Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?  (Read 884 times)

SunshineD

  • Administrator
  • Jr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 76
The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« on: May 08, 2026, 03:48:48 am »

Dye transfer printing is one of photography’s rarest surviving processes 🎞️
James Browning may be one of the last active dye transfer printers in the world. Fascinating read for anyone who loves photographic craft and history.
Have you ever seen a dye transfer print in person? https://luminous-landscape.com/the-last-dye-transfer-printer/
Logged

jani

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1625
    • Øyet
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2026, 11:01:44 am »

It is a bit sad to see Ctein forgotten so quickly, and here, of all sites.

And, apparently, William Eggleston was doing dye transfers earlier this year.

It is kind of weird to think that these people do not know about each other.
Logged
Jan

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 25131
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2026, 12:47:38 pm »

Sic transit gloria mundi…

I thought the world had run out of materials for the process. I guess the truth is that nobody gives a damn anymore; photography stopped being glamorous some decades ago, the only people who haven’t got the message yet are galleries, their “artists” and a few investors too deeply in it to be willing to permit the bubble to pop.

I still have a few cassettes of Kodachrome: 64 and 200 ASA. I live in hope, a hope that precludes the holding of my breath.

Apropos of not a lot: I realised a day or two ago that Levis and Elvis contain the same letters.

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2026, 10:35:57 am »

I did dye transfer printing way back when as it was the final "official" class during my college photo classes. It was offered in the catalog and the lab had the equipment. But the instructors never did it nor do I think anyone had done it there since some of the equipment and all the supplies were still boxed.

It was one step below the ultimate color reproduction of the day which was pigment printing and an entirely more complex printing method than dye transfer.

I pretty much had to learn the process solo as I was the only one enrolled. When I completed the class, I did more during the following summer and that inspired a couple of other people to take the class and my next class was to teach the two students what I learned the previous terms.

One of my mentors slipped me the Brooks Institute manuals and another, Phil Hyde, answered a lot of my questions as I started my journey into the process.

Petersen's Photographic was nearly as big as Pop Photo & Modern Photo then and Ctein was writing a series of articles on how to do the process, so I picked up even more tips.

I learned a lot on color printing, chemistry, densitometry, and more during a year of the process. But I really wanted to go out and shoot, rather than spend days in the lab to print each image. I ended up going into Cibachrome and I was much more happy!

I still have a few of my surviving DT prints in my archives.

Years later, I met Charles Cramer at a photo symposium I once helped to produce. He, too, had been a dye transfer printer then evolved into Cibachrome. Out meeting was maybe 20 years ago and he had just made the leap to shooting digital images after years of scanning film and printing pigment prints, much like I had. I already had a few years under my belt with digital capture and printing by then.

That education was priceless! I learned that for me to survive, I couldn't live on such a tedious process that would yield few images overall.

What took me weeks to print with the control one had with dye transfer today takes just a few minutes to prepare and minutes to print at any size, rather than one set of matrixes for each and every size of print taking a tremendous investment of time, energy and resources to make every print.

Dye transfer prints was the ultimate process during much of the 20th century but it pales to the potential we have with today's tools and techniques.

I admire the tenacity of those who kept the process going but glad I learned the process and continue to evolve as things change.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2026, 11:18:08 am by langier »
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

KeithR

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 789
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2026, 11:51:49 am »

It is a bit sad to see Ctein forgotten so quickly, and here, of all sites.

And, apparently, William Eggleston was doing dye transfers earlier this year.

It is kind of weird to think that these people do not know about each other.

If I recall, there might be a video with Ctein and Michael Riechman on this site and there is a very nice You Tube video about making DT's of the Eggleston images.
Logged
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Christopher Sanderson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2750
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2026, 09:35:24 am »

Logged

Huffie

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2026, 02:41:25 am »

is this the same as dye sublimation, like the type of printing used to create designs and art to be "heat pressed" onto coffee mugs?
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2553
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2026, 07:48:51 am »

sublimation means that solid dye is vaporized in the head and deposited on the paper where it cools and binds.

Dye transfer is a lithographic process.
https://www.eastman.org/technicolor/technology/dye-transfer-printing
Logged

Robcat

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
Re: The Last Dye Transfer Printer?
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2026, 02:06:54 pm »

Non-snarky Q here. I have always heard the reputation of dye transfer as very archival, yet we photographers ran away screaming from dye-based digital prints because they faded so quickly. How are the DT dyes longer lasting? Are they different chemicals? And if so, shouldn't somebody put them in digital printers and get the same look but w archival performance? Or are they just long-lasting in comparison to standard Kodak color print chemistry?
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up