Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD firewire port failure  (Read 11617 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya ZD firewire port failure
« on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:34 pm »

Bummer     The firewire port on my ZD started playing up today, and has now failed completely.

I guessed this might happen eventually because the ZD uses that silly little mini port instead of the large one.  Given the size of the ZD, I simply can't understand why they did not add the large style port, as Kodak did years ago with their DCS 760 and similar pro cameras.  the small ports have no strength and if used for tethered shooting as I was doing (and the camera is designed so to be used), no matter how careeful you are there will be some strain put onon the port itself.  I only use the firewire cable supplied by Mamiya.  However when it failed, I did try another cable to rule out a cable defect.

It wil be interesting to see what Mamiya say about repairs.  I regard this as a design defect.

Quentin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:21:34 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 02:13:23 pm »

Quentin,

I have heard of Mamiya ZD failing as a result of firewire cable damage. Apparently, the cable supplied by Mamiya does not survive through many sessions of tethered shooting.  
If your ZD is not working via firewire, it will probably need to be repaired.

To comment on the insecure firewire port on ZD body, I would suggect mounting ZD on a stroboframe and securing the firewire cable on it (simply with a Gaffer tape) to prevent it being pulled out from the camera.

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

My firewire connection started dropping a couple of months ago, I changed the cable for a new one and I was able to go on for a month but one day the connection definitely died. I took it to service (it's still there), they were testing it here in Spain, and the first days they said nothing was wrong until they discovered there is an aleatory problem possibly caused by the motherboard. We are still arguing if we should take it to Japan for a repair or change it for a new one. Pufff, I have been shooting with a 1ds Mark II for two weeks. Maybe this is a common problem in all cameras? I hope not, but the firewire plug looks completely new in my camera, unless it is an internal problem the only thing I can assure is that it is not a cable problem. I hope to have some more inputs soon.

Regarding the cable problem I faced the same question some weeks ago you can see this post

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=13932&hl=

After looking around for some solution I have ordered the  Manfrotto 030AT Anti theft camera plate. My intention is using the plate to hold the firewire cable before arriving to the camera. I hope it will work. I completely agree with you that a 6 pin connector like Canon or any other DB would mitigate the problem very much.

Arnau
---------------------------------------

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 03:35:25 pm »

My firewire connection started dropping a couple of months ago, I changed the cable for a new one and I was able to go on for a month but one day the connection definitely died. I took it to service (it's still there), they were testing it here in Spain, and the first days they said nothing was wrong until they discovered there is an aleatory problem possibly caused by the motherboard. We are still arguing if we should take it to Japan for a repair or change it for a new one. Pufff, I have been shooting with a 1ds Mark II for two weeks. Maybe this is a common problem in all cameras? I hope not, but the firewire plug looks completely new in my camera, unless it is an internal problem the only thing I can assure is that it is not a cable problem. I hope to have some more inputs soon.

Regarding the cable problem I faced the same question some weeks ago you can see this post

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=13932&hl=

After looking around for some solution I have ordered the  Manfrotto 030AT Anti theft camera plate. My intention is using the plate to hold the firewire cable before arriving to the camera. I hope it will work. I completely agree with you that a 6 pin connector like Canon or any other DB would mitigate the problem very much.
Arnau
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99916\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting.  I missed your earlier post about the same problem.  Reinforces the view it is a design fault.  I don't want to be without the camera for weeks.  I'll speak to Mamiya here in the UK tomorrow and try to get an idea on repair times.  All I can say is this is going to be a recurring problem with the silly little connector used.  Mamiya should work out a fix.

I'l be back with an update soon :-)

Quentin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:36:03 pm by Quentin »

andybuk99

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 05:58:14 am »

I have been looking at a ZD and I couldn't believe they were using the small firewire port. My old s2 had that and even on that it was unacceptable, my eyelike has the large port and you feel much more confident about clients walking around all the cables on the floor!

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 06:19:06 am »

similar problem here. I had failing connections with the supplied mamiya firewirecable.  when i changed to an other cable (4pin to 4pin) it worked. I send the original cable back - haven´t got an answer or replacement yet to check. looked like a loose contact in the cable. but could also have been the cameraport.
the small firewireport is indeed a very bad design. I feel it´s just a matter of time till it goes.
the zd is a funny camera - so well thougt through in some ways and in some other details so stupid. some parts just look/feel like the financial department told the techdepartment to cut the overall cost by 5 yen and use some cheap and wobbely parts.

stefan
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 06:22:22 am by stefan marquardt »
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 07:16:39 am »

Spoke with Robert White and the camera is being returned for replacement today.  No quibbling from RW.  

Quentin

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:37:47 am »

I also got a new camera last friday. But I finally didn't have a response on what was the cause of the problem. Mmmm... I'll have to go even with more care. BTW did you notice any firmware ugrade? My unit serial is FEXXXX so is more new but the only different thing I noticed was the CD is 1.2 and there is a rose paper explaining the consequences of high ISO.

Arnau.
---------------------------------------

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 06:22:29 pm »

I also got a new camera last friday. But I finally didn't have a response on what was the cause of the problem. Mmmm... I'll have to go even with more care. BTW did you notice any firmware ugrade? My unit serial is FEXXXX so is more new but the only different thing I noticed was the CD is 1.2 and there is a rose paper explaining the consequences of high ISO.

