Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100-400 Rattles and Collar  (Read 2970 times)

Chris 38

100-400 Rattles and Collar
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:32:57 pm »

The 100-400 I dropped at the airshow came back from Canon.  One thing I noticed is that while carrying the lens in my hand, I can feel something clanking around in it.  When I engage the AF, this same thing goes clunk at first.  Is this from the IS system's floating elements?  I can't say it appears to have affected picture quality, which is once again damn good.  (I even put a Kenko macro extender on it, and can't believe what I'm shooting.)  Nevertheless, I'm concerned about the clink/clank inside; 'didn't notice this before at all.

Second, I found that on a monopod, this lens balances very poorly once you've stretched it out to 400.  Simple physics there.  So I tried taking the lens collar off and actually putting it around the barrel; the collar was a b---- to get off, and now something inside the collar that the screw fit into is rattling around, and I can't tighten the screw to get the collar back on!  

If you don't want to rely on the IS always, does another manufacturer make a better-balancing collar guismo for this lens?

- Chris

francois

100-400 Rattles and Collar
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:13:07 am »

The 100-400 I dropped at the airshow came back from Canon.  One thing I noticed is that while carrying the lens in my hand, I can feel something clanking around in it.  When I engage the AF, this same thing goes clunk at first.  Is this from the IS system's floating elements?  I can't say it appears to have affected picture quality, which is once again damn good.  (I even put a Kenko macro extender on it, and can't believe what I'm shooting.)  Nevertheless, I'm concerned about the clink/clank inside; 'didn't notice this before at all.

Second, I found that on a monopod, this lens balances very poorly once you've stretched it out to 400.  Simple physics there.  So I tried taking the lens collar off and actually putting it around the barrel; the collar was a b---- to get off, and now something inside the collar that the screw fit into is rattling around, and I can't tighten the screw to get the collar back on! 

If you don't want to rely on the IS always, does another manufacturer make a better-balancing collar guismo for this lens?

- Chris
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi,
Mine doesn't seem to rattle. If the locking ring is set to the smoothest position then a faint noise can be heard. But it's not very audible and would go unnoticed except in a very very quiet room. With an extender, there's more mecanical play between the lens/extender/body and some clunking.

I can't say anything about your lens collar. Did you tighten it too much and stripped the threads? See below for a technical description (with parts) of that lens collar.

The operating mode of the 100-400 (pump) is somewhat difficult to balance but you may want to read this [a href=\"http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html]RRS article[/url] on monopods. If you have a long lens plate (not a short one made for the 100-400) attached to your lens collar, you could slide it forward or backward in the clamp to find the best balance. Check out Wimberley website. The plates feature dual safety stops and are compatible with RSS lever clamps.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:10:57 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up