Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: painterly or smearing effect on 1DsMkIII ?  (Read 3429 times)

Marsupilami

painterly or smearing effect on 1DsMkIII ?
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:42:45 am »

Hello !

Just read through the Mk III impressions of Michael. Certainly a good camera. As a owner of the 1D MKII I think this is a impressive feature list and many improvements which make this camera more useable.
What I struggle with is the often smearing of fine detail (now with my 5D), specially with landscape shots. In some situations it got so bad, that the picture were almost unusable. I myself see this partly as an digital thing which I have to live with. But as I got a phone call from the "boss" of my stock agency a week ago who also said that this is sometimes a drawback for picture sales (curse the art directors for viewing pictures at 100 % - but this is a fact of live), I started to rethink my approach not to think so much about this digital look of the files.
If you look at the crop in Michaels article (cody-detail.jpg), I think you will know what I mean (ok thats at 1250 ISO) but please take a look at this example on my website:

http://www.christianhandl.com/Unterebene1/smearing.htm

to get an impression what can happen when imperfect light, heavy image manipulation (DXO 4.1) and the Canon 5D with the 24-70 come together (picture was made mirror prerealease, carbon tripod, 100iso, ...)

So do I have a faulty camera, wrong workflow (I doubt that, as I used a lot of different raw converters and all showed this smearing with the "right" file) or anything else ?

This is in no way a bashing of Canon, but I do have problems with a lot of files and want to improve them, if possible without buying a MFDB.

Christian

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:45:18 am »

hi,

I would think this is a result of the combination of:
canon camera with aa filter
not very sharp lens,
no suitable raw-converter
with to much noise reduction

to avoid this, use:
a aa-filter-less camera (like sigmas or medium format camera)
together with a sharp lens and a converter like raw-developper.

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:55:48 am »

Will post something about it later the day.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

X-Re

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:11:31 am »

Reminds me of conversions in ACR with my 10D seen at 100%... I mentioned this in another thread, but... I wonder if the converter Michael used is not yet optimized for the MkIII, and if so, if that effect might be reduced or mostly eliminated in a version of the converter that "officially" supports the camera...???
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

zlatko-b

• http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:29:50 am »

I'm not sure that "heavy image manipulation" can be blamed on digital cameras.  Heavy image manipulation results in smearing/loss of detail.  So the logical question is how does the same image look without any image manipulation.  Based on the settings (f/10, iso 100, tripod, etc.), this image should be very sharp and unsmeared.  The first thing I would try is taking DXO out of the process, and just doing a straight conversion (no adjustments) with ACR or DPP.  If it still looks bad after an unmanipulated conversion, then there may be a defect with the lens or camera (possibly something that can be repaired).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:37:28 am by zlatko-b »

Marsupilami

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:22:33 am »

I'm not sure that "heavy image manipulation" can be blamed on digital cameras.  Heavy image manipulation results in smearing/loss of detail.  So the logical question is how does the same image look without any image manipulation.  Based on the settings (f/10, iso 100, tripod, etc.), this image should be very sharp and unsmeared.  The first thing I would try is taking DXO out of the process, and just doing a straight conversion (no adjustments) with ACR or DPP.  If it still looks bad after an unmanipulated conversion, then there may be a defect with the lens or camera (possibly something that can be repaired).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried Dpp, Silky Pix and ACR, but the file has the same smearing as with DXO, looks for me that I have to drive to CPS nearby in Vienna.

Christian

macgyver

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 01:22:50 pm »

Go look at the Rob Galbraith review of the camera.  The samples there (up to 6400) showed almost nothing like what we say in Michael's review.  I wondered about that too.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_pag...-8738-8908-8909
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:25:55 pm by macgyver »
Pages: [1]   Go Up