Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maui Photo Locations  (Read 24906 times)

mtodd78

Maui Photo Locations
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:57:10 am »

I am taking the family to Maui at the end of August. This will be my third trip there, but the first when it comes to bringing my 5D and lenses. I want to spend some time taking photos, but am not sure where to go on Maui to do this. Any suggestions on locations would be much appreciated. I am planning on taking my 24-105IS, 70-200IS, 17-40 and a tripod.

Thanks,
Mike

englishm

• http://www.pacificlight.ca
Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:17:07 pm »

Where are you staying on the island?

Other than the usual sandy beach/sunset cliches, I would head upcountry.  There is a lavender farm near kula, paragliding just above it.  Sunrise from the top of Haleakala is a "life list" experience.  Catch the windsurfers in the late afternoon light at Hookipa beach near Paia.  THe drive to Hana is legendary... many waterfalls, etc.
Mark English
[url=http://www.pacificligh

mtodd78

Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 12:27:57 pm »

Where are you staying on the island?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes staying right near black rock. Will be diving there too.

Thanks for the suggestions on the locations inland. I did the drive to hana one other time w/o a camera. If I do it again, I will make sure to take a tripod and try to get some photos.

rbarrios

Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:51:40 am »

Hi all,

I've always found "automatic" HDR pictures (via Photomatix or PS) unnatural and unrealistic. Usually they create pictures that are too flat when they actually should have very bright and very dark areas, or they create obvious halos where they don't belong.

My experience is that best results come from layering all the exposures and manually painting or putting gradints on the masks. No doubt, they will take much more time from you than the automatic solutions, but the reward is also greater.

These (I've posted here) are not great pictures but are great (I belive) examples of manual HRD that (to me) don't look unnatural at all but are impossible to get in a single exposure:

[attachment=2682:attachment][attachment=2683:attachment]

Regards,
Roberto

cmburns

Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:58:39 pm »

When you do the Hana highway drive you might consider going on around the backway. It's a long drive, a few potholes but certainly not the impassable road the rental car companies make it out to be, we made it just fine in a regular ol rental car. Anyway it's a part of the island seldom seen or photographed. It comes out about halfway up on Haleakala.

Drive north out of Lahaina and Kaanapali. Up on the north coast there is a blowhole. I've only been in the winter and it was going both times then, but with calmer seas like you'll get in August it might not be going. Even so walk down to it, there's some wild looking rock there where the salt spray from the blowhole has corroded them over the centuries.

Haleakala sunrise can be real hit or miss. The first time I did it it was one of those life lists moment. The 2nd time the sun rose for about 10 seconds and then a cloud blew across and it was all fog. There's a hike that goes down into the crater and out at a lower elevation. Do it if you have someone that can pick you up at the exit point. Dress WARM for the sunrise, i've always froze my ass off up there until the sun gets up, especially the hands, you just don't think to bring gloves to hawaii lol.

Buy this guidebook
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

It shows all kinds of spots all over the island that most people drive right past.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:01:02 pm »

I would buy  Photograph America  (Maui) this will give you many tips on when/where to photograph

http://www.photographamerica.com/issue04.htm

Be sure to get sunrise at the crater (I stayed in the Lahaina area and left a 3:30 am).
Road to Hana:  Rainbow Eucalyptus trees and the rain forest area (mosquitoes are really really aggressive).  
Water Falls galore   (7 pools and more)
Black sand beach scenes

Also Iao Needle area  (early morning seemed best for me)

Many flowering plants that would be a good subject

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:03:02 pm »

I would buy  Photograph America  (Maui) this will give you many tips on when/where to photograph

http://www.photographamerica.com/issue04.htm

Be sure to get sunrise at the crater (I stayed in the Lahaina area and left a 3:30 am).
Road to Hana:  Rainbow Eucalyptus trees and the rain forest area (mosquitoes are really really aggressive).  
Water Falls galore   (7 pools and more)
Black sand beach scenes

Also Iao Needle area  (early morning seemed best for me)

Many flowering plants that would be a good subject

The problem with being with family (unless they are into photography also) is they do not want to stand around and watch you photograph while there are terrific sites to see.    The crater worked well because I got back about the time the rest of the family was just getting up and around.

