Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment advice: hoping to be semi-pro  (Read 2623 times)

wchogg

Equipment advice: hoping to be semi-pro
« on: March 09, 2007, 09:24:32 pm »

Hi,
So I've been doing photography off and on for a few years, and honestly after starting a much higher paying job I have a total of about 3-4k, not counting printer yet, that I can spend on a new set of camera equipment.  I hope to be able to sell prints of photos I take with this set, so having good enough image quality for that is my biggest concern.

I think I'd label my interests as being landscapes, architecture, and abstracts.  I don't really do portraits, at least not yet.

Currently all I have is a 300D, its kit lens, and the 70-300 sigma zoom/macro.

What recommendations would those who are more experienced than I have for a good set-up?  Do I need a new body or should I mostly put that money towards quality glass and a good tripod?  If I can even get prints ~8x10 out of the 300D sensor I'd probably prefer to invest in lenses.

At the moment, I've been rather interested in the 17-40L, the 70-200L IS 2.8, the 100mm canon macro, and the 100-400L, but it seems like all of them add up to a bit of overlap.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I may have more money to spend, but this is an investment and I want to do it right.

Thanks

jwhee0615

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:17:49 pm »

Hi,
So I've been doing photography off and on for a few years, and honestly after starting a much higher paying job I have a total of about 3-4k, not counting printer yet, that I can spend on a new set of camera equipment.  I hope to be able to sell prints of photos I take with this set, so having good enough image quality for that is my biggest concern.

I think I'd label my interests as being landscapes, architecture, and abstracts.  I don't really do portraits, at least not yet.

Currently all I have is a 300D, its kit lens, and the 70-300 sigma zoom/macro.

What recommendations would those who are more experienced than I have for a good set-up?  Do I need a new body or should I mostly put that money towards quality glass and a good tripod?  If I can even get prints ~8x10 out of the 300D sensor I'd probably prefer to invest in lenses.

At the moment, I've been rather interested in the 17-40L, the 70-200L IS 2.8, the 100mm canon macro, and the 100-400L, but it seems like all of them add up to a bit of overlap.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I may have more money to spend, but this is an investment and I want to do it right.

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would suggest Canon 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS or not. There is no reason why you couldnt sell a print made from a 300D provided someone likes it and the quality is good. Also invest in other good support equipment like tripod, ball head and such. Later an investment in a better body would open up more options.

Boris64

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 04:36:58 pm »

Surely it would be better to have good lenses (e.g. 17-40, 50/1.4, 70-200/2.8) with "lower" body than expensive top body with slow kit lenses.
Wish a good decision

Akiss

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:06:45 pm »

get the 5D or the 1Ds mk II.
[url=http://www.akissparaskevopoulos.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up