Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Tripod?  (Read 10622 times)

sposch

Which Tripod?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 01:09:33 pm »

I just purchased a G1325 three months ago. It doesn't have the non-rotating legs. When did they update this? Has the 1325 been replaced by another model? I can't find the G1325 on the Gitzo website. Too many different names/models to keep track of!
Gitzo must have gone to the Canon school of product nomenclature.

Steve.

LA30

Which Tripod?
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 01:25:04 pm »

Dear Khurram,

"Anyone have any experience with the new leveling or gearing features on the gitzo's and if they are worth the premium?"

Please see my post

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....ndpost&p=100350

I really really like my NEW gitzo.  I have not seen a new geared column, sorry.  I do feel like they have fixed everything wrong with the old gitzos, I don't see any reason not to buy a new one...I am sure that they can't really improve on this new design any time soon.

Best of luck,

Ken
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:36:33 pm by kenscott30 »

MikeMike

• http://
Which Tripod?
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 08:09:51 pm »

I have a leveling head, though not Gitzo, but i do find it effective some of the time when shooting portrait orientation to get those few extra degrees in (i still haven't gotten the L plate) though if you have one of those its not that valuable and just ads weight.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:12:53 pm by MikeMike »

NYRich

Which Tripod?
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 08:55:29 am »

Daniel,

I also shoot mostly landscape but with Nikon gear that is similar to your Canon equipment weightwise.

For the past six months I've been using a Giottos GB3150 legset and Kirk BH3 head. The BH3 came with an Arca-Swiss type clamp (which I use) and generic plate (which I don't care for). Total cost was about $400USD. Even factoring in the L bracket and lens plate, you're not going to go much, if at all, over budget with this combination.

The Kirk BH3 handles the load very well and doesn't slip. While the Giottos legset isn't up to Gitzo in build quality, it's not at all bad. Without extending the center column, my viewfinder is right at eyelevel (I'm 5' 9") and the bottom leg sections still have about 4 inches left "unused".

Within a few years, I may have to replace the Giottos legs with a set of Gitzos but, until then, the Giottos is serving the purpose and only cost me $135USD from B&H. At that price, I will be happy to upgrade it when needed and/or budget allows.
Rich

Khurram

Which Tripod?
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

Dear Khurram,

"Anyone have any experience with the new leveling or gearing features on the gitzo's and if they are worth the premium?"
Please see my post

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....ndpost&p=100350

I really really like my NEW gitzo.  I have not seen a new geared column, sorry.  I do feel like they have fixed everything wrong with the old gitzos, I don't see any reason not to buy a new one...I am sure that they can't really improve on this new design any time soon.

Best of luck,

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I appreicate the link Ken as well as your feedback on the gitzo.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

nma

Which Tripod?
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 04:50:32 pm »

Anyone use a Feisol CF tripod? Seems to be 1/2 the price of a Gitzo, similar features.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too use a Feisol, the 3401 with the Acratech Ultimate ball head. Had this combo for 18 months. Hiking and travel in all kinds of conditions. No problems. Very stable.  For a 1-series camera, you might prefer one of the more sturdy Feisol models.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up