Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Digital camera  (Read 5816 times)

Muffin

Small Digital camera
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:15:54 pm »

Greetings! just signed up..

Uhm, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with finding a new camera (bet you've never heard that one before    ). I've tried searching and browsing the forum, but didnt find what i was looking for.

So, im looking for a small, digital camera, which i can carry around. its important that it isnt to big. i want to carry it in my pocked/attached to my belt or something. As everyone, i want a camera with decent quality, but the main criteria is that it should give decent landscape pictures. i dont care that much about how good it is at taking pictures inside the house etc etc. i rather want one i can take pictures outside with, and landscape in particualar. You ppl seem like an experienced lot  

I am completely new to cameras and taking pictures...

I know that a "bigger" camera will give better pictures, but i want a small one

Lets say pricerange doesnt matter for now, but something less than 900 US dollars would be neat  

Cheers  
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:17:15 pm by Muffin »

Peter McLennan

Small Digital camera
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:28:54 pm »

Lets say pricerange doesnt matter for now, but something less than 900 US dollars would be neat   

Cheers 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nine HUNDRED bucks?  If this is your first digicam, and small is high on your list, I'd go both small and cheap until you get your feet wet.  You can get an adequate small camera for less than $200, an excellent one for $400.  I just spent $99 for a Samsung S630 and it does just fine for a "carry everywhere" camera.

For what its worth, I sold a landscape print today from a 3 megapixel, five-year-old Nikon Coolpix 990.  The print sold for more than I paid for the little Samsung.

Muffin

Small Digital camera
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:41:40 am »

hehe i wasnt saying i was going to spend that much    

Just setting a upper limit (which is high, but if it actually are cameras in that price range, i might look at them)

and yes im completely new, and a starter camera is 100% ok, but if i am buying something, i rather pay some extra for some decent quality  

Peter McLennan

Small Digital camera
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:19:24 am »

hehe i wasnt saying i was going to spend that much   

Just setting a upper limit (which is high, but if it actually are cameras in that price range, i might look at them)

and yes im completely new, and a starter camera is 100% ok, but if i am buying something, i rather pay some extra for some decent quality 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's nothing wrong with the image quality of my el-cheapo Samsung.  Its only downfall is shutter lag.  Even that's tolerable for landscape work.  Once you get experience, you can make your own informed decisions about what "good" camera you want/need.

DonWeston

Small Digital camera
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:55:12 am »

There's nothing wrong with the image quality of my el-cheapo Samsung.  Its only downfall is shutter lag.  Even that's tolerable for landscape work.  Once you get experience, you can make your own informed decisions about what "good" camera you want/need.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Horses for courses, do you know how you will use this? Point and shoot cameras vary greatly in cost and quality. How big do you want to print your images? Doing family, travel, or sports? These things may matter or not. If just starting out and you do not know, buy xxxx brand name camera for $2-400 and see what you like or need. Odds are for that money you can buy a 6-7Mp, which may be all you need. Good for 5x7 or even an 8x10 print for most folk. What size body do you want? Mini mini, there are some really small ones today with same quality. My hands are too big for these, gave a CAsio  to one of my daughters, it was a Casio 10mp S1000, I think. She loves it but it was too tiny for me. IF you really want one of the best point and shoots, then either look at the Canon G7,  or similar Nikon or whatever, the G7, which is what I ended up with, do everything, not quite tiny but not huge compared to a DSLR, expect to pay $600ish, maybe less. You get 10Mp also, and ability to make bigger prints if need be. This is not for a shirt pocket, where the Casio was, but small enough for a coat pocket. Also if you are really serious about photography for the same $$ -900, you can get an entry level DSLR with zoom that will have better image quality and you can grow, but would only do this if you think you have future intentions, you gain in quality but sacrifice in size and weight. Even the G7is plenty camera  and just right when I don't want to carry my 5D or M8. If you are doing landscapes, then two things will matter, Mps and size to carry, also  IGNORE the digital zoom figures and just look at optical zoom range...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:11:51 am by DonWeston »

Muffin

Small Digital camera
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:58:13 pm »

thanks for the replies =)

i'll check some rewievs n stuff. might post some cameras ppl suggested to me  

Nollaigglas

Small Digital camera
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:38:22 am »

Interseting to read the comments on this page. I also wanted to buy a small digital today and looked at Sony and also a Luminex FZ50. They both felt like pieces of plastic with no wait in them whatsover. I also saw the Canon G7 and at least it has some weight in it. Thanks for the tips

Bobtrips

Small Digital camera
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 01:34:19 pm »

with no wait in them whatsover.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115690\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And that's a bad thing?  ;o)

Seriously, why would want a heavier camera?  Are you working under the assumption that extra weight means better pictures?  That extra weight might help you better steady the camera?  

