Hi. I recently received a fine art print on canvas from an online company that produces such (art-prints-on-demand.com). I have two others in my home which are varnished, but I ordered this one not varnished because I thought that would better suit the lighting conditions. I have had the canvas stretched and framed, and am noticing that it has a smell, which is unsettling to me especially because the print is now hung in the room where I sleep. My questions are: 1) Should I worry about this smell? 2) Would varnishing have sealed the print in a way that would keep this smell from being emitted? 3) Can/should I now remove the print from the frame and varnish it manually, using a water-based product (or would I then have to be just as worried about fumes from the varnish? The canvases that I received from a different company MD-canvas also had a smell to them initially, but I left them in a well ventilated space for a few days and this disappeared. This unvarnished canvas seems to have a much more lasting smell. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
JCS