Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Morocco  (Read 17683 times)

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2025, 04:17:29 am »

Biblical scene in Fes, Morocco.

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2025, 05:15:17 am »

Big Brother's Hand-Me-Down Sweatshirt, Meknes, Morocco.

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2025, 06:45:25 am »

Blacksmith, Fes, Morocco.

Frans Waterlander

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1046
Re: Morocco
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2025, 12:17:29 pm »

Awesome photos, Keith. On the last one, I would have cloned out the bright white area (window or wall opening?) just above the man.
Logged

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2025, 03:34:08 pm »

Awesome photos, Keith. On the last one, I would have cloned out the bright white area (window or wall opening?) just above the man.

Thanks Frans, appreciated.

Frankly I couldn't decide if it added or detracted. I did consider removing it but it just felt a step too far. I'd be fascinated to know what others here feel about it.

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Morocco
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2025, 06:00:47 pm »

i think it is needed as it shows where the light from the back is coming from on the interior of the shop. Since it is washed out hi key, it doesn't detract to me.
Logged

Frans Waterlander

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1046
Re: Morocco
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2025, 12:06:36 am »

i think it is needed as it shows where the light from the back is coming from on the interior of the shop. Since it is washed out hi key, it doesn't detract to me.
In my opinion, the light is overwhelminbly coming from the front.
Logged

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2025, 02:56:31 am »

i think it is needed as it shows where the light from the back is coming from on the interior of the shop. Since it is washed out hi key, it doesn't detract to me.

Thanks, opinion has been divided when I've shown it to people in person. It would be easy to remove but I tend to be happier with authenticity.

Jury is out.

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2025, 06:17:26 am »

OK, here is a version without it.

Frans Waterlander

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1046
Re: Morocco
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2025, 12:13:02 pm »

Yes, that's it!
Logged

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Morocco
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2025, 01:19:32 pm »

It's marginally better without the window; I think a decent compromise would to darken, without completely removing, it; it is a little distracting in the original.

It's the age-old dilemma: are you a photojournalist, debarred from significant alteration to the scene as it was, or a photographer working only towards a final image which pleases you (and, perhaps, your audience).

I confess I tend very much to the latter.

Jeremy
Logged

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2025, 03:54:31 pm »

[quote author=Jeremy Roussak link=topic=144377.msg1265925#msg1265925 date=1751044772

...It's the age-old dilemma: are you a photojournalist, debarred from significant alteration to the scene as it was, or a photographer working only towards a final image which pleases you (and, perhaps, your audience).

I confess I tend very much to the latter.

Jeremy
[/quote]

Thanks. Moi aussi

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2025, 06:08:59 am »

Hmm, Tiger...What Tiger? Fes, Morocco.

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Morocco
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2025, 09:19:54 am »

It's the age-old dilemma: are you a photojournalist, debarred from significant alteration to the scene as it was . . .

Or, perhaps more accurately, as the mechanical contraption of camera sensor and lens (and optionally in-camera processing) happened to record it.  I'm appalled by news photographs of buildings that exhibit severe cartoonish keystoning that could easily have been corrected or at least ameliorated in post.  Nobody's eyes and brain perceive vertical lines that way.

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2025, 05:06:12 pm »

On the Streets.

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Morocco
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2025, 11:09:37 am »

i think Russ would approve. Some interpretation left to the viewer.
Logged

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2025, 04:19:05 am »

...Some interpretation left to the viewer.

Agreed. So far, of all the images I've posted to this thread, I believe only two would then qualify.

Perhaps any definition of 'Street' would need your observation to be included? I'd be happy enough with that.

I have to admit that most of my work wouldn't meet my own purist led definition.

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Morocco
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2025, 09:11:15 am »

IMO, usually, there is some sort of dynamic, a tension, a question, a mystery,  between humans either both in the scene or maybe one/something off camera
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25142
Re: Morocco
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2025, 10:07:12 am »

That’s some friggin’ mosquito, hanging up there in the left upper corner of the arch! I hope they don’t cross over to Spain…

;-)

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Morocco
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2025, 03:51:55 pm »

That’s some friggin’ mosquito, hanging up there in the left upper corner of the arch! I hope they don’t cross over to Spain…

;-)

That'll be John Hurt's Alien, now residing on the streets of Morocco and in rude health.

;-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up