Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will old lenses fit new Canon 5D?  (Read 7782 times)

lunaphoto

Will old lenses fit new Canon 5D?
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:08:41 pm »

Ok, I've been shooting on digital for nearly 5 yrs, and still don't know much about the technical side...  Embarrasing but true!  

So hoping you guys could help me out a bit!

I'm saving up for a Canon 5D, and as it's full frame, I don't know if my old lenses will work with it...

1) I've got a Canon 24-85mm EF lens that I had for my Film SLR: Eos 5.

2) I also have a Sigma 15-30mm DG lens ("EX Aspherical IF" whatever that means...) that I use on my digital Canon 10D.

So if anyone could let me know if these would work on the 5D?  

I know this camera is worth better lenses than that, but my work requires me to now have a higher mega pixel count, and this is the one I ultimately want to own.  Then I'll save up for new lenses.  So it would be great if someone could also recommend a good quality Canon zoom lens that fits the 5D, at least 18mm wide.  

Thank you so, so, sooooo much for your help!!!  

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:11:45 pm »

They'll work.  The 5D might be brutal to them but they will function.

lunaphoto

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:27:47 pm »

They'll work.  The 5D might be brutal to them but they will function.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ooh, please explain more, what do you mean with brutal?  Thanks!

picnic

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:42:12 pm »

Ooh, please explain more, what do you mean with brutal?  Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97378\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He means they won't be so good due to the 5D being more demanding.  I have the 15-30 (have had it for years--it was the only game in town for a WA zoom back in D30/60 days)-and my copy is quite nice on the 5D.  I thought I would sell it and buy a 16-35 or perhaps the Sigma 12-24 but its very good stopped down.  Sigma does have a reputation for some quality control issues, but most people have found theirs does a good job on the 5D.  Its biggest problems are flaring, not being able to fit a filter--and some complain about a warmish color caste, but that's easily rectifiable by shooting RAW and adjusting WB.

I have no idea about the other one.

Two wide Canons to consider would be the 16-35 f/2.8 and the 17-40 f/4.  What you might find is that with the 5D you may not need the 18mm.  I find myself shooting at 24mm on my 24-70L quite a lot (interiors) and occasionally pulling out the 15-30 for wider (I also have a 20 prime, but rarely use it).

Diane
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 06:44:35 pm by picnic »

lunaphoto

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:07:55 pm »

He means they won't be so good due to the 5D being more demanding.  I have the 15-30 (have had it for years--it was the only game in town for a WA zoom back in D30/60 days)-and my copy is quite nice on the 5D.  I thought I would sell it and buy a 16-35 or perhaps the Sigma 12-24 but its very good stopped down.  Sigma does have a reputation for some quality control issues, but most people have found theirs does a good job on the 5D.  Its biggest problems are flaring, not being able to fit a filter--and some complain about a warmish color caste, but that's easily rectifiable by shooting RAW and adjusting WB.

I have no idea about the other one.

Two wide Canons to consider would be the 16-35 f/2.8 and the 17-40 f/4.  What you might find is that with the 5D you may not need the 18mm.  I find myself shooting at 24mm on my 24-70L quite a lot (interiors) and occasionally pulling out the 15-30 for wider (I also have a 20 prime, but rarely use it).

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent, thanks for that.  The company I work for ask for us to have at least 18mm wide (or 12mm if non-full frame camera), so have to have a wide one.

I would be using the Sigma 15-30 a lot, basically perhaps 2000 shots per month.  Hopefully it would last at least some time, as I think it would take a while to save up for a better one.

The other lens, Canon EF 24-85 I would only use occasionally.  

Does anyone else know about the latter, how it works for this camera?

I'm welcoming everyones views on this.  And thank you so much for the help so far!  I'm a newbie, but was recommended this forum by someone who seems to use it a lot, and it seems great!  

Oh, and you mention the Sigma 12-24, do you think this one would be more suitable for the camera than the 15-30 I have at the mo, or is it the same story there?  

