD Player will allow you to play the VIDEO_TS folder. Just go to File/Open DVD Media... and select the VIDEO_TS folder

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125680\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, I don't have Roxio Toast, but DVD Imager worked a treat thanks to Francois' recommendation for an alternative free application.

Yes, I'd said above that I had figured out how to drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder onto the Mac DVD Player. I think you should add this info into the readme file - you could include hints and tips for both Mac and PC users.

Thanks,

Stephen

stemc

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 08:42:22 am »

If you don't yet own Toast, you can try DVD Imager (free). I didn't test it. I used mkisofs (free also, in this case you'll need to download the GUI tool and the mkisofs binary).

DVD Imager (& mkisofs) will take your VIDEO_TS folder and make a burnable DVD image file. You can then burn this image file with Disk Utility (in your utilites folder).

Edit: DVD Imager uses mkisofs, so it seems to be the way to go.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Francois, DVD Imager worked a treat! I just installed it and dragged the VIDEO_TS folder onto it. It then created a IMG file for me. When I opened that IMG file, it mounted it for me, then opening Disk Utility allowed me to select this and Burn it to DVD.

Thanks for the instructions.

Stephen

francois

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 09:39:53 am »

Thanks Francois, DVD Imager worked a treat! I just installed it and dragged the VIDEO_TS folder onto it. It then created a IMG file for me. When I opened that IMG file, it mounted it for me, then opening Disk Utility allowed me to select this and Burn it to DVD.

Thanks for the instructions.

Stephen
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Stephen,
Glad to see that it worked for you.

Have a good day!
Francois

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 11:21:56 am »

...I think you should add this info into the readme file - you could include hints and tips for both Mac and PC users.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes - a good suggestion and certainly one that I thought about when creating the ReadMe. I decided not to since there are _many_ different platforms and software solutions to burning a DVD and my rule of thumb is 'Keep it simple'. I finally decided to say:

"Once all thirty-nine files are together in the VIDEO_TS folder, you will be able to use DVD playing or copying software to play or burn a copy of the LLVJ-16 DVD-Video.
Please read the Help file of your DVD-Video software to learn how to burn or play a DVD-Video
from the VIDEO_TS media files."

I should also add for those that have followed this thread, that the product has been available for a week - traditionallly the strongest period for sales. The product has reached an astounding 8 (EIGHT) sales... I think it highly unlikely that I will repeat this exercise for LLVJ-17. The demand is not sufficient to justify the time that I spent on it  

CS

mikealex

• http://www.pbase.com/mikealex
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 11:41:13 am »

I'm really sorry to hear that it didn't sell well, but I'd really encourage you to try it for at least one more issue. I'm sure a number of people bought the downloadable version, before knowing the DVD version would be available. Also, there were a number of us (myself included) that were your beta testers, that likely would have bought it (I know I would have).

I have both the downloadable version, and the DVD version of LLVJ16, and there's just no way I'm going to be happy with the downloadable versions. The image quality is just not good enough, and I really don't enjoy watching 2.5 hours of video in a little window on my computer screen.

I'd also like to point out that the main problem you have (other than your slow internet connection to post the files) is that your store software doesn't allow 4.1GB files to be downloaded. If it did, a single ISO file would be trivial for you to create, and for subscribers to download and burn.

I foolishly converted my DVD subscription to coupons for downloadable files. I'm really regretting that decision now. I have no intention of downloading anymore low quality video files.

If there is not going to be a downloadable DVD option made available, then I would like either my 6 download coupons converted back to 3 DVDs by mail, or my money refunded.

...Mike
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:42:08 am by mikealex »
...Mike

francois

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 12:05:15 pm »

The product has reached an astounding 8 (EIGHT) sales... I think it highly unlikely that I will repeat this exercise for LLVJ-17. The demand is not sufficient to justify the time that I spent on it   
I'm shocked, really! Quality is so much higher and the price is right. I can't believe that customers don't buy it. By today's standards, downloading those 4GB is undoubtedly within the possibilities of more than 8 customers.

The only logical explanation would be that a majority of customers already purchased and downloaded LLVJ 16 (std resolution) and didn't want to buy it again.

Chris, I strongly encourage you to do some more "noise" on the What's New page.

I can't help to feel sorry for all the work you've been doing on LLVJ 16 and I fully understand your lack of enthusiasm for LLVJ 17.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:13:48 pm by francois »
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 12:24:07 pm »

I agree with Mike and Francois: I hope you will give LLVJ 17 a try before giving up on the high-res version.

I suspect that many subscribers had already gotten #16 on DVD long before the download became available (I certainly did), or converted to the low-res download because it was the only one available at the time (I did, too), so #16 was really no fair test of the market.

I was away for two weeks and then had strange problems downloading the Beta (not from your end -- my downloads aborted in the middle because of some problem at my end. I finally got them all downloaded ok (the file sizes on the "My Account" page were a big help), and assembled, and burned to a DVD-R, ...

and then I had a Homer Simpson moment      

When I went to play my new homemade DVD-R on my telly, I was rudely reminded that my DVD player only does DVD+R.  (ouch!)

