Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour management for printers?  (Read 4251 times)

olegtov

Colour management for printers?
« on: June 07, 2007, 02:37:25 am »

Hello! Here is my problem. Recently my epson died, and I decided to go and get a new printer. Since most of my important photographs I print at a photolab, I got a cheapie Lexmark p4350. To my surprise when I started printing there was no option to adjust CMY values in the printer setup. I was able to adjust the CMY values within epson printer setup.

Basically what I am trying to find is some sort of utility to adjust the cyan, magenta, and yellow values somewhere during the print setup stage. I realize that one could colour adjust in photoshop to remove the colour cast in printer in photoshop (or as in my case, in lightroom), but that would require individual adjustment in photos, as well as modifying the photos. I would really prefer to adjust the colour values after the photo has left image manipulation software to printer (similar to how you would balance a colour image in a traditional enlarger), like in epson software.

I use a Spyder from Colorvision, and I assigned that profile to the printer, but there is a slight yellow cast on all photos, which led to my question above. However, maybe i need a software to edit the ICC Profile manually.

I cannot afford a hardware printer calibration at the moment as the most I can probably spend is 80 dollars max, preferably 20-30 dollars, or maybe a freeware.

There has to be something out there!

Please help and thanks in advance!

Oleg

redneckphoto

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:09:59 am »

Hi Oleg,
I would try it in Photoshop. Open a cross section of images and see if the amount of colour change that you have to apply is the same or very similar. If it is, then you could create an action that makes the necessary colour adjustment.
When you want to print then open the image, run the action and print. When you've finished then either close the file without saving the changes or have the changes in an adjustment layer (with a suitable name) the adjustment layer can then be deleted when you change printers in the future.
Daryl - Red Deer

olegtov

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 03:53:20 am »

Thank you for responding to my question! That's a good tip! Forgot about the actions.  Is there a similar way to do it in Adobe Lightroom?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up