Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 15 not importing xml/acr sidecar data of raw files.  (Read 1221 times)

Redcrown

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 544
Lightroom 15 not importing xml/acr sidecar data of raw files.
« on: November 06, 2025, 01:03:28 pm »

I use Bridge + Photoshop. I have Lightroom installed but rarely use it, and then only to filter and browse. So I frequently do a Lightroom "Import" to get new images I've added and processed with Bridge/Photoshop. Followed by a Lightroom "find missing photos" to remove any that I've moved around or renamed in Bridge.

That has always worked well, but the new Lightroom 15 is apparently not importing raw files correctly. It is ignoring the edits made in Bridge/ACR. Apparently ignoring the xml and acr sidecar files. I've removed and re-imported several ACR edited raw files. I've used the LR Library/Synchronize function (several times). Still raw photos show in LR in their original state, no xml/acr sidecar data used.

So, please verify or tell me what I'm missing. (On Windows 11).
Logged

RikkFlohr

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 211
  • Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Re: Lightroom 15 not importing xml/acr sidecar data of raw files.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2025, 03:12:03 pm »

I was unable to replicate this failure using the provided instructions. Both the .acr and .xmp are rendered in LrC 15.0 when synchronizing the folder.  Perhaps a more detailed description of what your process (including the "Synchronize Folder" dialog settings) is necessary to understand what is happening.
Logged
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom 15 not importing xml/acr sidecar data of raw files.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2025, 03:25:57 pm »

Like Rikk, I'm not able to suffer this issue, but I am on a Mac.
Just wondering if you do a test, but with a DNG, if that makes any difference for you.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Redcrown

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 544
Re: Lightroom 15 not importing xml/acr sidecar data of raw files.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2025, 04:20:17 pm »

Thanks, ChatGPT helped identify this issue (after 4 rounds).

I do all my raw editing using Bridge/ACR, but then import all into LR for browsing and filtering. I imported a recent large batch of ACR edited images, went to LR to review, and noticed none of my ACR edits appeared in the Library module thumbs or previews. Lots of cropping, removals, Denoise AI. But, if I went into the Develop module, the ACR edits were all there and the preview was correct.

ChatGPT asked me to use the Library/Previews command to re-generate standard or full sized previews. Did that, and Volia, the Library previews were now all correct, reflecting all the edits in xmp/acr sidecars. ChatGPT declared it a bug in the import preview generation.

I'm on Windows 23H2, new Photoshop V27 and ACR V18. I'm curious why others don't see this. Is there some LR import preference I'm missing? Like a way to force Standard or full sized previews on import?
Logged

Redcrown

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 544
Re: Lightroom 15 not importing xml/acr sidecar data of raw files.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2025, 11:29:48 am »

Update: On my Windows 11 Lightroom V15, when I did an initial Import, the "Build Previews" option under File Handling was set to "Embedded & Sidecar". With that option, previews after the import contain no edits contained in the xmp and acr sidecars. When I change that option to "Standard", previews are built correctly showing edits in xmp/acr.

One would think that the word sidecar in the "Embedded & Sidecar" option would mean sidecars would be used when building previews. But they clearly are not in V15. I don't know what that preview option was in my prior version of LR, so I don't know if this is a new issue. Perhaps my old LR was set to "Standard" and that's why I never saw the issue before.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up