Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which spot meter?  (Read 3314 times)

X-Re

Which spot meter?
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:54:15 pm »

In addition to the digital gear, I have some film gear that I use, and I'm in need of a spot meter. I've currently got a Gossen Luna Pro F, which does fine for incident metering - I'd like to not have to carry around two meters, though, so a combined unit would probably be preferred.

A modern meter like the Sekonic L-558DR would certainly do the trick - they're not exactly cheap. They do have some nice features for use w/ the digital cameras, as well, though. I'm having a hard time finding comparisons of the new stuff to older Sekonics like the L508, L608, etc (which can be found for quite a bit less on eBay and such).

Any thoughts from this group of folks?? (besides "Film?? What's that???"  ).
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

Sheldon N

Which spot meter?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:28:40 pm »

I love my Sekonic L-558. I don't think I'd need the "R" or "DR" models of the 558, since it's already full featured enough. I bought mine on Ebay from one of the reputable Hong Kong sellers, cost about $385 shipped. It was well worth it, especially since you can sell off all your other meters and just live with this one.

I have a friend who has the L-508, which is a little cheaper. I'd miss the digital readout in the viewfinder, though (which the 508 doesn't have). The 558 even has a handy feature where after you take multiple readings and the meter gives you an average exposure, you can then meter through the scene again with the meter button pressed down, and it will give you a live viewfinder readout of how many stops over or under the metered item is from your average exposure. Very cool.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Peter McLennan

Which spot meter?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:29:08 pm »

I used a Pentax Digital Spotmeter for over two decades.  It survived many falls, including one from a ladder on to concrete.  Cheap, simple, easy to read and very precise, I called it "The Truth Teller".  It never let me down.

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
Which spot meter?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:46:33 pm »

I used a Pentax Digital Spotmeter for over two decades.  It survived many falls, including one from a ladder on to concrete.  Cheap, simple, easy to read and very precise, I called it "The Truth Teller".  It never let me down.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I have the Pentx also, I'll second your vote.

Kevin.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Which spot meter?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:04:58 pm »

Yes I have the Pentx also, I'll second your vote.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me two, Pentaxes for 25 years.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:06:00 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up