Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 paper source setting  (Read 7552 times)

Gupfold

Epson 3800 paper source setting
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:16:06 pm »

Hi. has any used Hahnemuhle Photorag bright white 310 with a 3800.

I would like to use the Watercolour RW paper setting or the velvet fine art. But when I load the paper from the front it gives me an incorrect paper source setting.

I tried to load the paper from the rear but I think it wont load cause its too thick.

What settings should you use for H Photorag bright white and H Fine Art pearl?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 05:50:24 pm »

Hi Gupfold,

When you select one of those two Media Types (Watercolor Paper - Radiant White, or Velvet Fine Art), the driver will automatically select the Rear Feed if the currently selected feed in the Auto Sheet Feed.

if you want to feed from the front, you have to go to the Paper settings and change the feed selection to Front Feed

However, you shouldn't have trouble feeding either HPR 310 or HFAP thru the rear feed.

But, the rear feed is a bit tricky to use. You have to put constant pressure (not lots of pressure, but consistent pressure) on the top of the paper as you slide it into the rear feed until the printer grabs it and pulls it in.

It took me a few tries at first when I first got my 3800, but after a few tries I got the hang of it and I haven't had a misfeed since.

Eric
Eric Chan

picnic

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 07:19:04 pm »

Hi Gupfold,

When you select one of those two Media Types (Watercolor Paper - Radiant White, or Velvet Fine Art), the driver will automatically select the Rear Feed if the currently selected feed in the Auto Sheet Feed.

if you want to feed from the front, you have to go to the Paper settings and change the feed selection to Front Feed

However, you shouldn't have trouble feeding either HPR 310 or HFAP thru the rear feed.

But, the rear feed is a bit tricky to use. You have to put constant pressure (not lots of pressure, but consistent pressure) on the top of the paper as you slide it into the rear feed until the printer grabs it and pulls it in.

It took me a few tries at first when I first got my 3800, but after a few tries I got the hang of it and I haven't had a misfeed since.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree---once you get the hang of it there is really no problem using the rear feeder.  

Seems to me that Hahnemuhle recommended a media type---I could be wrong but read anything that came with the profile.  Same if you have a custom profile made.

Diane

Gupfold

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:17:12 am »

Thanks Eric and Diane

I am up and printing, figured out the front feed and rear. I downloaded Hahnemuhle profile for HPbright white and gave it a try using the velvet fine paper setting and perceptual rendering with and without BP compensation ticked and the results were a bit washed out. I then tried with R Colormetric without BP and the results are better. With the 3800 profiles they dont have any usage instructions? so I checked the 4800 handling instructions and tried that but wasnt any good.

Unless I can find a better way or better profiles I might have to get profiles made.

Thanks
Guy

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47:04 am »

Hi Guy,

When you use Relative Colorimetric, in almost all cases you should enable Black Point Compensation. Give this a try ...

Eric
Eric Chan

Gupfold

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 03:53:42 pm »

When you use Relative Colorimetric, in almost all cases you should enable Black Point Compensation
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Eric, I always have in the past with my 2100 but was experimenting cause I got such bad results with The hahnemuhle handling instructions. I have only just got the printer so need to experiment alot more. Normally with a matte paper like Photorag you would expect to use Perceptual rendering but as I said this gave poor results.

I think that in the end Custom profiles are best but this kind of experimenting and chatting does get you to know the printer better. I had really excellent profiles from Giorgio Trucco  for my 2100 so will probably ask him again.

Guy
Pages: [1]   Go Up