Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Balance  (Read 2150 times)

nollamo

White Balance
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:58:11 am »

New to digital and just a keen amateur. I have just purchased a Canon 5D and I need some help please.

I set up a macro environment using a cube and studio lights either side. Small amount of ambient light also in the room about 1/2 stop.

I have taken an incident light reading and set camera up manually with correct readings.

I have taken test shots using AWB and Flash WB settings with light meter reading (as taken) of 125/f5.6 all the images are overexposed, I need to stop down to F11/14 to obtain a relatively correctly exposed image.

I know I can adjust in photoshop and can take a custom reading but cannot understand why the camera is overexposing so much using the in camera custom settings. All the kit is brand new including the meter - am I doing something wrong? Any advice?

howiesmith

White Balance
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:19:08 pm »

New to digital and just a keen amateur. I have just purchased a Canon 5D and I need some help please.

I set up a macro environment using a cube and studio lights either side. Small amount of ambient light also in the room about 1/2 stop.

I have taken an incident light reading and set camera up manually with correct readings.

I have taken test shots using AWB and Flash WB settings with light meter reading (as taken) of 125/f5.6 all the images are overexposed, I need to stop down to F11/14 to obtain a relatively correctly exposed image.

I know I can adjust in photoshop and can take a custom reading but cannot understand why the camera is overexposing so much using the in camera custom settings. All the kit is brand new including the meter - am I doing something wrong? Any advice?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You said you are taking an incident meter reading.  Can I assume you are using a flash meter?

Turn the shutter speed up to the sync speed (1/200) of the camera.  That will help a small amount.  Flash exposure is set by f/stop and not shutter speed.  A high shutter speed will reduce ambient light exposure.  Then follow the flash meter.

nollamo

White Balance
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 04:31:16 pm »

You said you are taking an incident meter reading.  Can I assume you are using a flash meter?

Turn the shutter speed up to the sync speed (1/200) of the camera.  That will help a small amount.  Flash exposure is set by f/stop and not shutter speed.  A high shutter speed will reduce ambient light exposure.  Then follow the flash meter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98896\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, yes to using a flash meter sync to two 500w Bowens, I will try the sync speed. I set the meter, shutter speed to 125 and the reading based on flash used was f5.6. This is correct use isn't it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

howiesmith

White Balance
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 04:45:23 pm »

Thanks, yes to using a flash meter sync to two 500w Bowens, I will try the sync speed. I set the meter, shutter speed to 125 and the reading based on flash used was f5.6. This is correct use isn't it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98923\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

f/5.6 sounds pretty open for 2-500 watt lights.  I can't tell what's wrong, but sounds like something.  Is ISO set OK?

Cube with two lights.  Is it a cube made of mirrors on black glass?  A classic studio assignment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up