Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 1d mark III  (Read 44476 times)

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
canon 1d mark III
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:26:05 pm »

macgyver

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:06 pm »

I'm a fan.

Danijela D. Karic

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:54:06 pm »

Good diss by Canon to all of us waiting for 22/24mp

Regards
Danijela

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:54:20 pm »

YAWN... i am interested to see  the real improvements  in the 16-35mm II L lens but I guess i am going to wait until next round for the 1Dsmk2 replacement.

check here
http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pres...21_1dmark3.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

david o

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 11:54:51 pm »

I noticed 14bits...

macgyver

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:58:15 pm »

Yawn? Look at the press release, live preview, "silent drive mode", lighter, new controls, 19 cross-type AF sensors, they put a heck of a lot of new into this.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:00:08 am by macgyver »

DarkPenguin

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:27:04 am »

Nice looking camera.  Where is the print button?

Not at all what I was hoping for.  Looking a lot like I'm going to have a pentax k10d with the two new pentax lenses (announced a while ago, availability announced today) announced today.  Unless, of course, canon actually has something else up their sleeve.

Bah!  Been waiting for canon to announce ever since I mangled my 20D.

DarkPenguin

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:28:52 am »

Yawn? Look at the press release, live preview, "silent drive mode", lighter, new controls, 19 cross-type AF sensors, they put a heck of a lot of new into this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102269\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You see how many shots they are claiming?  Insane.  People over at DPreview are whining about the 10mp.  I don't think they're the target market.

macgyver

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50:15 am »

You see how many shots they are claiming?  Insane.  People over at DPreview are whining about the 10mp.  I don't think they're the target market.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102278\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, the drive is rediculous.  Learn some timing.

jani

• Øyet
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 04:04:53 am »

This is good news; the updated camera seems to deliver more than I expected, if I could only recall my expectations.

Personally, I'll also wait for further announcements this year to see which model I'm going to upgrade to, if I'm going to upgrade.

Edit: I suddenly noticed the little string of text that ought to have Phil Askey whooping with joy:

To avoid corruption of captured images, a warning appears on the LCD and an alarm sounds if the memory card door is opened while images are still being written.

I also noticed that the new EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM has an 82mm filter diameter. Yow, there goes my filter budget.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:17:47 am by jani »
Jan

steve_watkins

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 04:10:05 am »

Gotta say, I am decidedly underwhelmed by the extent of Canon's new gear releases. This is their 70th anniversary year and the 20th anniversary this March of EOS, but it feels like the celebrations are no more than a couple of smouldering firecrackers and a sparkler, rather than more fitting big bang fireworks.

I'm sure the sports shooters are interested but that must be a fairly tiny fraction of their market. The new 16-35 might be of interest but I have just bought one of the current ones, so gonna wait quite a while to see how it reviews before even thinking of trading in.

I think Canon are shooting themselves in the foot with their strict non-disclosure policy before launches. All it does is allow expectations to run too high, which can only lead to disappointment when the real products are released, even when the new kit is pretty decent, like with the new 1D MkIII.

I do a fair bit of photo workshop teaching and I am always heralding Canon as being the leaders in the prosumer market, but Nikon, Sony et al are making it harder to keep saying that with conviction. Canon are going to lose a lot of sales this year now that the 30D hasn't been replaced.

At least my bank manager will stay happy as I won't be raiding the funds for any of this new Canon kit.

Steve

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 04:24:29 am »

Gotta say, I am decidedly underwhelmed by the extent of Canon's new gear releases. This is their 70th anniversary year and the 20th anniversary this March of EOS, but it feels like the celebrations are no more than a couple of smouldering firecrackers and a sparkler, rather than more fitting big bang fireworks.

I'm sure the sports shooters are interested but that must be a fairly tiny fraction of their market.  Canon are going to lose a lot of sales this year now that the 30D hasn't been replaced.

At least my bank manager will stay happy as I won't be raiding the funds for any of this new Canon kit.

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you're writing the rest of the year off as far as new models are concerned? Brave man.  

The sports shooters are a very large part of Canon's EOS1 market, so today's release is major news for them!

As far as a 1DsMkII replacement is concerned (which I'm waiting for) then the 1DMkIII feature set is a very promising pointer to what to expect - I hope. 14bit is again a major feature!

