Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos with recognizable brand/product names  (Read 5382 times)

steelbird

Photos with recognizable brand/product names
« on: May 12, 2007, 05:18:34 pm »

Looking for some input/advice, etc-

I love photographing vintage cars.  They're one of my favorite subjects, and I've been shooting them for my own personal enjoyment.  My photo income comes from an archaeological research project that I'm involved with, so at present I've done nothing with these pix other than display them at home or give copies to friends/relatives.
    Lately, I've been wondering if I could profit in some way from them - I know the market for these kinds of images would be small at best, but nevertheless, a potential niche for myself.  However, these images often have the manufacturer names, product names and logos in them.  I've attached some pix here to look at, so you can see what I'm talking about.  
    So, the question is, can I sell these at outlets like vintage car shows or on the internet?  Or are there legalities I would be violating in doing so?  I know advertising is out, but what about personal sales?  
    BTW, critiques are welcome - feel free to do so.

Matt

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:16:04 pm »

Selling these as art prints should not get you into any trouble.
"The real voyage of discove

steelbird

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:07:03 am »

Selling these as art prints should not get you into any trouble.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your input - thought that might be the case; I just wanted to get a second opinion.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:16:27 pm »

Without any legal basis for my comment, my thoughts would be that if you were somehow portraying their products in a derogatory fashion AND your work became popular enough to get them to notice you, then you might have a problem.

OTOH, FedEx made a small, independent coffee bar called, 'Federal Expresso' change their name...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

steelbird

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 10:12:59 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl,May 14 2007, 07:16 PM
Without any legal basis for my comment, my thoughts would be that if you were somehow portraying their products in a derogatory fashion AND your work became popular enough to get them to notice you, then you might have a problem.

OTOH, FedEx made a small, independent coffee bar called, 'Federal Expresso' change their name...

Well, I suppose I could always plead ignorance.....at least the stuff I shoot isn't derogatory.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:56:50 am »

Art prints should be OK, artwork is protected by the first amendment. Any type of commercial/advertising use would be a big no-no. Also, mass-produced products such as posters, calendars, t-shirts, etc could get you into trouble.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:57:12 am by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up