Thanks!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:40:56 pm »

I didn't mean that as an editorial thing about the specific lenses (I've heard nice things about the 24-85 particularly for its price.) but rather that the 5D is very good at showing flaws in lenses.  (Excellent sensor combined with the ability to pixel peep.)

stever

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:48:46 pm »

i just bought a 5D and 24-105 - in the process of planning a trip to Egypt in March got sucked into testing my lenses and more pixel peeping than i'd planned

from 24-85mm wide open and  at f8 i found the 24-85 and 24-105 to be virtually indistinduishable (same vignetting wide open as well)

hopefully this is a testimony to the goodness of the 24-85 as i found it very close to the 90TS at 85mm (which i'd never even thought of trying until it looke so held up so well compared to the 24-105)

i suggest you test the sigma vs the 24-85 at 24mm to get a sense of what it can do - my experience with the 3rd party lenses is that they fall down on contrast even if the resolution is okay

i'll post my generalized results in a few days, but i've got to peep a few more pixels

stever

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:01:05 pm »

i also have a Sigma 12-24 which i bought for my old 10D before anything else was available -- mine (and what i've read is that these lenses have considerable variability) is not bad on center but pretty soft on the edges at f8 and suffers from the 3rd party lack of contrast that i mentioned

i believe the Canon 17-40 wil be better if you don't wider angle

if you're primary need is for a wide angle, search the posts for range finder wide-angles adapted - i'm hoping that Canon will soon announce some better wide lenses

dobson

• http://
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 11:23:02 pm »

I have the 24-85 and use it on my 20D. This lens performs nicely at its optimal apertures (around f/10). The corners are noticably soft at f/5 even on a cropped sensor. Overall it's a good lightweight lens, especially if you don't shoot wide open.

Phillip

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 12:55:50 am »

If you have a good copy of the EF 24-85 3.5-4.5 USM, it's decent wide open and very sharp by F8. I used mine briefly on my 5D before buying an EF 24-105 4L IS USM. I found the 24-105 deadly sharp and super contrasty wide open, noticeably whipping the 24-85. However stopped down a bit they are very similar. Of course the IS function is amazing!

Both have decent control of flare abeit the 24-85 has heavier barrel distortion at 24mm.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:56:24 am by gochugogi »
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

lunaphoto

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 04:11:22 am »

i just bought a 5D and 24-105 - in the process of planning a trip to Egypt in March got sucked into testing my lenses and more pixel peeping than i'd planned

i'll post my generalized results in a few days, but i've got to peep a few more pixels
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97426\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can someone explain what "pixel peeping" means?  Sorry if it seems obvious to everyone else...  

Do post your results, very interesting to see!

Soooooooooooooooooo, back to my original question, am I safe to state that my lenses WILL fit and work on the 5D, although not to it's best capacity?

I'm so over the moon that this will work!       As my job now requires at least 10Mp I had bought the 400D with the Canon 10-22mm EF-S, but after taking a couple of test snaps at home it's been staying in its box.  The lens is lovely, but the 400D is horrible. To hold, to look at, to operate - everything.  So reselling it, and the lens, and the grip, hood, filter, the lot.  Basically, due to lack of knowledge (that you have now given me), I thought I really couldn't afford the 5D.  But as I can use my old lenses, the only thing I would need to buy would be the body, which is only a bit more expensive than the package I bought for the 400D!  And it's such a shame to have a lovely lens like 10-22 EF-S, but only being able to use it on a nasty camera like 400D...  

If any of you guys were planning to buy the 400D, I can recommend it, but only as a back up camera or holiday camera due to its size, which is great.  The pixel count is great at 10Mp, and I'm sure it's a great camera in it's class.  But to have shot on larger cameras like Eos 5 and 10D, it feels really strange.

picnic

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 07:23:42 am »

Can someone explain what "pixel peeping" means?  Sorry if it seems obvious to everyone else... 

Do post your results, very interesting to see!

Soooooooooooooooooo, back to my original question, am I safe to state that my lenses WILL fit and work on the 5D, although not to it's best capacity?

I'm so over the moon that this will work!       As my job now requires at least 10Mp I had bought the 400D with the Canon 10-22mm EF-S, but after taking a couple of test snaps at home it's been staying in its box.  The lens is lovely, but the 400D is horrible. To hold, to look at, to operate - everything.  So reselling it, and the lens, and the grip, hood, filter, the lot.  Basically, due to lack of knowledge (that you have now given me), I thought I really couldn't afford the 5D.  But as I can use my old lenses, the only thing I would need to buy would be the body, which is only a bit more expensive than the package I bought for the 400D!  And it's such a shame to have a lovely lens like 10-22 EF-S, but only being able to use it on a nasty camera like 400D... 

If any of you guys were planning to buy the 400D, I can recommend it, but only as a back up camera or holiday camera due to its size, which is great.  The pixel count is great at 10Mp, and I'm sure it's a great camera in it's class.  But to have shot on larger cameras like Eos 5 and 10D, it feels really strange.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, no question that they will work with it--any lens with Canon EF mount will work (well, to qualify that, some much older Sigmas appear to need rechipping and Sigma won't/can't do quite old ones I've heard).  You can also use a number of other lenses with adaptors.

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up