Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: minolta a2  (Read 2302 times)

Gary_Berg

minolta a2
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:32:39 pm »

I read a review (actually several) of the Minolta A2, and the only gripe anyone seems to have is noise in the image, particularly at ISO settings above 100. My question: does it help to use a lower resolution setting?
I think it helps a little bit, but I suspect taking the image at 5Mp and downsizing with good software (PS CS, LE, Qimage, etc) might get more from the image. CF storage is awfully cheap these days.

The A2 images do respond fairly well to NR tools. ISO 200 is usable with them, ISO 400 is probably still good to at least 5x7.

Remember that when you view an image at 100% on your screen you are looking at the equivalent of a 16x20 or so image. Printing the image at a more normal size, 8x10 or 11x14, will give better results than you might think.

Download some sample A2 images and try printing them yourself. DPReview and Imaging Resource have full size samples, I think.

It's not a DSLR, but the A2 can produce extremely good images. Combined with a tool like NI or NN, the results are excellent.

raycarter

minolta a2
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 09:10:45 pm »

I read a review (actually several) of the Minolta A2, and the only gripe anyone seems to have is noise in the image, particularly at ISO settings above 100. My question: does it help to use a lower resolution setting? The second setting is about 5MP - that should be enough for my needs if it helps reduce noise significantly. I'm interested in this camera as one of only two EVF models with sufficient resolution in the viewfinder - and the Kodak 7590 does not have enough other features, so - - -

raycarter

minolta a2
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 11:08:56 am »

That sounds very possible. I'll have to check what noise reduction facilities I would have access to. I do not currently have a computer that will boot any MS operating system - I've gone totally Linux because of security and stability issues, and my win98/linux dual boot system will no longer boot win98. Besides, of course, I don't have any MS commercial software. The GIMP and Panotools have taken care of my needs so far.

Thanks for the note.
Pages: [1]   Go Up