For what it is worth, I've been told (from someone who is in a position to know) that Canon's entire DSLR line-up will be changed this year. I just wish the 1DsMkII had been the first!  

steve_watkins

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 04:38:58 am »

So you're writing the rest of the year off as far as new models are concerned? Brave man. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not writing off the rest of the year, as I am sure there will be more releases eventually, but think Canon will lose out between now and then because there are a lot of people revved up now for a 40D, in particular, who will quite possibly look elsewhere and find cameras that match their needs.

I'm holding out for a new 5D to back up the 1DS MkII, but there again the 1DS MKIII will no doubt pull on my purse strings. I was kinda hoping that the 5D replacement would come out now too, or at least the 40D, as I have a big project ahead and it would have been perfect. Can't see me buying a current 5D or 30D though, as they will nosedive in value once the new ones arrives.

Steve

gguida

• http://www.gguida.com
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 04:48:29 am »

If you go through all the new features, it is actually a very smart upgrade. 1.3x sensor is a bit of a disappointment but sport shooters love the artificial lenghtening of their lenses. Everything else is a long step in the right direction. Did you notice the mirror lock feature... Michael is going to be happy. 2200 shots with one battery with a % indicator? AF point selection with the joystick? Fine tuning of the AF for each lens (that will change my life)! Custom modes? 14 bits (4 times as many gradations!). For sport shooters, the live preview is especially good used remotely, as it will be for studio shooters with the 1Ds3 if it has the same feature, the one thing that was missing with tethered shooting. As a wildlife photographer, I welcome the finally waterproof 580 EX II and the other new flash functions. As a 1 series user, I am quite happy the main functions don't have to be relearnt and that the format of the camera remains the same. Brilliant! Oh, and it is cheaper too....

As for the 1Ds3, it is probably ready but waits for feedback on the 1D3 just in case. Now I am really getting impatient.

Khun_K

• http://
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 05:00:34 am »

If you go through all the new features, it is actually a very smart upgrade. 1.3x sensor is a bit of a disappointment but sport shooters love the artificial lenghtening of their lenses. Everything else is a long step in the right direction. Did you notice the mirror lock feature... Michael is going to be happy. 2200 shots with one battery with a % indicator? AF point selection with the joystick? Fine tuning of the AF for each lens (that will change my life)! Custom modes? 14 bits (4 times as many gradations!). For sport shooters, the live preview is especially good used remotely, as it will be for studio shooters with the 1Ds3 if it has the same feature, the one thing that was missing with tethered shooting. As a wildlife photographer, I welcome the finally waterproof 580 EX II and the other new flash functions. As a 1 series user, I am quite happy the main functions don't have to be relearnt and that the format of the camera remains the same. Brilliant! Oh, and it is cheaper too....

As for the 1Ds3, it is probably ready but waits for feedback on the 1D3 just in case. Now I am really getting impatient.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Imagine the coming 1Ds MK3 have all these features and perhaps a quad Digit III?  Can't wait to see what's coming in days!

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:11:16 am »

Live LCD preview (also available on the computer when tethered), 3-inch LCD, integrated sensor cleaning, an additional stop's worth of ISO, and sRAW when lower-resolution images are OK but RAW flexibility is desired, Li-ion battery instead of NiMH, and 14-bit RAW. I'd say overall a nice set of new features.

Given the 2:1 pixel ratio between the 1Ds-II and 1D-II, a 20MP+ pixel count for the 1Ds-III is quite plausible.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:16:15 am by Jonathan Wienke »

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 06:36:49 am »

Imagine the coming 1Ds MK3 have all these features and perhaps a quad Digit III?  Can't wait to see what's coming in days!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. Trade some of the internal space taken up by the extra mirror and shutter motors for more processing electronics and say 5-6fps.

jani

• Øyet
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 06:39:23 am »

Yes. Trade some of the internal space taken up by the extra mirror and shutter motors for more processing electronics and say 5-6fps.
Extra mirror and shutter motors?

Where do you have that information from?
Jan

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
canon 1d mark III
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 06:42:17 am »

Extra mirror and shutter motors?

Where do you have that information from?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The white paper.

Pages 31 & 35.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:47:28 am by phila »

david o

canon 1d mark III
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 06:56:34 am »

if the target of that is sport photographer (with 10 fps how could it be different) I don't see the point to have live preview.
How that could work with a 300/2.8 followong is subject? can you picture the guy with that lens holding his camera to see what's goin' on on the display... Sounds weard to me.
But I must missed something here.
Anyhow it's not the product I'm looking for, just a thought about that feature.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up