Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dye Sublimation Printer Questions  (Read 1401 times)

1PhotoGuyinNM

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
Dye Sublimation Printer Questions
« on: January 28, 2025, 08:01:34 pm »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the color and B&W capabilities of the Epson F570 Dye Sub printer with their newer SureColor F6470H.  The F570 is a 4 color CYMK printer whereas the F6470H is a 6-color printer that is configurable as CMYK plus Light Cyan and Light Magenta.  My primary interest is in dye sublimation of Chromaluxe metal panels so I would like smooth tonal color gradations, neutral B&W prints, and minimized ink dot size. 

I currently do not have a dye sub printer, but I am also consider converting my Epson P800 into a dedicated Dye Sub printer using InkOwl Performance-Ultra Sublimation Inks. Has anyone had any experience with these ink sets? According to InkOwl, no special RIP software is required to use this ink, and you can print directly from the Epson drivers.  The InkOwl Dye Sub ink set for the P800 consists of: black, cyan, magenta, yellow, light cyan, light magenta, light black, and light light black.

In terms of print quality, would it be better to convert my P800 rather than purchase the F570, or should I bite the bullet and purchase the F6470H?  Any input would be greatly appreciated. 
Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Dye Sublimation Printer Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2025, 10:16:58 am »

We do quite a bit of Dye sub printing. I had a P8000  8 color Ink Owl inset with the 700ml refillable carts along with the f570.
One color went out on the P8000 and rather then replace the head I sold it to a fella that was going to convert it to piezography.
You can probably go back through the threads and follow my struggles with getting a good neutral black and white.
 I make my own profiles and although I got some decent results I was just never really happy. Ink Owl has a really good product.
 Even working with their tech support guy a really good black and white was tough to hit to the point that I stopped taking B&W metal orders.
The f570 was slightly better even though it is cmyk only. I probably ran through $500 worth of smaller metal blanks trying to chase this down.
My suggestion would be to see if Lexjet in Sarasota will run you some B&W samples to compare on the F570 and F6470 even if it costs you.
Other possible issues. We have bigger presses and found out early on that the f570 (Our first dye sub printer) could not even print off a 24x36 and we had requests for even larger.
So a big press from Geo. Knight may have to be in your budget. I cannot speak highly enough about our 32x42 Maxi press air, fantastic machine.
I have cut some rolls to 24.25 and can now do 24x36 and 24x24 on the f570. Print 24.2x36.2 for the bleed and it works fine. My phone number is on my website, give me a call if you would like to discuss.
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

1PhotoGuyinNM

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
Re: Dye Sublimation Printer Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2025, 03:24:16 am »

Excellent information and thank you.  I will contact Lexjet about samples for both printers. You mention the Geo Knight Maxi-Press.  Is there an advantage to getting the MAXI PRESS AIR in the 32x42 instead of the MAXI PRESS manual in the 32 x 42?  The Maxi Press Air is over $3000 more than the manual press. Does the Maxi Press Air do a better job at sublimating panels?  Better control of pressure?  The 44" x 64” in either air or manual is outside my budget.

Also, it sounds like you do a lot of laminating and mounting of various materials and substrates.  I would like to use heat and/or pressure activated mounting and laminating materials in the Maxi-Press rather than buy a roll laminator.  Is this realistic?  A roll laminator is not in my budget at this point and face mounting prints to acrylic sounds like a PITA and is not something I am interested in doing myself. 

 I foresee wanting to mount and laminate inkjet paper prints, canvas and metal prints to various substrates such as Gatorboard, wood and Dibond/Alupanel.  Is the Maxi Press compatible with those materials?  Any recommendations on what materials to use for laminating and mounting in the Maxi Press? 

I think you mentioned air release laminates work well with the press. It sounds like DryTac Artshield Santinex and Mattex work well on inkjet prints and canvas in the press. Does the Seal Print UV Luster work as well?  As far as mounting adhesive would you recommend Seal Print Mount Ultra or something else? 


Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Dye Sublimation Printer Questions
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2025, 07:53:49 am »

You are my ideal candidate for a workshop. Looking to buy the "right" equipment and get off on the right foot.
Canvas on gator board we use liquid adhesive Miracle Muck, outstanding product.
We still spray our canvas for protection but the Maxi press works great to adhere a vinyl over laminate.
The Drytac satinex and mattex with air release is the perfect product for canvas and fine art cotton based paper. No good for rc papers.
For mounting our cotton based paper paper we mount those to 3/16" gator that already has an attached adhesive. Saves a ton of time.
Seal print mount ultra works well if you want to lay up your own adhesive panels although expensive. I believe General has a very similar product.
The manual press is a very good press although many are going for the Chinese 31x39 press for less that $3000, I don't know anything about them other than the price is crazy cheap.
Again don't hesitate to call me. Hate to bother these great folks with stuff they have heard a dozen times.
Happy to help.
Dan
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab
Pages: [1]   Go Up