Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong printing from Lightroom  (Read 10822 times)

geoffmead

Wrong printing from Lightroom
« on: April 22, 2007, 10:27:56 am »

Michael, Jeff or anyone!

On the strength of your and Jeff Schewe's LR Tutorials, I have purchased Lightroom
The tutorial on the print module is a bit brief and doesn't specify exactly the settings

I really would like to print much of my stuff without going into PS, but I am still struggling to get Lightroom to print properly.

For example, I have just made a print from PS7, and it's great.
I then Iimported the file in its final (print) form to lightroom, where it looks, on screen, exactly as it did in PS7.
I have set my print settings the same as in PS7, i.e. same print profile, perceptual,(there is no choice of black point comp. on/off, but I use BPC off in PS), same presets (semigloss paper, best photo, no color adjustment), but still it prints much darker.

I am wondering if somehow I could be getting the printer/paper profile applied twice?

BTW I'm using a calibrated monitor, and a custom printer/inkset/paper profile on an iMac/Intel

Can you help please

Geoff
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 01:08:28 pm by geoffmead »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:24:57 pm »

What printer?

geoffmead

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:50:25 am »

What printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff

It's an Epson 2400 with Lyson inks.

Geoff (spelled the English way. My brother-in-law spells his like you. It's a great name however you spell it)

wayfarer

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:13:36 am »

Jeff

It's an Epson 2400 with Lyson inks.

Geoff (spelled the English way. My brother-in-law spells his like you. It's a great name however you spell it)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I posted this on 4/7/07.
I have an Intel Mac and a 2400 and it took me a while to get it setup. The first thing you need to do is download .icc profiles from Epson USA. In LR then go to Develop/ Print Settings and select COLOR Management. Select OFF(no adjustment). Next move to PRINT SETTINGS and select your paper. Under mode go to advanced and uncheck high speed and select Photo RPM for print quality. Do Not use the save button but go to Presets and select "Save As" with your paper name. My prints are good, but when they are not it's my fault.

I am 75 so sometimes my way is not logical but the above works for me.

geoffmead

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:14:43 pm »

Thanks for your note, Wayfarer.
I am unfortunately unable to follow your workflow. Perhaps you are on a beta version, I'm on the released version 1.0

1. I haven't downloaded any .icc profiles, I already have custom profiles for my printer/ink/paper.

2. I can't find any "Print Settings" in the Develop module.

3. I can set my paper but PhotoRPM is greyed out, presumably because I'm using Matte Black.

4. Having set my paper and print quality the only option is to "save" because I cannot add a preset while the "print setup" is still open

I'm sure the solution is in there somewhere, but now my printer driver has gone haywire! I've downloaded the latest driver from Epson, but the crucial "print settings" and "color management" options have disappeared!!  Woe is me!!    

I posted this on 4/7/07.
I have an Intel Mac and a 2400 and it took me a while to get it setup. The first thing you need to do is download .icc profiles from Epson USA. In LR then go to Develop/ Print Settings and select COLOR Management. Select OFF(no adjustment). Next move to PRINT SETTINGS and select your paper. Under mode go to advanced and uncheck high speed and select Photo RPM for print quality. Do Not use the save button but go to Presets and select "Save As" with your paper name. My prints are good, but when they are not it's my fault.

I am 75 so sometimes my way is not logical but the above works for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:54:40 pm »

I'm sure the solution is in there somewhere, but now my printer driver has gone haywire! I've downloaded the latest driver from Epson, but the crucial "print settings" and "color management" options have disappeared!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like you are getting the generic "CUPS" print driver instead of the actual R2400 Epson driver...

Delete the printer from Printer Setup Utility and disconnect the printer...
Quit Printer Setup Utility and then re-launch it plug in the printer...
Select Add from PSU...
Under the Printer Browser, click More Printers
If using USB, select Epson USB, if FireWire, select Epson Firewire click Add...
Back in PSU select the R2400 printer and click Utility...if it's properly installed you should be able to hit update and check your ink. You say you have matte K loaded, correct? Did you do a delete and add after switching from Photo K?

As long as the drivers are correctly installed, using the same profile you should get essentually the exact same output from Lightroom (using LR to manage color) and Photoshop.

geoffmead

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 06:19:04 am »

Thanks Jeff

Your advice cured the printer driver problem, but I still can't get a half-decent print from LR,

When I click on "print settings" the printer driver window comes up, allowing me to set the media type, print quality, and select "no color adjustment" which I then save.

When I click "print" the same print driver window appears, but the settings I saved are not there, but need to be set a second time.

This can't be right, surely!

Geoff

Quote from: Schewe,Apr 23 2007, 06:54 PM
Sounds like you are getting the generic "CUPS" print driver instead of the actual R2400 Epson driver...

Thierry_F

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:45:58 pm »

I have a similar issue. I print with a Canon S900, and use in PS CS2 the "let printer determine colors" choice. In the printer driver I choose the ICM box, meaning the driver is in control and everything goes well, whatever is the embedded profile of the photo, Adobe RGB or sRGB. But if the embedded profile or the software colorspace is ProPhoto, it is a disaster. All colors are greyish for portraits, people look very sick. With Lightroom the result is the same disaster as hereabove. It's seems the problem comes from the wide colorspace vs my printer.
And it is the same, if I export my photo in Adobe RGB or sRGB and try to print from Lighroom. LR printing module is cool but unusable. I'm going to end my 30 days trial, and I was nearly ready to purchase this software, but now I think I can't go further. Has anybody a clue about what to do, to print correctly with this software and this colorspace? Some people suggest I could purchase a custom printing profile for my S900, but I'm quite reluctant : Lightroom purpose is to make things easy for photografers, not to oblige them to do additional things!

seanmcfoto

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:26:33 pm »

When I click "print" the same print driver window appears, but the settings I saved are not there, but need to be set a second time.

This can't be right, surely!

Geoff

Geoff,
Make sure you are saving as 'Standard'. Then ignore any settings that come up the 2nd time. In fact, try printing with Alt/Opt clicking on the Print button. This will skip the driver appearing again.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

francois

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 06:02:05 am »

Geoff,
Make sure you are saving as 'Standard'. Then ignore any settings that come up the 2nd time. In fact, try printing with Alt/Opt clicking on the Print button. This will skip the driver appearing again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would add that you can check the actual settings used by the printer when you choose to display the summary menu item.
Francois

geoffmead

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 01:31:23 pm »

Geoff,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sean

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. I've done a contact sheet that looks good. I'll try a full A4 print when my next paper delivery arrives!

Geoff

JanKarlsson

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 04:11:13 pm »

Hi
I think I'm having the same problems. I bought and installed an Epson 2400, and tried to print via LR, and the prints look crap. I've followed your instructions all the way upp to the step

"If using USB, select Epson USB, if FireWire, select Epson Firewire click Add..."

I choose Epson USB, but nothing happens, I can't add it.
Anyone got any idea what to do?

Delete the printer from Printer Setup Utility and disconnect the printer...
Quit Printer Setup Utility and then re-launch it plug in the printer...
Select Add from PSU...
Under the Printer Browser, click More Printers
If using USB, select Epson USB, if FireWire, select Epson Firewire click Add...
Back in PSU select the R2400 printer and click Utility...if it's properly installed you should be able to hit update and check your ink. You say you have matte K loaded, correct? Did you do a delete and add after switching from Photo K?

As long as the drivers are correctly installed, using the same profile you should get essentually the exact same output from Lightroom (using LR to manage color) and Photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113840\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up