Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: where do I go from a z3100?  (Read 945 times)

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
where do I go from a z3100?
« on: October 18, 2024, 05:22:48 pm »

My beloved designjet z3100 is getting very long in the tooth. I replaced the belt recently and things seem sort of ok, but print heads failing and cost / availability of printheads & inks is making me nervous

So my question is, where do I go from here? Do I ditch the 24" rolls and go to a smaller 17" sheet printer like a canon? I love printing wide, I really dont want to lose that
the later Z series printers dont seem to have the reputation that the z3100/3200 series has.

I print rarely, possible 5 prints a month. So need something which can sit for a while unused.

Any suggestions please?
thanks
Logged

Kyle Jackson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 532
    • Lone Leaf Photography
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2024, 07:42:38 pm »

Hi, I asked about a similar topic a while ago and didn't get much feedback but it might still interest you:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=143484.msg1258551#msg1258551

Tbh if your printing volume is low like that (like mine) maybe just keep rolling with the Z3100. Heads can be self-serviced to keep them going (simply weigh them to monitor them, something I wish I knew years ago!). And ink lasts very long time so there's usually stuff floating around on ebay etc. I gave up on official HP reseller supplies this year since they couldn't get stuff half the time here in Canada (because discontinued), and started getting things from ebay. Heads are the hardest to find so servicing the ones I have made a huge difference. Still a fraction of cost of getting into a new printer and consumables.

But I figure it'll end eventually... The bigger question is will I still be printing then? Or really need to do it myself? I dunno. It's tough to let go of some things...
Logged

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2024, 08:27:48 am »

Thanks
Yeah am also in Canada

I do wonder how much i have thrown at it over the years to keep the thing going. looking back at printhead purchases over the past few years is not fun. for example I noticed I bought a M/Y printhead only two years ago, and had to replace it this week - looking at the warranty on the replaced one, it expired 2 months ago, and I have now replaced it with one which expired 4 years ago :/

They are also getting more and more expensive, as is the ink.

Then today I print and notice black ink drops all over the print, so something isnt cleaning properly or, dear god, the black printhead is giving up

At some point I need to cut my losses
Logged

Kyle Jackson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 532
    • Lone Leaf Photography
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2024, 09:45:31 am »

You still have that M/Y printhead? What specifically happened to it? Was there an error code?

Heads generally die for one reason: they get air in them over time until eventually they are trying to print with air instead of ink and the thermal head burns out (which will have an error code). Usually you encounter print quality issues long before that to know it's happening. Or can weigh the heads -- 60 g is full, and ~45 g is empty. If there's just print qual issues and no error code, then most likely the head is just low on ink in 1 or both colours.

You can purge the air from heads and re-prime them with ink and they run again like new. If we had all known this years ago we could have saved $$$!!! on heads replacements (and burning ink / paper in the process). But heads were cheaper and easier to get, replacing was less work. And I think we didn't know then what we know now. The head shortage / discontinuation has bred innovation.

So if you implement some practices you can keep your heads going a very long time, and restore some that "stopped working" previously to have as spares. (Or if you do decide to dump the printer, I'll take them haha!) But the best thing you can do right now is remove the heads to weigh them (and clean them while at it).


As for the black spots, a photo would help diagnose because it depends on the location on the print and shape. But more than likely there is simply some crud on the underside of the printheads and carriage, and also built up around the service station on the right side. It builds up over time, especially in printers that sit idle. It's easy to clean tho. So it's not the head itself.


Logged

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2024, 10:12:39 am »

M/Y just stopped printing yellow and the alignment printout looked like a WW2 morse code message , rather than lines.

yeah black spots are just crap on the roller. Needs to be cleaned
« Last Edit: October 19, 2024, 10:29:08 am by Endeavour »
Logged

Kyle Jackson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 532
    • Lone Leaf Photography
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2024, 01:05:12 pm »


Ok if that M-Y was just print qual issues like that and there was no error message that said the head needed to be replaced, then it's likely just air in the head and it needs to be refilled with ink.

You can confirm head (and ink) status/error codes on the printer front panel menu under Information > System Logs > Printheads (or Ink Cartridges). I think it remembers the last 3 heads/inks used in each slot. There are numbers next to Status and Error Code. We can look those numbers up in the service manual to check the status of the head.

If there are no bad error codes, then there's a good chance the head is still fine, and it just needs the air removed and re-primed with ink.

Also weigh all your heads, they should be 60 g if full.

More details: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=141083.msg1258667#msg1258667
Logged

aaronleitz

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2024, 02:34:09 pm »

I have been very happy with my Canon 4100. It's two years old and goes weeks without printing and then fires up just fine. I assume the 24" version is just as good. I like that there's only one head to replace if needed and help/advice is easy to find because so many people use Canons.
Logged

Nora_nor

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 169
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2024, 03:50:08 am »

Just some info I picked up, those old z printers may start rejecting printheads and report random problems because the BIOS battery runs out
Logged

Kyle Jackson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 532
    • Lone Leaf Photography
Re: where do I go from a z3100?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2024, 10:42:22 am »

Just some info I picked up, those old z printers may start rejecting printheads and report random problems because the BIOS battery runs out

Yup they can for sure, and it's an easy thing to replace the watch battery.

But @Endeavour mentioned the M-Y printhead simply had print qual issues, not errors, so more likely it's too much air in the printhead and it just needs to be reprimed.

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up