Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom workflow question  (Read 4878 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Lightroom workflow question
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:23:10 am »

I don't see a way to automatically flag files that have been exported - am I missing something?  RSP would automatically identify the files I took into PS for final processing.  I'm using a manually applied color code to do this now...  For local shoots (easily replicable) I only save the raw files that I've actually processed in PS.

Also, what do folks do for the actually processed files?  Do you import these (tif/psd/jpgs) back into LR?  At this point I don't, the original RAW file  is easy to find, and the processed version is alyways "close at hand", but I'd rather now go too far along and then decide I want to change the process.

jdyke

• http://www.jondyke.com
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:02 pm »

Tim
I dont' think you can automatically flag files that have been exported (I have not found this yet anyway  .

For reference my current workflow is as follows:-

1. Import into lightroom (add basic keywords and metadata template)
2. Sort using flags (picks and rejects)
3. Delete rejects
4. Process in Lightroom develop module
5. Label with Red (edit) if Photoshop work is needed if not jump to 10
6. Edit the raw file from Lightroom in Photoshop (CTRL-E) which creates a copy  called -edit.psd
7. Do my Photshop edits
8. Save the finished PSD
9. Back in Lightroom I now have two files - a raw file and a PSD.  The PSD is now effectively my master file.
10. I then set the PSD (or raw) with a green label (master)
11. If I then want to do a print I will then edit the PSD again (which creates a second copy edit-2) in photoshop to do my softproofing and sharpening (lightroom's sharpening is not that great at the momet  )
11. I then save the softproofed file (with the print adjutment layer)
A third file -edit-2.psd is then in the stack.  
12. I then label this with blue (print) (I may also drag these files into a collection)

This means that I now have three copies in Lightroom which I can find easily.

Normally the only time I will do an export out of lightroom is if I want Web files or if sending off to a print lab.  

If you use a RIP such as Imageprint then your workflow may differ but you could still use the same workflow and export to a seperate imageprint folder (or use the print through feature of lightroom)

Hope this helps - may not be the best way but it works for me.

Jon

jdyke

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:33:56 pm »

I forgot to mention - all the raws and edit are in a stack.

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:03:41 am »

jdyke -  I liked your workflow ideas - barring the actual colours used it is similar to the  flow I now like to use.

Although I think I like your idea on the sharpening  - I have noticed its a little  "iffy"

It would be nice if you could relabel the colours with words that popped up - like in iView - you can change Blue to read "Print"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:09:07 am by Doc »
Learning everyday !

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

Thanks - that's about what I figured.

Is there any way to disable the 'edit' appended to the file name in the CTRL E open in photoshop process?

Sid EOS

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 03:59:15 pm »

jdyke -  I liked your workflow ideas - barring the actual colours used it is similar to the  flow I now like to use.

Although I think I like your idea on the sharpening  - I have noticed its a little  "iffy"

It would be nice if you could relabel the colours with words that popped up - like in iView - you can change Blue to read "Print"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can edit the colour text, find this menu item in Library> metadata> color label set> edit

You can use multiple 'sets' of color labels, there are already two  in LR.
1. default: where the labels are designated as their color.
2. Review Status: Red - to delete; Yellow -color correction needed etc

You can edit the sets and save them as a new set or preset. The odd part is that when you change the titles, it seems that all of your color labels disappear, but they don't really. Have a play.

You can download a Colour label set from LightroomExtra.com, the are also notes in the FAQ general section.

I make that assumption that I can post this web address in this forum, if not, please remove it and accept my apologies.

Sid Jervis

jdyke

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:58:20 am »

Although I think I like your idea on the sharpening  - I have noticed its a little  "iffy"

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The sharpening is just not where it needs to be at the moment.  I tend to use Photokit Sharpener which has a lot more control.  I understand the guys at pixelgenius are looking to bring out a sharpening module for Lightroom as soon as they can get their hands on the SDK.  That will almost put an end to Photoshop for most of my work (appart from masking and selection work)

Jon

FredT

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:17:15 pm »

Is there any way to disable the 'edit' appended to the file name in the CTRL E open in photoshop process?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Doesn't seem to be any way of doing that, Tim.  You can edit the "edit" out of the name when you return from Photoshop, however.  It'a a bit of a hassle but keeps things neat and the way I like things to be.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 03:50:17 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Use Export instead of Edit. Export lets you choose the filenames freely, and you can specify a folder other than that containing the originals. This is handy if you like to keep derivatives and originals separately, or have a temp folder for Photoshop files that you may decide not to keep.

Used straight, Export sends the files outside the LR environment and you'd have to import them again. Alternatively, add a shortcut to Lightroom itself in the Export Actions Folder and set this as the Post Processing action. As soon as the export process finishes, you import the files into the library and can then right click and edit them with Photoshop.

John
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:50:38 am by johnbeardy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up