I've been using the Clearshield for about 15 years. I used to apply it with a manual roller/tray set-up but that's when I was doing several hundred finished pieces. Today, I simply use a paint roller and tray for the few pieces I produce in a batch. The price isn't as critical to me as it was for the larger runs I once did.
Canvas is a premium product I print and I've simply had to increase my print prices through the years as the costs in general have gone higher.
The "liquid laminate" just makes the prints more durable and requires less maintenance in the long run so the added expense is worthwhile in my take. My clients like it since they can now simply wipe the dust with a damp sponge and not worry about taking special precautions.
In November, I produced an exhibit of 42-36x24 prints on canvas that I zip-tied to the fence printed on water-resistant canvas. The plan was to leave the show up for 60 days and then stash them away for reuse later. Well, they are still up. They have been rained upon, hail, frost, baked in the afternoon sun, whipped by wind. A few have suffered minor damage from broken zip ties and the wind flapping them around. Yet, overall, most have survived and look nearly as good as when they were first put up. They will probably stay in the weather and on the fence through most of April.
I did no treatment to the canvas until they had been up for a week and the weather was good so I hit them with some hardware store clear spray paint, giving each a couple of coats, and that's it. I figured that would give them all just a little bit more protection from rubbing off the pigment.
Both my client and I are happy with the results. The original plan was to just leave them up for maybe 45 days but now it's more than double.
This treatment of the images for display was little more than to print onto the canvas from my Epson 9900 aqueous printer, punch grommets in the corners, and then zip-tie them to a fence. Fairly inexpensive overall, fast and easy!
The bottom line is that everyone is happy and the mission is accomplished!