Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Tripod?  (Read 10621 times)

dhansak79

Which Tripod?
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:29:35 am »

I own a Canon 1Ds, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L and 300mm f/4 L IS and currently use a Manfrotto 190 Pro B with 488RC4 ball head.

Since I changed my camera equipment I am finding the 190 and ball head combination unsatisfactory as it is actually lighter than my camera!  The ball head is also not particularly suitable for the weight of gear.

I shoot almost exclusively landscape but do not carry my gear for long distances so am really looking for the most stable tripod and head combination I can get for around £300. Weight is not a huge issue although I want to be able to walk short distances with the tripod.

My local camera store have recommended the Manfrotto 475B combined with a Manfrotto 808RC4 3 way head.

Anyone have any other recommendations in this price range and for this purpose?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

thomas mcconville

• http://www.thomasmcconville.com
Which Tripod?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:06:55 pm »

I own a Canon 1Ds, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L and 300mm f/4 L IS and currently use a Manfrotto 190 Pro B with 488RC4 ball head.

Since I changed my camera equipment I am finding the 190 and ball head combination unsatisfactory as it is actually lighter than my camera!  The ball head is also not particularly suitable for the weight of gear.

I shoot almost exclusively landscape but do not carry my gear for long distances so am really looking for the most stable tripod and head combination I can get for around £300. Weight is not a huge issue although I want to be able to walk short distances with the tripod.

My local camera store have recommended the Manfrotto 475B combined with a Manfrotto 808RC4 3 way head.

Anyone have any other recommendations in this price range and for this purpose?

Thanks in advance

Daniel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Daniel, i have just about the same gear as you, and i picked the gitzo 1325 & arca swiss monoball b1, this combination is just great, i'd say about as good as it gets. rock solid and stable...highly recommended

francois

Which Tripod?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 02:41:40 am »

Hi Daniel, i have just about the same gear as you, and i picked the gitzo 1325 & arca swiss monoball b1, this combination is just great, i'd say about as good as it gets. rock solid and stable...highly recommended
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97853\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is a great combo but I doubt that you can get both the Arca Swiss B1 BH and the Gitzo tripod within dhansak79's budget (->£300).
Francois

dhansak79

Which Tripod?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:22:58 am »

This is a great combo but I doubt that you can get both the Arca Swiss B1 BH and the Gitzo tripod within dhansak79's budget (->£300).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just had a look and that tripod is £475 with the head coming in at £315 - a bit out of my price range at the moment having just bought the 1Ds and the 300mm lens.

thomas mcconville

Which Tripod?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:42:52 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
oops, i didnt see his budget

francois

Which Tripod?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:18:17 am »

Just had a look and that tripod is £475 with the head coming in at £315 - a bit out of my price range at the moment having just bought the 1Ds and the 300mm lens.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And on top of that, add an L-Plate ($180) and a lens plate ($60) and your budget is all over the roof!

Francois

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Which Tripod?
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 09:29:50 pm »

Watch the Buy/Sell fora for used 1325's coming up for sale at reasonable prices, as many folks seem to be upgrading to the new models.  (I'm keeping mine.)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

thomas mcconville

Which Tripod?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 10:23:11 pm »

Watch the Buy/Sell fora for used 1325's coming up for sale at reasonable prices, as many folks seem to be upgrading to the new models.  (I'm keeping mine.)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
im keeping mine too, its the best damn set of legs ive ever had, cant see how they can improve on the 1325 but im sure they did.

aaykay

Which Tripod?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:46:39 pm »

im keeping mine too, its the best damn set of legs ive ever had, cant see how they can improve on the 1325 but im sure they did.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The load capacity has increased, along with features like "Anti-leg rotation" (ALR) and gravity lock.   The weight has also reduced over the previous generation.

aaykay

Which Tripod?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 11:50:49 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you bought a top-of-the-line camera and all excellent lenses and are under-budgeting for a tripod.      JMHO.

Especially since you mention that you are primarily a landscape photographer.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:53:08 pm by aaykay »

DarkPenguin

Which Tripod?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 12:33:41 am »

If you want to go cheap and buy better later on something like the slik dx700 (or something that) would be about $125 and do a nice (not great) job.

Paul Kay

• http://
Which Tripod?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 03:54:40 am »

I notice that Robert White (wwwrobertwhite.co.uk) is clearing some Gitzos which might be of interest (under secondhand at the bottom of the page - I've no affiliation!).

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Which Tripod?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 02:39:55 am »

The load capacity has increased, along with features like "Anti-leg rotation" (ALR) and gravity lock.   The weight has also reduced over the previous generation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98022\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been upgrading almost a year ago from a 1227 to a 1257, and the anti-leg rotation is a great feature.

