Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Antarctic shots  (Read 13968 times)

howiesmith

Some Antarctic shots
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 05:07:07 pm »

Mat, thanks for the reply and bio.  I am let's say, older than you are and not nearly as well travelled.  If it is in the US, I have probably been there, but outside, very little experience.

I give my advice for free and have always felt that on those terms, anyone can take it all, or part of it or throw it all out and break even.  I really don't care.  I have been called arogant and worse, and I probably am.  But for free, no one can claim they have ever been cheated.  If I offer an opinion of an image, it is never intended to offend, but sometimes does.  I gave up being offended after several of my jewels were tossed, literally, in the trasj can.  No room for ego when trying to learn.

I take photos much the same way I think you described.  I look around to see if there is anything I like.  Then shoot.  Not much if anything original and no "story" to tell.  Just images I like.  I do try to improve my photos by study and I do believe it is helping.  My wife on the otherhand was a photo editor and photographer for many years.  She is very very good.  I have shot for her a few times.  She junks most and takes a few.  I really look at what she takes and why.  Some are just wallpaper for a publication, but once in a while I surprise myself and make the cover.  Well, a couple times anyway, but she has published several images inside with articles.

I have no desire to be a professional photographer but see no reason not to be good enough.  All pros aren't that good.  They just do it for their pay.  To be an ameteur only takes steadfastly refusing to take money.  

Good luck in your work.  HSS
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:08:34 pm by howiesmith »

Chris_T

Some Antarctic shots
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 08:16:09 am »

Comments on the first two images in your first post. The second image, even with its highlight overexposed, is by far the most dramatic one. Cropping off half of the dark sky will place the highlight part off center, and create a pano view. But this kind of composition is best done IN THE VIEW FINDER.

The first image has terrific foreground, but nothing interesting in the background. The second image is just the opposite: great background but no foreground. Imaging if you combine the two: with the prominent icebergs in the foreground and the dramatic mountains and sky in the background (and crop off half of it). That would make a heck of a shot. For now, try roughly merging the two in Photoshop to get an idea of what to look for the next time you are in a similar situation. For this kind of shot, it is critical to carefully place the focus point and get a wide dof to maintain sharpness from the foreground all the way through the background.

Here's my comments on an example that is done well. If the mentioned foreground trees were NOT present, the image would look like it wants to tip over. By comparison, the other image without any foreground is far less interesting.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=16213

Antarctic Mat

Some Antarctic shots
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 09:01:33 am »

Thanks for your reply Howie and thanks for the advice you have given, much appreciated, it's good to be told an opinion, good or bad, some will want to learn from it, some will want take offense, just the way it goes I suppose!

Hi Chris, thanks for your comments too, I understand exactly what you say, especially about constructing the image in the view finder. I have taken some shots that, because I was there and overwhelmed with the whole experience, only needed to be simple for me to get a lot from them, others though would just look at the image and not really get what I was trying to capture, got to learn how to make the most of it.

I have added a couple more shots, 1st I took a few weeks back, again a full moon and also the great colours in the sky but with much better contrast and also one of the base buildings in the foreground, I'm hoping that this will come across better as it should be a slightly more unique take on a common image, i.e the moon.

This 2nd one is a sunrise with a satelite dome and some bits in the foreground. I can't make up my mind on whether I like it or not, I like the colours in the sky but is the foreground confusing it?

As before, comments and tips much appreciated.
Cheers and have a good weekend.
Mat.

allan67

• http://
Some Antarctic shots
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 04:42:46 pm »

Hello Mat,
I've enjoyed your images a lot, but the last two you've posted seem to be in the wrong colour space for WEB. You've been working on them in ProPhoto and posted them as is. So the colours are all wrong! You need to convert them to sRGB before posting to any WEB site, otherwise we won't be seeing the image as you have intended.
This is especially visible for the "Sunrise with space dome" image. It's too dark, but when opened in PS wiht correct colour profile applied it looks much better. I still would have opened foreground shadows a bit more. There are pink highlights from rising sun that illuminate snow in a very nice way, but they are barely visible now (even with correct colour profile applied).

Allan
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:45:15 pm by allan67 »

Antarctic Mat

Some Antarctic shots
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 07:36:19 am »

Hello Mat,
I've enjoyed your images a lot, but the last two you've posted seem to be in the wrong colour space for WEB. You've been working on them in ProPhoto and posted them as is. So the colours are all wrong! You need to convert them to sRGB before posting to any WEB site, otherwise we won't be seeing the image as you have intended.
This is especially visible for the "Sunrise with space dome" image. It's too dark, but when opened in PS wiht correct colour profile applied it looks much better. I still would have opened foreground shadows a bit more. There are pink highlights from rising sun that illuminate snow in a very nice way, but they are barely visible now (even with correct colour profile applied).

Allan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cheers for that Alan, I'll have a go at changing them! I didn't know I had to change things for the web, will re-post as soon as I can.
Thanks!
Mat.

Antarctic Mat

Some Antarctic shots
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 08:08:43 am »

Blimey, how thick am I!
I had no idea that different colour spaces where needed for the web, I have always just thought that my monitor was rubbish and a change occured when uploading anyway. I have loads of work to do now to change everything!

Ok, pics attached again.

I see what you mean with the second pic Allan, there is detail there just dark, will have a look at changing it.
Thanks for the tips!
Mat
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up