Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod head recommendation needed  (Read 14724 times)

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
Tripod head recommendation needed
« on: June 23, 2007, 01:27:34 pm »

I recently upgraded to a Canon EOS 5D body and the 24-70 EF L lens for my landscape work. I immediately discovered that this combination is just too heavy and overwhelms my old tripod head that was sufficient for a 20D with the 17-85 IS EFS on it. So I'm looking to buy a new head.

It will be used for:

- general landscape photography
- some telephoto work with the 100-400 4.5/5.6 EF IS L
- some macro work

I'm not exactly flush with cash, so tips from the bargain hunting crowd are welcome. I've also got no problem with being pinged off-list if someone has a piece of used equipment they would like to unload that would fit my needs.

thx

Sean M.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 01:47:05 pm »

Hi!

I use mostly Really Right Stuff BH-40. My other head is n Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. The only reason I prefere the BH-40 is because it has a level quick release. I can recommenf both.

I read a favorable review of the Novoflex BALL 40 ballhead which is said to be very sturdy and have very definitive locking.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4840...0_Ballhead.html

Erik

I recently upgraded to a Canon EOS 5D body and the 24-70 EF L lens for my landscape work. I immediately discovered that this combination is just too heavy and overwhelms my old tripod head that was sufficient for a 20D with the 17-85 IS EFS on it. So I'm looking to buy a new head.

It will be used for:

- some macro work

I'm not exactly flush with cash, so tips from the bargain hunting crowd are welcome. I've also got no problem with being pinged off-list if someone has a piece of used equipment they would like to unload that would fit my needs.

thx

Sean M.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124554\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 03:14:47 pm »

The Kirk BH-3 at ~$250 might be the least expensive quality ballhead that will come close to meeting your requirements.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

dabreeze

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 03:21:58 pm »

hard to go wrong with RRS or Kirk. The RRS BH-40 LR would be ideal for your 5D. If you go ahead and spend for an L bracket as well your in field workflow will benefit immeasurably. there's absolutely nothing more worthy of money spent than a really easy-to-use, efficient tripod/ballhead/L bracket combo. spend now, thank yourself for years to come!!!

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 04:16:04 pm »

The manfrotto 468 is very decent, depending on your budget you could also look at the 486. Fortunately I ordered the cheap on and manfrotto sent me the expensive one, i emailed them and they never responded...

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 06:10:40 pm »

I had a Linhof for years and needed a ball head for both my 5D and a 4x5 view camera so I searched all the possibilities and ended up with a manfrotto 322RC2 pistol grip ball head. My logic was the ball is on the tripod and the camera is on the handle so my left hand adds stability to the camera. The handle also seconds as a panning grip for panoramas (with a novoflex panning base). Only $120 and good build quality. Light weight. The only down side is it is a bit sticky in the vertical axis.
Marc
[attachment=2675:attachment]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 06:11:42 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 09:03:49 pm »

This would also be excellent...

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php

I have the M10 and it is great.  I am sure the Q3 would be more than enough.

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 06:15:47 pm »

OK Digit. That particular lens 24-70 Canon L is pretty heavy.  Manfroto has a nice product, model 322RC2.  I donn't havve the spec sheet in front of me so cannot guarnatee the applicability.  I own one. This is one of 2 Manfroto models with a "pistol grip".  There is a horizontal grip off to to the side of the ball. Another model has the handle vertical to the ball.  Average selling price is around $125 US for either model.  

I didn't research this one too much. The ergonomics were good, the price was "about right" and I trusted the brand as well as the local camera store, so that was the extend of analysis.  Works so far for me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 06:20:59 pm by Goodlistener »

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 01:04:46 am »

Thank you to everyone for their recommendations. I am currently considering supplicating myself before "The Wife" for the RRS BH-40 or BH-55. The 55 catches my eye as I acquired a Linhof late last year with a couple of super angulon lenses that I've had a hankering to run some film through.

I have to ask, though, what the heck is an L plate? Apparently I'm doing a lousy job at keeping abreast of developments.

francois

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 03:21:34 am »

...I have to ask, though, what the heck is an L plate? Apparently I'm doing a lousy job at keeping abreast of developments.
See here.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 03:22:29 am by francois »
Francois

stever

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 12:45:28 pm »

i highly recommend the RRS L-plate in combination with a short rail like the RRS MPR-CL which allows rotating the lens about the nodal point for panoramas or putting the center of gravity of the lens/camera directly over the ball head

unfortunately, i find the BH 40 to have some stick-slip unless i spray dry lube on it periodically and it moves just slightly on clamping.  my older Linhof has no issues, but of course it's heavier as is the BH-55

mikeguil

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 11:59:39 pm »

I also highly recommend the RRS L-plate and BH-55.  I wrote a review of this on the Nikonians website: BH-55 Review

I've since purchased the Gitzo 3540XLS and have the BH-55 mounted to it.  Makes for an awesome combination.  I also have the new RRS Wedding Pro bracket (photos).  The bracket allows for vertical or horizontal mounting with a flash on the BH-55 because of the L-plate.

Lester

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 11:29:52 am »

I too like to shoot landscape and I like to use the Bogen/Manfrotto 3275(410) it has a quick release and it will support anything you have. I used it on my 1Ds MkII and Mamiya 645 with P45. You can get it used on ebay for $150 and it is like new. Very solid and it is a geared head, for fine adjustment, perfect for macro work.

It will be used for:

- some macro work

thx

Sean M.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124554\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

seepaert

• http://
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 01:48:56 pm »

Have you considered hanging your 100-400 in a gimbal mount, like the Manfrotto 393 (or much more expensive stuff from Kimberrley or others)?

fennario

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 01:23:48 pm »

i highly recommend the RRS L-plate in combination with a short rail like the RRS MPR-CL which allows rotating the lens about the nodal point for panoramas or putting the center of gravity of the lens/camera directly over the ball head

unfortunately, i find the BH 40 to have some stick-slip unless i spray dry lube on it periodically and it moves just slightly on clamping.  my older Linhof has no issues, but of course it's heavier as is the BH-55
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127611\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree... while I do like my BH-40, it does drift slightly subsequent to locking down the ball (just enough to be annoying).  If I were to repurchase I would go for a BH-55 or Arca/Swiss B-1.

theophilus

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 01:59:23 pm »

I also use the BH-40 with 5D and L-plate.  Highly recommended.  Plus the pano gear available from RRS is top-notch if you want to go that direction in the future.

jonstewart

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 03:11:28 pm »

I too like to shoot landscape and I like to use the Bogen/Manfrotto 3275(410) it has a quick release and it will support anything you have. I used it on my 1Ds MkII and Mamiya 645 with P45. You can get it used on ebay for $150 and it is like new. Very solid and it is a geared head, for fine adjustment, perfect for macro work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree...I use the same (head and (nearly) gear) as well!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:11:50 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 02:38:09 am »

With nearly the same camera gear I'm using the smallest Markins ballhead, the Kirk L-plate for the 5D and the Gitzo GT2540LVL.

http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/q3.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up