Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Release date for Canon 1D Mark III?  (Read 9526 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Release date for Canon 1D Mark III?
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:11:00 am »

Has anyone heard/seen a release date for the new Canon 1D?

chris anderson

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:56:19 pm »

end of april, first part of may

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:46:05 pm »

end of april, first part of may
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106827\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you can get your hands on one  

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 09:52:14 pm »

If you can get your hands on one 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106868\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah... I have read such comments before and I still don't understand.

Why on earth would all those happy pro 1dII users rush to get a 1dIII? They have been able to take top images until now, right? What actual difference is this going to make?

Resolution is basically the same, speed as well, there are a few nice new features that help productivity, but those things could already mostly be done using one's brain - a thing that pros definitely do well.

Is it the potential gain in high iso noise? Still mostly non tested as we speak, isn't it better to wait for actual results?

Either people who have been claiming to love the 1dII have been lying to themselves all along, which I cannot believe, or the supposed rush for the 1DIII just won't happen.

I cannot help feeling that this launch is being over-hyped. Shouldn't we all relax and free ourselves from this non-sense upgrade craze?

Cheers,
Bernard

zlatko-b

• http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 12:27:30 am »

Bernard, my sense is that many photographers will conclude that the changes are not that significant for their work.  But probably about as many will conclude that the various improvements make for a sensible upgrade.  

Those who already shoot at and close to the technical limits of their cameras will benefit when those limits are pushed back further.  And when you multiply various small productivity enhancements over tens of thousands of exposures, then the small enhancements start to look more significant.

The 1dIII addresses specific needs for some photographers -

Improved dynamic range with the new Highlight Tone Priority feature.  Sure you can deal with extremes of dynamic range in other ways, but here's a feature that should genuinely make it easier, exposure after exposure.  Initial tests on imaging-resource.com indicate that it works.

Improved low-light autofocus.  19 cross-type AF sensors instead of 7 means more reliable autofocus across the image area, and less need to focus and recompose.  AF that works faster and more reliably in dim light is a great tool and a stress reliever.  I'm waiting for user reports on that ...

Better high ISO performance is a big deal if you're already shooting at or close to your camera's ISO limit, or spending time batching images through a noise reduction program.  It can mean the ability to use higher shutter speeds in the same light.  It can make it easier to deal with action when flash is inappropriate or flash doesn't reach.  It can mean an improvement in the quality of light when less flash is used.  Nailing these shots better can mean money in the bank for some.  Initial tests on imaging-resource.com indicate a noticeable improvement at ISO 1600 and 3200.

A bigger LCD just makes your work easier all day.  Menus are easier to see and there's less need for scrolling to enlarge small parts of an image.  Stress relief for tired eyes.

A smaller and longer-lasting battery is significant to those who carry 2 or more camera bodies and a bunch of the current heavy batteries.  (And now there's battery life info in the viewfinder.)  

A 30-shot raw buffer adds more room to shoot fast action.  Nice for those few who hit the current limits.

Those are some key points that weigh in favor of an upgrade for me.  When you factor in the resale value of a 1DII in good condition, then the expense of the upgrade is lessened.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:29:43 am by zlatko-b »

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 09:36:10 pm »

Bernard,

I've owned 2 - 1D's, a 1Ds, a 1D2, a 1D2n, and a 1Ds2. All great cameras, all different in their own right. Since I still have the 1Ds2 and had both flavors of the 1D2, (as a shooter with 30-years experience, I don't believe in not having backup)I decided to sell the older body to my assistant and buy the Mark III. Yes, you're right, not a huge change, but enough to make me decide to get one. Others may feel it's not enough to make the leap.

Personally, I like the increased FPS and the larger LCD screen on the back -- it will alleviate my having to wear reading glasses to see it! For me, each camera has it's own "job". I shoot a lot of catalog, with a smattering of editorial and advertising. The  1Ds2 is overkill for much of it. I use it for personal work, editorial and advertising. The 1D2 works just fine, so the little bit of added resolution combined with a hefty buffer and FPS is eactly what I want. Additionally, since I shoot a lot of backlit, the extra dynamic range is a huge plus. I was going to skip the 1D3, but then thought, what the hell.

Don't buy one if you don't want one. For others, it might do the trick.

Nemo

Why on earth would all those happy pro 1dII users rush to get a 1dIII? They have been able to take top images until now, right? What actual difference is this going to make?

Resolution is basically the same, speed as well, there are a few nice new features that help productivity, but those things could already mostly be done using one's brain - a thing that pros definitely do well.

Is it the potential gain in high iso noise? Still mostly non tested as we speak, isn't it better to wait for actual results?

Either people who have been claiming to love the 1dII have been lying to themselves all along, which I cannot believe, or the supposed rush for the 1DIII just won't happen.

I cannot help feeling that this launch is being over-hyped. Shouldn't we all relax and free ourselves from this non-sense upgrade craze?

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 09:38:40 pm by nemophoto »

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:54:24 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

B-san

There is also the possibility that people have been holding off buying their next 1DII until the 1DIII is announced. Given the 1D series cameras penetration of the professional market there is a steady stream of orders all the time, however, prior to an announcement this will drop off as people wait to place orders for the next model. It will take a couple of months (a) for production volume to pick up ( delayed orders to be fulfilled. This may appear as a rush to get the 1DIII, but is more likely a natural economic effect of a new model introduction.

i can't say that there has been any significant hype or euphoria compared with say 1 or 2 years ago when things were newer and each technology jump appeared bigger.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:55:03 am by DiaAzul »
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:23:29 pm »

While it is but a poor craftsperson who blames their tool, craftspeople often prefer the best tools they can afford. Under difficult conditions they can make a real difference, and even in day-to-day use. To generically believe you'll get the same results no matter what tool you use seems rather limiting ... just MHO.

C'mon Bernard, we love getting new toys!

DJ,
Waiting to dramatically improve his images with a 1DS Mk III
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:25:01 pm by djgarcia »
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:23:49 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you saying that top pros are not anymore reasonnable than mere amateurs like me?

Of course I'd get one if I were shooting Canon.  

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 10:31:49 pm »

Bernard, it'll be interesting to gauge your level of uninterest when when the D3x appears...

When the F5 came out, a lot of people thought the F4 was a better camera; and before that, some people held out that the F3 was better than the F4. And some people will still argue that the F3 was the best SLR film camera ever made. That hasn''t happened yet with DSLRs -- each top-end DSLR has been a major, undeniable improvement over its predecessor. Maybe that's going to end now, and we'll have arguments like we had over the F3, F4 and F5. (And who really thinks that the F6 is better than the 5?) Perhaps we're getting to an era of incremental improvements, and there won't be any great rush to get to the newest, at least by people heavily invested in the last version...

JC

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:43:46 pm »

Bernard, it'll be interesting to gauge your level of uninterest when when the D3x appears...

JC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am interested myself too in my level of interest.

That will really depend on the specs of the beast. I know that it will not be able to deliver better files than my Mamiya ZD at low ISO, but it will probably be much more versatile a tool.

If I can afford one at the time, I'll most probably invest in one unless I have been able to invest in yet higher end by then.

Future will tell.

Regards,
Bernard

Carl Harsch

• http://www.ohenry.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 10:11:53 am »

I think that pretty much sums it up  
Pages: [1]   Go Up