Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Needed a new camera bag . . .  (Read 1725 times)

robertwatcher

Needed a new camera bag . . .
« on: June 27, 2007, 05:13:39 pm »

Not that my current 20 year old Hakuba isn't holding up just fine - - - just I needed more space - and more on a flat plane so I'm not stacking gear on top of each other. It also is a traditional shoulder strap bag which makes it a pain to carry around, and so generally it is left in my van - if indeed I take it at all with me. So if I don't take it at all, I generally have one or two of my cameras sitting on blankets on the van floor plus I have my lap top with wireless in a bag that always take with me.

Last week I noticed these backpack bags in a photo magazine and thought I'd investigate more in to them. Not that I figured they'd be of any value to take with me to wear when I'm shooting wedding or portraits, but a convenient way to keep everything (including the laptop) with me in one bag that is I chose to, I could wear for street or landscape or stock photrography and it would not restrict me from shooting. My hands would be free and I wouldn't have to set the bag down and put my foot through the shoulder strap for security reasons. For train or airplane trips, this in my all in one carry on bag so that it doesn't go out of my sight. Also I won't feel strange at all carrying a bag like this into a coffee shop or store as wpople won't even look at it like a camera bag - - -I would always feel stupid carrying my camera bag in to a restaurant because  I didn't want to leave it in my van.

Well the camera store I go to in London happened to have a sale on one of the Lowepro models today, saving me around $35 with taxes (just a bit over $100 CDN). I was really thinking that I wanted the larger model but after comparing the two realized that while the larger size would handle more gear with more space, it would also mean far more weight and bulk for traveling. I am ever glad I opted for the smaller Computrekker AW. It holds my 2 cameras with lenses attached (one feature I wanted above all else), several lenses, flash, small digital video camera, my 15" laptop, camera manuals, all kinds of filters, batteries, cards and accessories, and there still is a large compartement to take and extra set of clothing, underwear and socks. Oh and I can strap a tripod or my monopod on the back without it wacking me in the head as happens when I use the shoulder strap I have for my pods.

Of course - it weighs a ton with all of this gear, so I won't necessarily take it all with me all the time - - - but it gives me the options I want. Impressive is that it has a built in rain jacket that pulls out of the bottom and wraps around the whole bag to protect it. The feel on my shoulders is very comfortable. The straps don't slip off my shoulder and there is a waist belt to keep everything balanced and not allow it to fall off when I bend over or bend sideways. I have not been backpacking for years and since I was much younger, and so anticipate that it will feel even more natural and effortless as I get used to it and build my strength a little.  The bigger bag would have been huge and cumbersome for me and my purpose. There are compromises with every piece of equipment. This camera bag is no different, but should work well for my free spirited and adventurous lifestyle.

(Note : the camera that I am shooting with fits perfectly in the spot where the ZipLock bag is placed)
Pages: [1]   Go Up