Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traveling overseas with medium format  (Read 3449 times)

Aboud

• http://www.abouddweck.com
Traveling overseas with medium format
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:49:41 am »

Hi Gang - I am taking a trip to Scotland at the end of June and my gear will include a Contax 645 with a digital back, three lenses, miscellanous charger and batteries, a spare body and possibly a Canon 5D with 35 1.4 in case everything else goes south on the trip.  I see discussion on the Think Tag rollers and the Tenba shoot-out back packs. To my understanding - both are better for transport than working in the field.  The question is are these the best choices to transport this gear or do you all have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:06:45 am »

For what it is worth, I typically use a inobtrusive small day pack to carry my Mamiya ZD with a few extra lenses as carry on luggage.

Regards,
Bernard

Aboud

• http://www.abouddweck.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:22:27 am »

For what it is worth, I typically use a inobtrusive small day pack to carry my Mamiya ZD with a few extra lenses as carry on luggage.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118510\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Bernard. I should have mentioned, I really can't use shoulder bags. I have a Lowe-Pro stealth, but the weight on my shoulder (mostly left) is painful. For actually shooting I am going to use a Kinesis belt with a harness. Chances are I will move my clothing in a roller case. I think two weeks worth of clothing is going to weigh a lot more than my gear.

Which day pack do you use with your ZD?

Thanks

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:35:38 am »

Hi Bernard. I should have mentioned, I really can't use shoulder bags. I have a Lowe-Pro stealth, but the weight on my shoulder (mostly left) is painful. For actually shooting I am going to use a Kinesis belt with a harness. Chances are I will move my clothing in a roller case. I think two weeks worth of clothing is going to weigh a lot more than my gear.

Which day pack do you use with your ZD?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That depends on the kind of trip I am up to.

- When I am backpacking without a base camp, I use a super light (200 gr.) Millet foldable bag to carry my valuable items on the plane. there is no waist belt though, so it can feel heavy on the shoulders. Besides Millet, I believe that at least The North Face sell similar light foldable bags,
- When I am shooting around a given area (and weight is less of an issue) with day trips only, I use an Osprey day pack.

Either way, these are just coming on top of a large backpack. I personnally like Osprey products for various reasons, but other brands do nice stuff too.

Regards,
Bernard

RicAgu

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:46:47 am »

I did a trip to Ireland in 2000 for 45 days before Digital.  I took a Contax 645 kit and some Pentax 67 gear with the Pentax 67 to Contax 645 lens converter.  Double bodies of everything, polaroids, film backs, etc..

It all went in a LowePro Roller.  I have since switched to ThinkTank which by far are the best rollers around.

I took a shoulder bag to cary the things when I was away from the car.  The great thing about the UK is that you have the ability to have a car and leave things in the boot i.e trunk.  I bought a chain harness that would wrap around the bag with a lock and lock it to metal bar in the trunk.  Lightware and Lowepro made it, not sure if they still do.  A good pair of bolt cutters would take it off, but for the guy just walking up no way.

Also, all the B&B's I stayed at were amazing as far as watching gear for me.  It was like you were staying in a friends house.

If you will have access to a car make sure you rent one with a proper trunk not a hatchback.  Out of site out of mind.  For day to day traveling the roller is great.  Just carry an empty shoulder or waste bag and take gear as you need it.

Have a great time!

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 12:53:36 pm »

I did a trip to Ireland in 2000 for 45 days before Digital.  I took a Contax 645 kit and some Pentax 67 gear with the Pentax 67 to Contax 645 lens converter.  Double bodies of everything, polaroids, film backs, etc..

It all went in a LowePro Roller.  I have since switched to ThinkTank which by far are the best rollers around.

I took a shoulder bag to cary the things when I was away from the car.  The great thing about the UK is that you have the ability to have a car and leave things in the boot i.e trunk.  I bought a chain harness that would wrap around the bag with a lock and lock it to metal bar in the trunk.  Lightware and Lowepro made it, not sure if they still do.  A good pair of bolt cutters would take it off, but for the guy just walking up no way.

Also, all the B&B's I stayed at were amazing as far as watching gear for me.  It was like you were staying in a friends house.

If you will have access to a car make sure you rent one with a proper trunk not a hatchback.  Out of site out of mind.  For day to day traveling the roller is great.  Just carry an empty shoulder or waste bag and take gear as you need it.

Have a great time!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I usually use a Pelican 1510 for a Contax 645+P45, few extra P45 battery, then 35/3.5, 45-90/4.5, 80/2, 120/4, and 350/4. It is airline cabinet size. I will also have a Lowepro AW back pack but use for clothes and accessories so when I go to a location, I can decide which leses to use and put them in the backpack so it is more portable and leave the Pelican in car or hotel with lenses not to be used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up