So this afternoon I go get a DVD+-R burner for my PC.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KeithR

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 12:53:30 pm »

I should also add for those that have followed this thread, that the product has been available for a week - traditionallly the strongest period for sales. The product has reached an astounding 8 (EIGHT) sales... I think it highly unlikely that I will repeat this exercise for LLVJ-17. The demand is not sufficient to justify the time that I spent on it   

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the problem is the time lag between when you first announced the switch from mailing the DVD to the initial descission to download the LLVJ and this higher quality DVD. The fact that you offered the incentive of a twofer for converting and then not allowing conversion back to get the better quality, has an effect also. And that those that converted to the download, accepted the lack in quality, and are not willing to pay again(and more) for a product that they already have. While we all greatly enjoy the LLVJ, we also like it because of the high quality when we watch it on "the big screen".  Most if not all looked forward to getting the DVD because of the quality, but switched because of 1) we were told that this was the only way it would be distributed in the future, 2) most didn't want to wait the 4-6 months between issues, and the terrible time lag in mailing.
Many of us are in front of the computer screen too much and look forward to the comfort break that the TV screen provides. I also view segments of the journal with members of my camera club. We can relax in a more comfortable surrounding and better enjoy the LLVJ.
I think that you are right in the decission to switch to the download, but the the fact that you offered the lower quality first made this latest offer a very hard sell. I would suggest that this newest DVD quality offering is the only version that is offered in the future and that as of the date you started it(a week ago) that you allow the current subscribers(those that have the 2fer) a way to get the newer issues at their current situations or for a  greatly reduced rate, say $4.95USD until the subsrition runs out. After that, it goes to a per issue price or another subscription. Just an opinion.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

stemc

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 08:09:26 pm »

Yes - a good suggestion and certainly one that I thought about when creating the ReadMe. I decided not to since there are _many_ different platforms and software solutions to burning a DVD and my rule of thumb is 'Keep it simple'. I finally decided to say:

"Once all thirty-nine files are together in the VIDEO_TS folder, you will be able to use DVD playing or copying software to play or burn a copy of the LLVJ-16 DVD-Video.
Please read the Help file of your DVD-Video software to learn how to burn or play a DVD-Video
from the VIDEO_TS media files."

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand the amount of permutations available for operating systems and software, but the above instructions would allow all Mac users to do this with free software. Anything above this, I agree, it's up to them to look in their own user manuals. I guess my point is, it would have been so much less of a headache for me to have read Francois' instructions in the readme file, rather than searching the web and scratching my head in frustration. I wouldn't expect detailed instructions for each OS/software, but a few bullets for Mac, and a few similar bullets for PC would be very helpful. Of course, I'm not sure if this free software is available for the PC or not...

Sorry to hear you're considering stopping the 4.2gb download - I have to say, I don't mind downloading this now I know how to, but I wouldn't want a reduced quality version. I enjoyed burning this to DVD rather than viewing it on a computer screen (the quality actually appeared better on the TV screen than it did on my computer screen!), but would be suspect of viewing the VJ at a lower quality setting.

Thanks,

Stephen

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 01:11:05 am »

Chris,

I have all of the issues and a subscription through the next issue, and let me agree with everything KeithR said. I was turned off by the idea of lower-quality files (I am waiting for HD files...) and having to fiddle with the downloads to make a video DVD (which is the format I want) in order to go watch it with my father on his big-screen TV. I watch too much stuff on my computer as it is.

I have broadband, so personally, if you make a simple .iso that can easily be mastered to DVD (preferably with a printable cover set up for some easy-to-purchase sticky covers) for less than the mailed DVD, I will go for it. If this is what your product is, then I did not pick that up from the material I was sent, and you should try to fix that for issue #17.

-Sean [www.larkvi.com]
-Sean [ we

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 12:15:49 pm »

if you make a simple .iso that can easily be mastered to DVD (preferably with a printable cover set up for some easy-to-purchase sticky covers) for less than the mailed DVD, I will go for it. If this is what your product is, then I did not pick that up from the material I was sent, and you should try to fix that for issue #17.
One large iso file is impractical for the reasons already stated on this thread and elsewhere. You can however very easily master the exact same DVD-Video from the files that are available on the DVD-Video Download page
There is also free artwork for Jewel box or standard DVD Amaray box. It is downloadable via this page.

CS

reyn_two

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 01:55:05 am »

My DVD subscription runs to issue 20 after that I will buy the dvd download version, I will not buy the computer watching version. I didn't know the dvd download was ready yet, I look most days for What's new but must have missed it.
Frank

shootergirl

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 10:06:49 am »

There is also free artwork for Jewel box or standard DVD Amaray box. It is downloadable via this page.

CS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(I hit some weird key combo and lost my first version of this, so sorry if this is a repeat.)

Chris, thanks for doing this! I'm downloading the inserts for the LLVJs I've got. Do you plan on maybe sharing the DVD label, too?

I really hope you continue offering DVD downloads. It was SO simple to download and the "assembly" took all of 30 seconds.

Donna

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 10:44:31 am »

Do you plan on maybe sharing the DVD label, too?
Sure. I had not thought of that but of course many people will be able to print it on to a white-backed DVD-R or onto a CD/DVD stick-on label. Try downloading from here and let me know how you make out. It is a 200 dpi PDF file sized fractionally larger than a DVD so that it may be printed 'bleed'
Chris S
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:16:40 am by Chrissand »

shootergirl

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 11:55:56 am »

Sure. I had not thought of that but of course many people will be able to print it on to a white-backed DVD-R or onto a CD/DVD stick-on label. Try downloading from here and let me know how you make out. It is a 200 dpi PDF file sized fractionally larger than a DVD so that it may be printed 'bleed'
Chris S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PERFECT! I'll use it when I get home. I had a $45 coupon from Epson and bought a refurbished printer last week that will print on CDs and DVDs. Total cash outlay was $14 (including shipping). Now I'll have a complete LLVJ DVD package. Cool!

Thanks, Chris!

Donna
Pages: [1]   Go Up