Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D200  (Read 218 times)

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25162
Nikon D200
« on: October 07, 2026, 03:02:34 pm »

Having spent the last couple of years using only an iPhone for my photography, I thought I'd take the old Nikon (bought new, 21st November, 2005) for a walk in the gloom of a rainy day.

Well, quite the experience! For a start, the weight of the thing on my past its sell-by frame, the difficulty I found trying to catch focus on static objects a few yards away, where I ended up watching for the tiny green focus indicator light to go on more than I watched the subject, all because I'd decided on a 2/35mm AIS manual lens and not one of my three longer autofocus lenses.

Such unfair challenges aside, I have to give the Nikon a plus for the greater ease of framing than the iPhones give me. It seemed steady as a rock in my hands, whereas those cellphone are not really all that brilliant to hold - especially the larger model. The light was pretty ugly, so no surprise the snaps look ugly too. However, the greater surprise came from discovering that I like the cellphone files better to work with in PS. I seem to have found a look from the cellphones, especially from the old 13 Mini, that I kinda prefer. That said, bad light challenges the cellphones, too, so perhaps not a fair comparison; I must wait for some brighter weather before going too negative on the D200. I remember it and the newer-but-now-dead D700 making some pretty good tones in the past. Perhaps I just have to adapt.

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2206
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Nikon D200
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2026, 07:06:13 pm »

Well, quite the experience! For a start, the weight of the thing on my past its sell-by frame. . . . Such unfair challenges aside, I have to give the Nikon a plus for the greater ease of framing than the iPhones give me. It seemed steady as a rock in my hands, whereas those cellphone are not really all that brilliant to hold. . . .

Similar experience here.  Although I'm impressed with the quality of its images, I find my iPhone rather fiddly.  Young people (from my geriatric perspective, that means anybody under 65) don't seem to have any difficulty keeping cellphone cameras steady—of course, they mostly hold them a few inches from their faces to snap smirking pictures of themselves—but a both-hands-on camera is a better match for my surviving manipulative abilities than a cellphone.

Having said that, the iPhone is always in my pocket.  As Tony Soprano famously said, "whaddaya gonna do?"

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25162
Re: Nikon D200
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2026, 11:47:03 am »

Similar experience here.  Although I'm impressed with the quality of its images, I find my iPhone rather fiddly.  Young people (from my geriatric perspective, that means anybody under 65) don't seem to have any difficulty keeping cellphone cameras steady—of course, they mostly hold them a few inches from their faces to snap smirking pictures of themselves—but a both-hands-on camera is a better match for my surviving manipulative abilities than a cellphone.

Having said that, the iPhone is always in my pocket.  As Tony Soprano famously said, "whaddaya gonna do?"

Yes, I currently carry both my iPhones, the 13 Mini and the new 17 Pro Max. The duplication is because I feel the old device is better-suited to my “distressed” Daidochromes kick, and as victim of a mugging that had a woman relieve me of the weight of my ‘72 Rolex Submariner, I realise the importance of horses for courses, and if the location or people send me the wrong vibes, and if the shot still feels irresistible, then out will come Mini.

Apart from steadiness, perhaps the worst thing about both models is how oversensitive they are to accidental switching from Photo to Video or something else. There should be a set of steps to lock, and prevent accidental moves like that. However, on balance, I really have grown to appreciate the engineering miracles those techs have achieved. Bravo!

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25162
Re: Nikon D200
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2026, 12:39:39 pm »

I decided that the D200 needs at least as much exercise as do I, and so to achieve both goals, came to the conclusion that on days when I know I need do no shopping, I should carry the camera - probably in a paper plastic bag - (Blow Up, anyone?) for waterproofing purposes - and see what transpires. I had the thing set at ISO 340, which is where it almost always has lived, because I need as high a shutter speed as I can get to compensate for my wobbles. Those old sensors certainly don't work terribly well up there - the native for the body is ISO 100 - but that doesn't upset me at all; I like a little interference with theoretical technical perfection.

Well, so that I can't avoid making the effort, I've started a new thread in the Projects section of my website- so many projects, so many semi-deaths of same...

The things one does to avoid absolute silence within one's head. ;-)

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25162
Re: Nikon D200
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2026, 02:26:26 pm »

Death and bones of a season.

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2560
Re: Nikon D200
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2026, 05:53:26 pm »

Good series !
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up