Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shootout!  (Read 332 times)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Shootout!
« on: March 16, 2025, 05:46:53 pm »

In old San Miguel de Allende, México.  (Those big papier mâché puppets are called mojigangas.)

Christopher Sanderson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2750
Re: Shootout!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2025, 10:25:42 am »

Wonderful moment filled with juxtapositions and triangulations.

My temptation, having asked "what the photograph is about?", would be to explore some judicious cropping and reprocessing to emphasize the subjects.
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Shootout!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2025, 11:12:37 am »

My temptation, having asked "what the photograph is about?", would be to explore some judicious cropping and reprocessing to emphasize the subjects.

That was my original inclination, actually.  But after playing around with it a bit, I decided it worked better with the context of the other tourists and the buildings in the background.  And also I liked the "what-is-this-photograph-about" ambiguity.

As for the processing, although it was shot on a high-resolution digital camera, I was trying for a gritty, high contrast, film-like appearance—an homage, if you will, to the street photographers of the 1950s and 1960s whose work I've always admired.  (I stopped short of injecting artificial grain, however.  There's an important distinction, I think, between homage and dissimulation.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up