JerseyT

• Judd Photo Page
Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:50:49 am »

All of the places mentioned are good to explore.  I happen to prefer sunset and late afternoon on Halaekala.  The crater is beautifully lit in the afternoon - much better than the back lighting of morning.  Get there an hour or so before sunset and be prepared for cold winds.

Look at my website www.juddpage.com for photos from Hawaii, and especially Maui.

Most of the best shooting is early morning and late afternoon.  Do something else in mid day.

Tom J

marcmccalmont

Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 10:11:25 pm »

If you have time in your travel plans visit the Big Island so many stunning places to photograph and inter island tickets are cheap now. If you do visit let me know and I'll share with you my favorite places.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:12:31 pm »

If you have time in your travel plans visit the Big Island so many stunning places to photograph and inter island tickets are cheap now. If you do visit let me know and I'll share with you my favorite places.
Marc
[attachment=2884:attachment]

[attachment=2886:attachment]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 10:15:40 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:44:24 am »

Many good suggestions.  I concur, and might add that the stand of rainbow Eucalyptus mentioned in an earlier post are fascinating to me. I have tried to photograph them on a couple of occasions and have yet captured their remarkable colors in an image that I'm excited about, but I will continue to keep trying each visit. The surf and windsurfers near Paia is also a spot I enjoy shooting as well.

I also enjoy catching sunsets over Lanai  ... around Lahaina you can often get a great shot of a sailboat in the beautiful Maui sunset. with some nice cloud formations  around Lanai.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 11:18:15 am »

Gorgeous State, I can't WAIT to go back (racking up the Delta miles!!)  We were there 1 1/2 years ago - I didn't have time to do anything more than snapshots - there is TOO MUCH to see: http://bgpictures.com/oldgallery/h1/

JerseyT

• Judd Photo Page
Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 11:21:20 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox,Aug 1 2007, 07:44 AM
Many good suggestions.  I concur, and might add that the stand of rainbow Eucalyptus mentioned in an earlier post are fascinating to me. I have tried to photograph them on a couple of occasions and have yet captured their remarkable colors in an image that I'm excited about, but I will continue to keep trying each visit.

Try backing up and using a longer lens.  That helps compress several tree trunks into a pleasing pattern, and it makes it easier to minimize a cluttered background.

Also, be sure to put insect repellent on your legs and ankles.  There is a horde of nasty insects around those trees whose bites leave large red welts that take a week or more to go away.  Deet seems to be quite effective.

Tom J

flyingpanther

Maui Photo Locations
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 10:28:10 am »

I just go back a couple weeks ago and this place is rich for photography. Be careful about going around the back way to Hana as the road was closed for a 1 mile section due to a huge landslide. It looks like construction will be going on for a while. We tried it and had to turn around. Still a scenic drive that way though. Even though everyone has "the book" Maui Revealed that is, I still recommend it. We dog eared just about every page and took it everwhere with us. The road to Hana is a must. A flight to Hana is great. If you do this say hi to pilot Dana! It's a short 15 minute flight from Kahului to Hana airport but you can see over 30 waterfalls on the coastal cliffs. Go to the top of Haleakala and see the endemic Silversword plant which is in bloom now (only blooms once in 50 years) and of course the Nene bird. The Blowhole and that whole section of coast will provide some photo ops. You will be surrounded by beauty everywhere you go. And of course the beaches provide some of the most scenic shots. Have fun! Here are a few from my trip.

Tyler

Windward Maui

Haleakala Silversword

The Blowhole

Morning Reflected

Ku'Au Beach Lava Rocks

The Secret Waterfall
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:46:06 am by flyingpanther »
:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up