Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loss of Chapters, etc.  (Read 4252 times)

Del

Loss of Chapters, etc.
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:27:58 am »

I had intended to quietly but unwillingly go with the flow, but now that I see that we are losing "chapters" as a cost of progress, I must express my dissapointment.  As apparently one of the minority, I'm disappointed in the transition from DVD, and equally disappointed at the loss of chapters, which is how I watch and rewatch the product.  Pretty easy to rationalize, but not good for this consumer.  Like so many things in this day and age, decisions which are apparently made for financial reasons are "sold" to consumers as progress.  This is a good but unfortunate example. Sure I'll continue to purchase it, but from my perspective it will be an inferior product to that which it replaces.
Del

jani

• Øyet
Loss of Chapters, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:29:08 pm »

I had intended to quietly but unwillingly go with the flow, but now that I see that we are losing "chapters" as a cost of progress, I must express my dissapointment.  As apparently one of the minority, I'm disappointed in the transition from DVD, and equally disappointed at the loss of chapters, which is how I watch and rewatch the product.  Pretty easy to rationalize, but not good for this consumer.  Like so many things in this day and age, decisions which are apparently made for financial reasons are "sold" to consumers as progress.  This is a good but unfortunate example. Sure I'll continue to purchase it, but from my perspective it will be an inferior product to that which it replaces.
While I haven't attempted to make the transition, I think I can see where you're coming from.

One of the attractions of the LLVJ for me has been to select which chapters (or sections, or whatever) I want to see when.

The chapter selection in the DVD version is decent, and makes it at least fairly easy to make these selections.

As far as I know, this can't be accomodated easily with the MPEG-4 standard without providing different files for download.

If the problem is that it's undesirable to have people download multiple segments separately, may I suggest using a standard archive format, such as ZIP or tar? (Both can be used without attempting to recompress compressed files.)
Jan

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Loss of Chapters, etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:44:52 pm »

If the problem is that it's undesirable to have people download multiple segments separately, may I suggest using a standard archive format, such as ZIP or tar? (Both can be used without attempting to recompress compressed files.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second zipping files without compression. Cutting the journal into files by chapters is a Good Thing, and having the option of downloading separate files or them all in a zip should satisfy almost all people with very little effort from Mr Reichmann's - and whoever else is involved - part.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Loss of Chapters, etc.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:26:06 pm »

While the suggestion of making multiple video files by chapter of a segment sounds reasonable, in practice it would not work well.

Chapter markers within a contiguous sequence only rarely sit at a comfortable point that would respect a full stop, change of files and a restart. Very often dialogue, music and even a long video scene may span a chapter marker. As I review the Bangladesh travel segment for instance, I note that there are two to four chapter markers in each file; chopping that 1 hour up into six to eight minute segments for the purpose of delineating a chapter is not something most viewers would appreciate! In fact if I were re-posting LLVJ-15, I would make that one hour one full file instead of three.

An either/or choice of single or multiple files for download is not one available in our shopping cart's download function. The decision of what specific files make up a product has to be defined when that product is posted and cannot be changed without 'upsetting the whole cart'

Chris S

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Loss of Chapters, etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 04:08:46 pm »

I actually wonder why the concept of an "Issue" still needs to hold, moving to downloads. Just make segments available for download when they're ready. No more Volumes, no more Issues. No more long, long gaps between gratification.

In other words, a subscription PodCast.
--
David Mantripp

jani

• Øyet
Loss of Chapters, etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:41:50 pm »

While the suggestion of making multiple video files by chapter of a segment sounds reasonable, in practice it would not work well.

Chapter markers within a contiguous sequence only rarely sit at a comfortable point that would respect a full stop, change of files and a restart. Very often dialogue, music and even a long video scene may span a chapter marker. As I review the Bangladesh travel segment for instance, I note that there are two to four chapter markers in each file; chopping that 1 hour up into six to eight minute segments for the purpose of delineating a chapter is not something most viewers would appreciate! In fact if I were re-posting LLVJ-15, I would make that one hour one full file instead of three.

An either/or choice of single or multiple files for download is not one available in our shopping cart's download function. The decision of what specific files make up a product has to be defined when that product is posted and cannot be changed without 'upsetting the whole cart'
I think the above explains a mental disconnect I must have had.

I understood it "chapters" to equal what you call "segments", and that in LLVJ 16, there wouldn't be one file per interview etc.

So please excuse my extremely poor use of terminology.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up