Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Q3 43  (Read 201 times)

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 755
Leica Q3 43
« on: September 23, 2026, 12:27:08 pm »

If I had a Q3 43, I could well want to crop to simulate the FOV of a 100mm lens. This would result in a significant drop in the number of pixels. Has anyone done similar and then used LR super resolution to up the number of pixels 4x. If so, what is the effect on IQ?
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Logged
Jonathan in UK

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25136
Re: Leica Q3 43
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2026, 11:25:30 am »

Ah, Jonathan... our late friend Keith could have answered anything you wanted to know about the Q3 43. He loved his.

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Leica Q3 43
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2026, 12:04:07 pm »

The same on any size image at that you upsample with that utility. If you are cropping to the center of the lens FOV, then, depending on the characteristics of the lens, you may avoid some of the drop off in MTF and aberrations.
It might be similar to using a full frame lens on a m4/3 camera where you can capture the "sweet spot" of the lens, with the obvious difference of using a different sensor.
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Leica Q3 43
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2026, 07:44:46 pm »

If I had a Q3 43, I could well want to crop to simulate the FOV of a 100mm lens. This would result in a significant drop in the number of pixels. Has anyone done similar and then used LR super resolution to up the number of pixels 4x.

Lightroom's Super Resolution is still limited to 2X, but you can use Topaz Gigapixel within Lightroom for a 4X (or greater) enlargement.  (Adobe recently acquired Topaz; apparently, the plan is to keep the brands separate, at least for now, despite their common ownership.)

In my experience, Adobe's approach to AI enlargement is conservative: SR seems more likely to extrapolate additional pixels rather than using a neural network to generate them.  Having said that, I occasionally do see generative-AI artifacts with both enlargement tools.

Gigapixel tends to be more aggressive, although some of its models offer a slider you can use to throttle the extent to which it invents data that do not exist in the original image.  There's no way to determine in advance what the neural network will do with a particular image (and, in fact, it will perform differently each time you use it with the same image), so for both a 2X comparison with SR or for a greater enlargement, the best approach seems to be to try them both and decide for yourself which result you like better.  Sort of like using Perceptual and Relative Intent when you're soft-proofing for a print.

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 755
Re: Leica Q3 43
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:05:35 am »

Thanks for the replies.  Reviews of the Q3 43 often cite excellent IQ.  For my needs LR Super Resolution is fine so I am interested in its effect on a 43 image if I wanted to crop to simulate a 100mm lens.  Cropping that much would mean a substantial drop in pixels.

I guess one way forward is to hire and try it.  As with most people, a purchase would mean a large payout!  Currently I am happy with my Fuji X-E5 and Fuji prime lenses.  I have just bought the Viltrox 90mm F2.2 EVO though, and am impressed.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Logged
Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up