Arnau.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My replacement will not arrrive for a few days.  In my covering note to Robert White, I said I wanted a late serial number model replacement because ealrier ones had focusing issues.  

Time will tell :-)

Quentin

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 03:47:06 pm »

New ZD received today from Robert white, serial number begins with "FE" which is a later production run.  Robert White handled the whole exchange very professionally, so I'm pleased  

Quentin

MichaelEzra

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 11:15:58 am »

Quentin,

Could you please share, what are the camera firmware versions in the new ZD?
The Mamiya's software displays 2 values for the firmware.
Thanks,

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 04:23:44 pm »

The two values are "Camera Firmware" 1.00 and "Firmware" 1.03.

Quentin

Quentin,

Could you please share, what are the camera firmware versions in the new ZD?
The Mamiya's software displays 2 values for the firmware.
Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MichaelEzra

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 08:39:23 am »

The two values are "Camera Firmware" 1.00 and "Firmware" 1.03.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Quentin. I have ordered mine in late November 2006 and have the same firmware, which I was told was the latest then, and apparently still is:)

cidco

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 05:20:44 am »

Bummer     The firewire port on my ZD started playing up today, and has now failed completely.
Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello, until now we already fix two ZD becouse the firewire port failure. and there have one ZD after change the firewire board after one mouths still failure. like Michael Ezra say mounting ZD on a stroboframe and securing the firewire cable on it.     ..we ask ZD user change cable each mouths  If u use remote capture often. sorry my bad english.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:27:41 am by cidco »

stefan marquardt

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 07:59:59 am »

..we ask ZD user change cable each mouths  If u use remote capture often.

do you mean, I should get a new firewire-cable every month?
in which way does that help?
I have my original cable at the shop at the moment to get it fixed/exchanged. the shop said to me that mamiya germany told them, only to use the original mamiya cable since others dont work. (but there is s a shortage of mamiya-cables, so mamiya can´t deliver) I am not sure if I should belive all that. My experience is, all the other cables I have work fine, it´s only the suplied mamiya cable that doesn´t work.
Is the firewire-problem only caused by the lacking holding mechanism or is the firewire board itself a part that gives trouble after a while?

stefan

(www stefanmarquardt de)
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

cidco

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 12:09:01 pm »

do you mean, I should get a new firewire-cable every month?
in which way does that help?
Is the firewire-problem only caused by the lacking holding mechanism or is the firewire board itself a part that gives trouble after a while?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If can find good quality firewire cable. them change ever month If u use remote capture often.
think firewire cable is expendables.  

firewire board parts is no trouble at all. problem is come from cable. or your computer firewire port DC out too high or not stable, chip die after while.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:22:23 pm by cidco »

stefan marquardt

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 03:23:48 pm »

If can find good quality firewire cable. them change ever month

thanks for your answer. may I ask you where your knowledge comes from? do you work for mamiya? or do you fix the ZD´s for them?
how do I recognize a good firewire-cable ? are the more expensive cables with gold contacts better? are the short cables better then the long ones?
is this unique to all cameras or a speciality of the ZD?

sorry for so many questions

thanks and regards

stefan marquardt

(www architekturbild de)
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 07:32:20 pm »

I've been thinking about some sort of solution that would involve a port adapter to convert from the small to large port, plus a clamp of some kind.  I have never had any opther firewire device fail because of a board failure - My 3.5 year old Kodak 14nx is still going strong, for example - , so what is it with the ZD that makes it vulnerable, and what the heck are Mamiya going to do when more and more ZD's fail?  I no londer feel safe shooting tethered, which is ridiculous for a professional camera intended for frequent studio use.

We need a solution that works.

Quentin

doncody

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 05:24:49 pm »

I've been thinking about some sort of solution that would involve a port adapter to convert from the small to large port, plus a clamp of some kind.  I have never had any opther firewire device fail because of a board failure - My 3.5 year old Kodak 14nx is still going strong, for example - , so what is it with the ZD that makes it vulnerable, and what the heck are Mamiya going to do when more and more ZD's fail?  I no londer feel safe shooting tethered, which is ridiculous for a professional camera intended for frequent studio use.

We need a solution that works.

Quentin
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quentin,

Someone on DP Review was looking for a fail-safe firewire and someone recommended this product - said "it never let me down" [a href=\"http://www.oehlbach.de/CMS/product-detail.php?sprache=en&artikelnummer=9151]http://www.oehlbach.de/CMS/product-detail....ikelnummer=9151[/url]
Hope it helps

Best,
Don

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 07:23:31 pm »

Quentin,

Someone on DP Review was looking for a fail-safe firewire and someone recommended this product - said "it never let me down" http://www.oehlbach.de/CMS/product-detail....ikelnummer=9151
Hope it helps

Best,
Don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reference, Don.  My worry though is you are still relying upon the small firewire connector.  I've given up shooting tethered for the time being because of the fear or port failure.  Why does the Mamiya port fail when the same design Kodak SLR/n port keep on going?   I just don't know where the fault lies.

Quentin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up