Author Topic: book  (Read 3117 times)

lagado

book
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:42:05 am »

Hello,

I am looking for a publication that you might consider to be the bible
of Black and white digital ink-jet printing. I am specifically
interested in techniques to control tonal separation along the
reproduction curve with black only, 3K, and full colour B&W printing.
It would be a plus if the book in question covered targeting techniques
which use numbers to densities directly as well as techniques which try
to correlate monitor display to proofs.

Thank you

lagado

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
book
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:23:36 am »

Have you seen "Mastering Digital Black and White" by Amadou Diallo? Good reviews. I'm planning to get it.

Kumar
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:23:54 am by Kumar »

David White

• http://
book
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:15:26 pm »

As suggested, get Amadou Diallo's new book.  I just got my copy a couple of days ago and it appears that it will answer most of your questions.
David White

lagado

book
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:30:48 pm »

Thank you for your responses , In fact I have heard of this book, since I  began inquiring about a reference for B&W printing it’s the only book I have heard about. I would have liked to have had a larger sampling before choosing,  but maybe this is the only book  of quality that exists in this area.

Thanks

Geoff Wittig

book
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:34:02 pm »

I second all of the above recommendations; Amadou Diallo's book is excellent, with very good detail on the subject of soft-proofing of black & white images. He discusses use of Quadtone RIP to direct soft proofing and specific tonal ranges with custom curves. There are a couple of earlier books out there on the subject of digital B&W, but they're very basic consumer-level books and lack the kind of information you're looking for.

Alistair

book
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:05:51 pm »

I have Amadou Diallo's book and certainly endorse the recommendations already voiced. Another text I find helpful is Bill Kennedy's "The Photographers Guide to the Digital Darkroom".
Alistair

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
book
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:47:35 am »

I have also bought Amadou's book. It looks very comprehensive. But don't neglect John Paul Caponigro's Adobe Photoshop MasterClass. It has much on B&W. Unfortunately the more comprehensive Second Edition is out of print and Peachpit Press is too arrogant to even enter into communication about this problem, but the first edition is widely available on the second-hand market and contains a lot of really good stuff. As well, if you join his website (free and easy), you have access to many very good downloads covering alot of relevant topics.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rdonson

book
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 09:39:21 am »

Thank you for your responses , In fact I have heard of this book, since I  began inquiring about a reference for B&W printing it’s the only book I have heard about. I would have liked to have had a larger sampling before choosing,  but maybe this is the only book  of quality that exists in this area.

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have Amadou's book and I'm still reading it so I can't comment yet on how thoroughly it covers the topics you're interested in.  Perhaps you could check out the companion [a href=\"http://www.masteringdigitalbwbook.com/]website[/url] that he's created for the book.

For me Amadou's book is the perfect follow on to Harald Johnson's "Mastering Digital Printing - Second Edition".
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up