Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any info about Nikon's full frame attempts?  (Read 2588 times)

The View

Any info about Nikon's full frame attempts?
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:28:10 am »

There have been several rumours about Nikon full frame cameras being tested.

I wonder when they would be officially announced.

I'm not planning to buy new equipment right now, but, as you know, one always thinks of buying.

What I also wonder: will full frame sooner or later replace APS sized sensors?

(I can hardly imagine how the tiny four thirds system will survive the next ten years).
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

GLJ

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 04:52:57 pm »

(I can hardly imagine how the tiny four thirds system will survive the next ten years).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Strange.... in ten years when medium format digital will be far more commonplace for the really high end stuff and fourthirds cameras will have sensors and bodies that surpass the resolution and noise performance we have today from any Canon or Nikon system .... I can hardly imagine why anyone would want to use 35mm full frame cameras with those nasty legacy lenses and all their inherent problems LOL!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:07:20 pm »

I'm not planning to buy new equipment right now, but, as you know, one always thinks of buying.

What I also wonder: will full frame sooner or later replace APS sized sensors?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As of now, it really looks like Canon intends to maintain different sizes of sensors in their line up. My guess is that this has more to do with commercial than technical reasons.

- ability to maintain artificially high prices for the FF bodies. These high prices have little to do with the actual cost of FF sensors vs APS sensors,
- desire to be on what is considered by many as the top of the hill (mostly a perception thing),
- desire to provide a FF solutions for all those photographers who think they need it (some really do, many don't),

Many of the photographers who think they need FF would IMHO do themselves a huge service by acknowledging the fact that a high end APS solution would be a much better deal.

Since this is obviously not going to happen, my guess is that Nikon will probably release soon a body using a FF, or close-to-FF, sensor. Really sad in my book as I love the DoF and sharpness accross the frame I am getting from my D2x already, a 14 bits APS 20 MP D3x selling for 4.000 US$ would have been an absolute killer as a landscape camera. It will probably not happen though.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up