Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problem printing on hp indigo 5000, please help  (Read 5491 times)

hanhan

• http://www.tanhaihan.com
problem printing on hp indigo 5000, please help
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:54:57 am »

hello everyone,

I am a photographer, I do excludsive books, as in perfect bind hard cover books that you can pull off the shelf at borders or kinokuniya, I used to use XEROX printers, epson injet, but recently have moved on to the ultimate hp indigo 5000.

I am using a calibrated (by eyeone) iMac G5, design on CS2 indesign (color correction off), editing photos on photoshop with RGB profile - Adobe1998 and desaturate color on monitor 15% (to simulate the print) , (I do not have a paper ICC profile nor a HP indigo 5000 profile) I export everything using indesign to a pdf file, my printer use a PC Windows( I suppose it is a standard indigo machine) to rip and print on Maple Snow 150 g/sm uncoated paper and Munken Pure 150 g/sm uncoated paper, no color corrections is made.

my results, color is very close to what I see on my monitor, only the contrast, and desity is about 2 stops lower then my monitor.

current solution, to push up the contrast and curves and looks totally over expose on my monitor. but prints turns out just alright, saturated, contrast, correctly exposed.

I have done some reading on color management and soft proofing using "apple Y", do I need to get a Eye-One Proof (very expensive) to profile the prints, use it for simulations on my mac and ask my printer to use them on their machine?

thank you for answering in advance!

han
han

thomasmoran

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:54:58 am »

Han, isn't the Indago a $400,000 digital press that should come with some sort of profiling device? I run a Kodak Nexpress 2100 and it came with a color profiling solution. I'm just curious as to why HP would not include a profile solution with that machine. On a side note how many colors are you using in your 5000?

Thomas

hello everyone,

I am a photographer, I do excludsive books, as in perfect bind hard cover books that you can pull off the shelf at borders or kinokuniya, I used to use XEROX printers, epson injet, but recently have moved on to the ultimate hp indigo 5000.

I am using a calibrated (by eyeone) iMac G5, design on CS2 indesign (color correction off), editing photos on photoshop with RGB profile - Adobe1998 and desaturate color on monitor 15% (to simulate the print) , (I do not have a paper ICC profile nor a HP indigo 5000 profile) I export everything using indesign to a pdf file, my printer use a PC Windows( I suppose it is a standard indigo machine) to rip and print on Maple Snow 150 g/sm uncoated paper and Munken Pure 150 g/sm uncoated paper, no color corrections is made.

my results, color is very close to what I see on my monitor, only the contrast, and desity is about 2 stops lower then my monitor.

current solution, to push up the contrast and curves and looks totally over expose on my monitor. but prints turns out just alright, saturated, contrast, correctly exposed.

I have done some reading on color management and soft proofing using "apple Y", do I need to get a Eye-One Proof (very expensive) to profile the prints, use it for simulations on my mac and ask my printer to use them on their machine?

thank you for answering in advance!

han
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hanhan

• http://www.tanhaihan.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:53:40 am »

Hello Thomas, I am using four colors on my printer's indigo 5000, ( not mine, the machine support two other special color and a matt UV vanish ). I am not sure of wherethe the machine has a profiling device.

han

Han, isn't the Indago a $400,000 digital press that should come with some sort of profiling device? I run a Kodak Nexpress 2100 and it came with a color profiling solution. I'm just curious as to why HP would not include a profile solution with that machine. On a side note how many colors are you using in your 5000?

Thomas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
han

Scratch

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:20:44 am »

You might want to go into your job editor on the press and change the LUT (look up table) from the default _50 to _75.

Those settings are for approximating dot gain (since an Indigo has zero dot gain) to match conventional offset press dot gain. _75 on the Indigo is closer to the standard 20% dot gain.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up