It does speed up significantly the use of the tripod in the field, although I feel that they may make the legs a bit more prone to locking in deep sub-zero conditions.

Cheers,
Bernard

LeifG

Which Tripod?
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 08:13:46 am »

That is a fairly sturdy head. Have you tried using a remote/cable release and mirror lock up?

Unfortunately quality tripods cost a lot. I use a Uniloc 1700 with Markins M10 which is not expensive and fine with a camera and 200mm micro lens. But good technique is essential i.e. keep the legs as short as possible, ensure the feet are on a firm base, lock the tripod and head, use a remote release, and use mirror lock up when possible. The FLM heads (see www.speedgraphic.co.uk) seem to offer good value. Also Cullmann have launched some nice looking modestly priced heads though how they perform in practice is unclear.

aaykay

Which Tripod?
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 12:46:45 am »

I have been upgrading almost a year ago from a 1227 to a 1257, and the anti-leg rotation is a great feature.

It does speed up significantly the use of the tripod in the field, although I feel that they may make the legs a bit more prone to locking in deep sub-zero conditions.

Cheers,
Bernard

I have not used my 5540LS in sub-zero conditions yet but I agree that the ALR is a great feature.  This feature itself makes the new models worthwhile.  

Gitzo also claims that the G-lock makes the new models 20% more rigid than the previous models.  If so, then I would think the 4-section models in the new generation would be comparable to the 3-section models from the prior generation for rigidity.

dhansak79

Which Tripod?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 06:13:31 pm »

Sorry to bring this up again but the Manfrotto 475B that I bought is literally falling apart after only 3 weeks of daily professional use.  I lost a few springs and ball bearings in a client's house (I shoot properties for marketing) as I tried to close one of the legs down.  The legs have become more and more stubborn to the point where they really won't open up or close without some serious strength and weight being applied to them.

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and just get a set of legs that will do the job properly.

Gitzo 1340 a good choice?  Weight is not an issue for me really so the extra cost of the 1325V doesn't seem worth it - does that sound fair?  It will mean investing a further £50 which is fine.  I can afford to budget around £400 max on a set of legs.  The 1340 is £250 with the 1325V coming in at £550.

I will just continue to use my Manfrotto 808RC4 head on these legs.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Daniel

Geoff Wittig

Which Tripod?
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 10:30:28 am »

Here's a contrarian view...
I found the Gitzo's mostly overpriced, and the lighter ones not quite tall enough for me. I use an Eos-1Ds II, often with the 70-200 f:2.8 IS or 100-400 IS lenses. I've found through experience that using any center column elevation causes instant instability, so the legs have to be long enough. I'm 6'2" tall, and find that landscape photos taken on any kind of slope require a taller tripod than you would think, at least if you don't want to be squatting all day; my middle-aged knees don't tolerate that anymore.
I ended up getting a Velbon "NeoCarmagne" 830. It's rock-solid, reasonably light carbon fiber construction, and the legs alone go well above 6'8". Its collar locks IMHO are easier to handle and much less likely to jam than Gitzo's. It also goes down to ground level, once you take a hacksaw to the redundant center column.
This tripod is $599, or £309. A little steep for legs alone, but it'll last forever.

trigeek

Which Tripod?
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 08:18:42 pm »

Anyone use a Feisol CF tripod? Seems to be 1/2 the price of a Gitzo, similar features.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:18:58 pm by trigeek »

ceyman

Which Tripod?
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 08:30:34 pm »

Anyone use a Feisol CF tripod? Seems to be 1/2 the price of a Gitzo, similar features.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There have been several comments recently on the forum about them, all positive.  I purchased the CT-3441B a month ago for backpacking and am quite pleased with it.  

In reference to Michael's pet peeve about twisting legs, the CT3441 has that characteristic as does the Gitzo, but I've lived with that on all my tripods for so long that it's become second nature to loosen & tighten them in the correct order to avoid the problem, though it would be nice not to have to do so.

carl

Khurram

Which Tripod?
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 02:10:14 am »

I'm also looking for some advice on a tripod.

I'd like to upgrade from my Gitzo CF 1228 mkII, for something a little sturdier.  I had originally planned on getting the 1327 or the 1348.

However last fall when i was at the tetons, i ran into a couple of photograhers who said that Gitzo has (and was in the process) of updating all of their CF tripods.

I'm still looking for something lightweight, but just a bit sturdier.  I currently use a RRS BH-55 and shoot with 1DmkIIN and xti currently.

I read Michael's review on the Induro and while the review was mainly positive, except that he pointed out that you can't get low enough with them, which is a requirement i have (i've got the smaller centre column with my gitzo, and want to be able to get to near ground level.

Anyone have any experience with the new leveling or gearing features on the gitzo's and if they are worth the premium?
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up