Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sealing 10D buying 20D  (Read 5959 times)

photopilot37

sealing 10D buying 20D
« on: August 15, 2005, 03:49:43 pm »

Hello David,

I also have the 10D, and have decided to wait for the model following the 20D to see if the upgrade is worthwhile. I make 13 x 19 prints from the 10D and don't see any reason why they would be significantly improved by a few more pixels.

I also believe the primary choice in what camera you buy relates to the lenses that you already own. Once you have chosen the glass to use, you buy the camera body that fits. It takes a compelling reason to change glass once you have an investment in one set of lenses.

As for the noise issues with the higher ISO, the noise reduction programs do a superb job. I would have to shoot a lot of low light images for that to be an issue.

Best Regards & Keep Exposing those Pixels!
Photopilot37
 :cool:

davidr805

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:09:01 pm »

Thanks all for the info

I am tempted to wait for the next generation of the 20D but  I think that all loose more money on my upgrade .. Now because I am in Mexico . i can sale my 10D at 1200 - 1300 USD .. so i won't have to spend a lot on the 20D.. if i wait i may loose more..

because I have only one expensive lens the sigma 15 30mm i don't mind switching  bodies so I  was  thinking on the Konica Maxxum  .. or wait  for one with more pixels

cheers

david

davidr805

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:11:16 pm »

Wel most of the people from mexico can buy from the USA .. and a 10D in mexico was  like 3200 USD when it just arrive ..

wjy

• http://www.billyyunck.com
sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 03:51:13 pm »

What can Canon improve in the 20D's upgrade I ask? More pixels? 6 and 8 mpixels are just fine thank you.  Faster? I have NEVER taken pictures at 5fps (except to hear how fast the camera clicks).
A bigger viewfinder however WOULD be welcome indeed. Better build? Well.. it's reasonably robust already. What is missing? Dunno..

Well, Since breakthroughs are made almost daily in the digital world I would say that Canon could improve on a lot: like better dynamic range, less digital noise, a sensor with less crop factor, a sensor that can be more easily cleaned, or one that won't have to be for that matter, and I could go on and on.  Canon like every business is looking to make money.  It is in their best interests to continue to make an ever better product.  It won't be long before they realease the 20d's upgrade, and yes it will be better.  Some people shoot sports and wildlife were 5 frames per second or more actually is helpful for more than just the cool sound.

davidr805

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 11:16:34 pm »

Thanks for the input

Yes been thinking about the possible new 20D .. so I may wait for it .. mean wile i think a should sale the 10D.. All put an ad on the news paper .. se what happens ..

David

davidr805

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 12:31:53 pm »

I am thinking on sealing the 10D and buying the 20D.  I am mostly interested on the 20D because of the extra pixels ... the flash is a point to ... I mostly make big prints 24"x36" and up. so I have some basic questions:

should I do that?
would it be worth the up grade?
what's the biggest print I can make on a 20D? would it be worth it?
should I buy the body only ( I have the sigma 15-30mm)?
or should get the  Konica Maxxum  7D or wait for the Maxxum 8D ( with more MP)?

thanks

david

wjy

• http://www.billyyunck.com
sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 06:45:10 pm »

I upgraded to the 20d from the 10d as soon as the 20d was available.  After using both cameras I would say it would be worth it to wait for canon's next offering, possibly the 30d.  It is bound to have higher resolution and other improvements.  At 300 dpi the image is only about an inch bigger in width from the 10 to the 20d.  If you use a good print facility, (i have had good luck with some online ones) you can get a very large, sharp print from the 10d.  I would bet we will see a new body from canon in about a year.  You may as well wait at this point.  I only upgraded for the 5 frames per second of the 20d.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 09:02:50 pm »

Thanks all for the info

I am tempted to wait for the next generation of the 20D but  I think that all loose more money on my upgrade .. Now because I am in Mexico . i can sale my 10D at 1200 - 1300 USD .. so i won't have to spend a lot on the 20D.. if i wait i may loose more..

because I have only one expensive lens the sigma 15 30mm i don't mind switching  bodies so I  was  thinking on the Konica Maxxum  .. or wait  for one with more pixels

cheers

david
You can sell a 10D for $1200-$1300 in Mexico?

On eBay, as of last week, $670 is about as good as you can do...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....IT&rd=1
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

jd1566

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 08:20:38 am »

The 20D is a CONSIDERABLE improvement over the 10D, not because of the extra pixels but because it feels like a camera, not a digicam.  The start up delay is almost gone, and just for that reason I upgraded right away.  I cannot really "feel" the difference of an extra 2 mpixels.. I was already happy with what the 10D could give me in terms of quality, and I comfortably print on A3+ paper with minimal interpolation.  Seeing as the 20D is now discounted by about 200$ at major retailers, I think it is a good buy.  What can Canon improve in the 20D's upgrade I ask? More pixels? 6 and 8 mpixels are just fine thank you.  Faster? I have NEVER taken pictures at 5fps (except to hear how fast the camera clicks).
A bigger viewfinder however WOULD be welcome indeed. Better build? Well.. it's reasonably robust already. What is missing? Dunno.. So I would go with the 20D now and start taking photos faster than with your 10D..  When the 20DMkII comes out it will be a little better, but not much more than the current version (I think.. but then who am I to say what Canon does or doesn't do).
One negative point... My 10D had absolutely NO dust problem.. I never cleaned it in the year I owned it.  My 20D on the other had attracts LOTS of dust.  I have oened it less than 6 months an has had it's second sensor clean. Not a lot of cleaning mind you.. just thought you'd like to know though.
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

jcarlin

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 09:25:17 pm »

If indeed you can sell your 10D for > $1200 in Mexico, by all means do it.  You can buy a 20D for $1,130 on Adorama (I'm sure others have this price also).  You'll get a better camera and pocket some cash.

Russ Good

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 01:37:11 am »

Be patient.  A friend in the retail sales business tells me that Canon plans on
the replacement for the 20D being available in just a few months.

digidon

sealing 10D buying 20D
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 09:12:34 pm »

Hi David,
I bought a 20D last Fall with the 18-55 kit lens and a used 75-300 EF lens($70).  I can recommend the 20D for the way it's built, speed of response, 9-point or spot focusing, the ASA3200( I use that feature often for low light candids, etc.  I invested in Photoshop CS2( and Noise Ninja plug-in) which allows photomerging to get 30-60meg raw files, producing results equal to a 20+ meg camera.  The HDR( high dynamic range) feature allows merging several differently exposed images to produce 32 bit images with 12-14 F stop dynamic range.  In other words I put my money in the body and the software to get capability beyond my expectations.
In fact, you might explore these enhancing software features with your 10D before selling it.  With PSCS2 Photomerge you should be able to get pinpoint sharp 24-30" prints.
Both of these features are covered on this web site.
Good Luck,
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up