Why not look at image quality and features?

(Personally, I'll take the lighter camera, everything else being equal.)

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
Small Digital camera
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 11:04:10 pm »

Greetings! just signed up..

Uhm, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with finding a new camera (bet you've never heard that one before    ). I've tried searching and browsing the forum, but didnt find what i was looking for.

So, im looking for a small, digital camera, which i can carry around. its important that it isnt to big. i want to carry it in my pocked/attached to my belt or something. As everyone, i want a camera with decent quality, but the main criteria is that it should give decent landscape pictures. i dont care that much about how good it is at taking pictures inside the house etc etc. i rather want one i can take pictures outside with, and landscape in particualar. You ppl seem like an experienced lot  

I am completely new to cameras and taking pictures...

I know that a "bigger" camera will give better pictures, but i want a small one

Cheers 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My personal choice is Fuji F31d but there are many good ones out there. Fuji works well in low light and has manual controls.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Small Digital camera
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 11:55:40 pm »

If you don't want a superzoom lens, probably your best bet will be the new Ricoh GX100. 24-72mm lens, manual mode, aperture priority, and RAW.

This is the type of camera that the big brands should be building.

PeterLange

Small Digital camera
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 05:41:09 am »

So, im looking for a small, digital camera, which i can carry around. its important that it isnt to big. i want to carry it in my pocked/attached to my belt or something.

For similar reason (business trips) I’ve recently bought a Canon Ixus 900 – and don’t regret the choice yet. As far as I understand (please don’t sue if I’m wrong) it shares the same processing pipe: sensor + digic III chip with the G7, while just the envelope i.e. body & lenses are different / smaller. By aid of PS on the notebook some decent prints were obtained; including landscapes. A kind of minimum minimum equipment for me….

Best regards, Peter
__
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd900.asp

The View

Small Digital camera
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 04:59:28 pm »

Ken Rockwell has a website that adresses many issues about photography versus equipment.

A very good article is "Your camera doesn't matter".

It sports a cheap Canon point and shoot, which can deliver good images.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

My personal favorite in small cameras is the Leica d-lux 3, which is the same as the Panasonic Lumix Lx-2.

Upside: small, great colors, full camera controls, 16:9 with a zoom range down to what would be 28mm in 35mm film cameras.

The downside: noise starts showing up at iso 200. Too many pixels for that small chip (10mp).

Cost: about 600$ for the Leica, 400 for the Panasonic.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Muffin

Small Digital camera
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 04:03:35 am »

For similar reason (business trips) I’ve recently bought a Canon Ixus 900 – and don’t regret the choice yet. As far as I understand (please don’t sue if I’m wrong) it shares the same processing pipe: sensor + digic III chip with the G7, while just the envelope i.e. body & lenses are different / smaller. By aid of PS on the notebook some decent prints were obtained; including landscapes. A kind of minimum minimum equipment for me….

Best regards, Peter
__
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd900.asp
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was actually looking at that camera.. or, rather the 800 modell. it has gotten very good reviews, and isnt that expensive  

@The view: Thanks for the reply =) im looking into it now!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Small Digital camera
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 09:55:10 am »

I have bought a Ricoh GX100 recently and have started to put together a small sample gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlangui...57600186496104/

Regards,
Bernard

PeterLange

Small Digital camera
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 12:36:34 pm »

I was actually looking at that camera.. or, rather the 800 modell. it has gotten very good reviews, and isnt that expensive 

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd900/page6.asp

Best regards, Peter

--

Muffin

Small Digital camera
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 02:23:49 pm »

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd900/page6.asp

Best regards, Peter

--
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

woa!  

thanks for that one!

Muffin

Small Digital camera
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 09:32:15 am »

I ended up with buying the Cannon Ixus 800 (sorry peter    )
after reading that review peter posted, i wanted the 900 more, but my mom heard about the 800 as well, and as the camera is a birthdaypresent to me from her, she went and bought the camera before i enlightened her about the 900 beeing slightly better.

anyhow, thanks for all helpfull replies  

cheers

Anton
Pages: [1]   Go Up